Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDC Skimmer for Flex Radios

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Erik, The program that sends spots to SmartSDR needs to provide the date and time. The "permanent" spots that I use in my TeensyMaestro all come out with a 1/1/1970 date, as I did not implement a real-time clock.

Per the API documentation:

<timestamp>        = Optional. The reported timestamp of the spot in Unix time (seconds since midnight Jan 1, 1970 UTC).

Example:

C179|spot add rx_freq=14.178 callsign=KE5DTO mode=USB color=#FF0000FF source=N1MM spotter_callsign=N5AC timestamp=1533196800 lifetime_seconds=3600 priority=4 comment=thanks

• EI2GLB
    EI2GLB Member ✭✭

Thanks Erik, I never noticed it before,

One less thing to worry about then, I will do some more testing over the weekend but I seem to be up and running, I am unsure about the contest part and if I need a new Key but will look into that when I get that far,

Trevor

EI2GLB

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023

I was stuck using the DAX-SmartSDR setup because up until now all I got with SmartSDR API was a dead, frozen screen even though I set it up exactly like the manual says (I think...) I had resigned myself to "oh, well it's one of those radio mysteries". Then today while trying it yet again I just happened to turn off the DAX IQ streams by accident and the skimmer started decoding just like it should.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭

Len: thank you. So that will be Yuri's choice as to whether to add a date. I do not think it is useful personally and if doing so adds more traffic between SDC and the Flex server I would not see any sense to it.

Trevor: if you do not have access to the Contest module you will need a new key, assuming you are interested in it. I am not a contester but SDC Contest has brought to life the CW, RTTY and PSK tests that have come up since Yuri developed the module.

Rick: 😊

• Piero Ferrua
    Piero Ferrua Member ✭✭

Grazie Martin_G4ENZ, problem solved 👍️

73 IZ1XEE

• Martin_G4ENZ
    Martin_G4ENZ Member ✭✭

Piero,

You might find it useful to enable IQ Band Plan control...

This will give you a reference that shows in RED where your IQ data is and in WHITE where you have SDC set to decode. The frequency of the Slice is a coloured dot. I set this window "On Top" and place it over my SSDR window like this...

In the example above, CW decoding is set for 10100-10150 and I have 96kHz of IQ data with its centre at 10125.

73 Martin

• Piero Ferrua
    Piero Ferrua Member ✭✭

Thanks again Martin,

I will use your spscifica when I use the Flex from the qth while when I use it remotely (QRL) not.

In fact, the IQ data are not enabled for remote use because they occupy too high a bandwidth and for this reason they have been disabled when using the MASTRO.

Thank you very much for the specification of the IQ window ban plane control I finally understand what it does and how it works.

A cordial greeting 73 Piero

• Piero Ferrua
    Piero Ferrua Member ✭✭

Sorry Martin,

how do i define the width of the white line ( cw encoding of sdc) ? - "mostra in ROSSO dove si trovano i tuoi dati IQ e in BIANCO dove hai impostato SDC per la decodifica"-

Currently 30Hz covers me, a pileup from Crozet.....

Can I reduce it?

Thank you

• Martin_G4ENZ
    Martin_G4ENZ Member ✭✭

The white line is the range of frequencies SDC is decoding. This is set in the Band Plan.

I set this to the "normal" range of frequencies for the mode. SDC is very efficient, I do not narrow the decoding frequencies whilst listening to a pile-up.

In a big contest like CQWW I set it much wider. 14000-14150 on CW and 14060-14150 on RTTY.

73 Martin

• Piero Ferrua
    Piero Ferrua Member ✭✭

Thanks again,

very exhaustive and detailed, better not to change anything!

If I can be of help in the field of optics, I am happy to be of help.

Sincerely 73 IZ1XEE

• Erik Carling EI4KF

SDC is updated to version 17.0705 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_9lg1kDGIKZ5FRADccEaASV9ci3uzRxF/view?usp=sharing

In addition to the recent changes of a new system of contest files (rules, section data, history data for each individual contest), date/time added to Spots, decoder windows assigned to Slice(s):

This version introduces callsign stacking for digi-mode contests to queue respondents answering when in Run mode).

Yuri is working on enhancing his user manual for the Contest module. SDC website is at 1.News — SDC (lw-sdc.com)

In the meantime, I have updated my offering in case it helps and which includes instructions for callsign stacking in the SDC Contest section of the document.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbiweiglsbj44f3/SDC%20SKIMMER%20WITH%20FLEX%20RADIO.pdf?dl=0

• Erik Carling EI4KF

Yuri continues to work on SDC for us Flex users. The newest innovation concerns the contest SpotList feature.

Band maps and list of Spots in most software afford a reasonably efficient method of quickly identifying multipliers and working a band. Sometimes though the contester clicks on call to QSY to it only to find it was in S/P mode and has gone.

Time wasting doing this is now alleviated by the SDC SpotList window dynamically identifying which stations are transmitting and which are not, thus making it possible to prioritize those most likely to produce a QSO.

Red square - TX, green - RX

Personally I think this is a really neat feature.

Latest SDC test version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12A1fBuB51TU5Nlx3eS0L2w7jlqFcAc71/view?usp=sharing

• Iu4jnr
    Iu4jnr Member ✭✭

Hi Erik,

it seems that the file is no more available.

Max IU4JNR

• UT4LW
    UT4LW Member ✭✭

The test version of SDC 17.0715 is published.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited April 2023

Hello Max,

Yuri has moved on to a later version now. Please see his posting above.

Erik

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Yuri, the latest version on your site is still SDC 17.0703.

Please also consider to add a release notes for each version. Probably not everyone follow this discussion and it would be nice to know what changes coming in a newer version.

Sergey

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited April 2023

Should you wish to try the latest SDC ahead of any possible reply to you from Yuri, please scroll to the bottom of the page for the links and change notes.

Test version:

SDC 17.0717

Fixed bugs,

add column TX/RX into SDC-Contest->SpotList

Win64 Win32 MacOS

• Iu4jnr
    Iu4jnr Member ✭✭

Good evening all,

Using the SKM/599 function, when i'm in split I'm use to move the slices aside to have the whole representation of the pile up.

Doing this unfortunately moves the SDC/SKM LO and as consequence, it decodes only part of the pileup

In the above pics it's shown the pileup is decoded starting 21.0235 instead of 21020.

I included a link to a video to better explain the behaviour.

Maybe my setup is not correct?

https://youtu.be/YqWYabdO2KE

Max IU4JNR

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited April 2023

Hello Max,

I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with your setup. Yuri is looking into this. So please QRX and lets us see what he can do.

Erik.

• Erik Carling EI4KF

Hello Max,

Please try the latest SDC version 17.0804 at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Taqakbx6kmM7dyMXZwRKgZvtx-k6A8Bc/view?usp=sharing

Erik

• Iu4jnr
    Iu4jnr Member ✭✭

Ho Erik, i'll give it a try.

I reported the issue to Yuri and maybe he is taking care of it :)

Max IU4JNR

• Iu4jnr
    Iu4jnr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

Good evening all

Now the decoding window starts correctly righ after the DX station qrg and the decoding windows is correct. However, but it can be considered cosmethic, the red bar designator frequency span is not reflecting the decoding window.

Anyway, great job from Yuri.

Max

• Erik Carling EI4KF

I have not yet found a Split CW pile up with which to check it. When I do, I will prove any issue and provide Yuri with the data.

Erik.

• Iu4jnr
    Iu4jnr Member ✭✭

Hi all,

With the new release, available on SDC website, Yuri fixed the reported issue. Now on CW/Split works well. Thanks Yuri :)

Max IU4JNR

• Erik Carling EI4KF

The latest test version is 17.0807

In the document https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ispuEjIqxyRAHKpC43XKDSCdB8NzgUP/view?usp=sharing

see section "SDC Contest for CW, PSK, RTTY, SSB" - paragraph 3h for new digi-mode log file, useful for post-contest review of serials sent and received in order to correct any logging errors.

• Erik Carling EI4KF

SDC is updated to 17.1014 (test version) http://www.lw-sdc.com/?page_id=79

There have been numerous recent improvements and additions. One of the latest is auto control of the Panorama noise floor and, most interestingly, auto control of AGC-T.

Auto control of AGC-T adjusts the AGC threshold so that the noise level is at the value in "S/N". 

When enabled you will see in SmartSDR the AGC-T dynamically changing, always optimizing the receiver. Manual adjustment of AGC-T is not always convenient, especially in contests. Its calculation is not exact, as a large number of factors affect it. This value is set at your personal discretion. If the Skimmer remains operating, this function is available to all modes CW, SSB and digital.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

I installed ver 17.1015, enabled Auto control Pan noise floor and Auto Control AGC threshold.

I wanted to see how does it work.

I set up AGC-T to 100 and wanted to see it will automatically change, but it does not.

I closed/opened SDC, I changed above settings from 0 to 30, but I do not see slide for AGC-T moves.

Do I miss something?

Thanks,

Sergey,KN7K

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited July 2023

Is your Skimmer running and connected to the Flex by Control Type = SmartSDR API? You will see two connected plugs, TCP and UDP in the SmartSDR API tab

I cannot think of anything else to ask right now. But if still failing, let us know.

you should see the AGC-T value drop from 100 to the optimized value as calculated by SDC, which will depend on your band conditions and user defined S/N value.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Eric, my SKM is up and running, all settings the same as yours besides I do not have UDP Port connection by some reason that I cannot resolve yet. But I do not think UDP is involved here, am I wrong?

Sergey

• Erik Carling EI4KF

Sergey - hi, yes it is involved here and that there is no port connection is the reason for failure. One thing then to ask: do you have the port number at 4998? If not, please change to that number with API Client closed then attempt to reconnect. If it is already on 4998, try another number like 4999.

Erik

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.