Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDC Skimmer for Flex Radios

Options

Comments

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I guess I do not fully understand UDP settings, It was by default 4995 and I tried to change to 4998 and 4999 with reconnect, I do not see it connecting.

Should that UDP port be enabled in Radio Setup?

Sergey

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Forget about Radio Setup, everything is related to SDC alone. Bear with me because diagnosing at a distance is not straightforward. I assume you tried 4998 and still had the failure. If so, open a specific port in Windows Firewall. Take UDP port 4990: in Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security, select Inbound Rules, New Rule, Port, UDP, Specific local ports: 4990, Allow the Connection, check all 3 profiles (Domain, Private, Public), name it SDC 4990 and finish. Close Firewall and close the API Client connection in SDC. Change the UDP port to 4990 and reconnect.

Ensure Skimmer control is not using +DAX (which you have already confirmed). It has to work surely?

• CJ WT2P
    CJ WT2P Member
    Options
    Howdy Erik-
    Having the same UDP related issue here on W11. Got the test v of SDC (17.1015x64) running and I do *not* have Defender firewall active on any networks on this PC. Just as a test, I did as you suggested for Sergey and opened up UDP 4990 anyhow.

Same result... I have both the UDP and TCP log running, here's what the beginning of the TCP Log looks like

< C11|client udpport 4990
    > V1.4.0.0
    H058344FB
    M10000001|Client connected from IP 192.168.7.238

WT2P
  • CJ WT2P
    CJ WT2P Member
    Options
    > @"CJ WT2P" said:
    > Howdy Erik-
    > Having the same UDP related issue here on W11. Got the test v of SDC (17.1015x64) running and I do *not* have Defender firewall active on any networks on this PC. Just as a test, I did as you suggested for Sergey and opened up UDP 4990 anyhow.
    >
    > Same result... I have both the UDP and TCP log running, here's what the beginning of the TCP Log looks like
    >
    > < C11|client udpport 4990
    > > V1.4.0.0
    > H058344FB
    > M10000001|Client connected from IP 192.168.7.238
    >
    > WT2P

Perhaps as another datapoint, I am on SSDR v 3.4.23 ... A friend reports that he's not seeing this issue on v 3.3.33. I am going to try SSDR v. 3.4.24 since that's the latest.
  • CJ WT2P
    CJ WT2P Member
    Options
    Ok, a friend got it to work... In the SKM Server under each individual config, I was confused when you mentioned DAX + SmartSDR API... Changing each skimmer to use SmartSDR API did the trick.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ok, Thanks Eric, it worked.

Now, "Auto control Pan noise floor" seems like just visual in Panadapter. Anything below 10 is just moving floor line and scale below visible line. It is cool feature to keep floor line at the same level.

For AGC-T I put 8 but would like to know how to get that number "right".

Thanks

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited July 2023
    Options

Ok Sergey, yes the right number: In response that question to Yuri: "Erik, this value is set but at your personal discretion. In contests, I prefer 6 dB so I can hear a weak station. Its calculation is not exact, as a large number of factors affect it". 

It does depend on your over-air natural noise level. I have mine at 8 as that gives me the closest AGC-T level to a manual calculation on 20m at mid-day which is a level of 47. I have monitored SDC optimizing the receiver at other times of day and on other bands and the level it picks is circa 47 to 52 and is pretty much nailed on. Yuri is refining the feature and will improve it further as required.

Yes, Pan noise floor is a visual. I don't find it that interesting but in 2 days it has been remarkable the comments to me of 'great, now always at same level' or 'great, I like it to stay at zero'. I never knew anybody cared about it! The overwhelming feedback though has been appreciation of the auto AGC-T control, the importance of having this set correctly recently having been the subject of a Mike Walker You-Tube video on the Flex Channel.

This additional manual to Yuri's own SDC manual is always up-to-date with the latest new features and explanations. I will add opening a port in Windows 11 to it since CJ WT2P and yourself are not alone in experiencing the issue. This never used to happen - maybe some change in W11 due to a recent "update", though the 4995 default port that Yuri shows in documentation often fails because it is a port used by a different Flex client and hence can become blocked to SDC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, SDC version 17.1016 which I reference in above manual is available thus:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hD5o41CK5C40Qk7UT0ornBZqVZZrTOaM/view?usp=sharing

Added hotkeys DSP (Ctrl+1..4) / Added hotkeys filter control (Ctrl+-,Ctrl++) / Fixed bugs in WinKey / Adaptive control of panorama.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Eric, I am not sure if it was a port opening issue or my settings. My previous setting on SKM Server was DAX+SmartSDR API, at the same time SmartSDR API tab was set as SmartSDR API Client 1.

So, I changed SKM Server to SmartSDR API and added new rules for port 4999 at the same time and it worked.

I probably missed that step initially.

Sergey

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Ok Sergey, no worries. It can't hurt to have an advisory out there in case of a port issue. But thanks for clarifying. Yuri has to use the API-IQ thread to keep an eye on the noise level on the range. DAX-IQ is not suitable for this so DAX+SmartSDR API users (such as me) have to change if they want auto controlled AGC-T.

73 de Erik.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Video from Yuri UT4LW.

Flex-6400+SDC-Contest in EUHFC!

• sm6bga
    sm6bga Member ✭✭
    Options
    Very impressive. Where can I read about configuration of this ? Hans SM6BGA
  • Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

This is the contest module of SDC. Registration is required to facilitate its operation with Flex. Details at the SDC website SDC — Software Defined Connectors (lw-sdc.com)

The SDC author Yuri UT4LW has a link to the manual on the site. There is also https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbiweiglsbj44f3/SDC%20SKIMMER%20WITH%20FLEX%20RADIO.pdf?dl=0

and it is very easy to setup, far superior to N1MM, 5M Contest, etc.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Also, specific instructions for downloading the contest profile for EUHFC and the layout seen in the video can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0diiRHjAzJs

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I cannot add a profile by some reason. Any idea?

Thanks

Edit: Correction, I was able to add profile after I created a new folder "Profile" as it was not there.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I opened Contest module, need more time to learn but it looks impressive. Did not figure out Macros yet. When I closed Contest mode these 2 windows for both receivers still ON and I do not see how to close them and probably I need to know how to disable them in the future.

Hopefully Yuri is reading this discussion, I would like to request a new feature - minimize active window to a one line, if I minimize window vertically i can see 1.5 line that is ugly and not informative. This is because I place both windows on the Flex SW and trying to align on the SSDR window, see below

Thanks,

Sergey, KN7K

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited August 2023
    Options

When you load your contest profile, any changes to suit yourself can be made and then saved by updating that profile. To remove the IQ-Band Plan control, temporarily stop the Skimmer, open the Setup Skimmer 1 or 2 settings window and uncheck this setting (at bottom of picture).

Update the profile with the save icon

then restart the Skimmer.

The decoding windows are scalable, just size them to suit and show as many lines as you like.

If I have mis-understood your point, please email me directly. Yuri does monitor this thread but he has time constraints.

• UT4LW
    UT4LW Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi!

Sergey, KN7K: I opened Contest module, need more time to learn but it looks impressive. Did not figure out Macros yet. When I closed Contest mode these 2 windows for both receivers still ON and I do not see how to close them and probably I need to know how to disable them in the future.

The "IQ Band Plan" window only appears on the screen when the skimmer is running, and as Erik wrote, if it is checked in the settings. These are very useful windows, I do not recommend hiding them.

SKM Server remembers the number of times it has been started, and will be stopped when the corresponding number of times it has been stopped. For example: If SKM-Server was already running before starting SDC-Contest, then stopping SDC-Contest will not stop SKM-Server.

The minimum decoding window size will be reduced in the next version of the SDC program.

---------

Edit: Correction, I was able to add profile after I created a new folder "Profile" as it was not there.

There is some reason why the operating system did not allow this file to be created.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

"The minimum decoding window size will be reduced in the next version of the SDC program" - Thanks a lot!

I was trying to find a best spot to save a screen space and it seems like lower SSDR window is a perfect spot for that. And minimum vertical size right now is about 1.5 line, I cannot make it 1 line.

And YES, Yuri you well deserved above recognition! Really impressed with SDC!

Eric, also thanks a lot of following up this thread and your time and help.

Yuri, as we talked few month ago, I think SDC has a full potential to be Ham daily log and not just Contest module. I do remember that you mentioned you may do it :) Patiently waiting.

73!

Sergey, KN7K

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Flex-6400+SDC-Contest in WAE-CW

Including QTC intake procedure with incorporated display of hotkey window with QTC hotkeys

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I may need a little help. Not sure from what version, but i cannot see horizontal lines with printed text anymore per each signal, only can see in the bottom one station printed text - and this is where is my VFO right now.

Any idea? Thanks

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Hello Sergey

Check the Skimmer 1 and 2 Setup windows and look for "Creeping Lines" which should be set to on.

Erik

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It was disabled, I did Enable Creeping lines and Enabled next line, but it still printing only call signs. Do I miss something else?

Thanks,

Sergey

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

This is the setting you should have, one of the 'on' settings, either All or Verified Calls:

and that gives you the text of the Skimmer received stations:

But if not then I do not know, sorry, so maybe you could ask Yuri in a direct email.

Erik.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ah, got it, Creeping lines should be "All stations", I had it "Off" somehow. I remember it was working few month ago and I suspect recent SW update put it to the default "Off". It works now. Thanks for a quick help.

Maybe it is a good idea to put this to SDC pdf, it may help others to avoid these troubleshooting steps.

One more question, where is Spotter name coming from, if you know? I see mine is "LW-#" and yours is "SDC=#" ? I assume these just text boxes, but not sure the meaning.

Thanks again, Eric.

Sergey

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

I think it is in the PDF but I will check it tomorrow and ensure it is clearly stated.

The spotter name is at your discretion. LW is from Yuri's call UT4LW so I changed it to SDC. It indicates that the source of the Spot is your own local Skimmer. So, as one example - my Telnet Server Spotter (DX Cluster) Spots + my Skimmer Spots all go to my Logbook DXCluster windows, color coded by that software to Worked, Confirmed, Needed. Skimmer spots, in the From field, are shown as SDC which means I immediately know that they are local and I am actually hearing them which is very helpful in the event they are in the Needed category.

Erik.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Eric for your help!

Yuri, one small feature request, is it possible to make a "mini" size window, or like at WSJT "Menu" button that hide all menus to save space and have it less clustered. All Menu buttons needed for configuration but not on daily use.

Sergey, KN7K

Something like that

• Martin_G4ENZ
    Martin_G4ENZ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Lots of fun with the 6600 in CWOps Open - look SO4B 😉

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Prepare for CQ WW RTTY Contest 23-24 September. SDC / SDC Contest has received numerous additional features recently. Yuri UT4LW continues to enhance the contest experience.

My documentation is updated: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbiweiglsbj44f3/SDC%20SKIMMER%20WITH%20FLEX%20RADIO.pdf?dl=0

There is also a Spanish language translation thanks to Miguel EA4BAS: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/111s5kjoofcs44fjfuigm/SDC-SKIMMER-SDC-CONTEST_spa.pdf?rlkey=zbjx7klmghuozvjm0zqqckuid&dl=0

See Yuri's SDC website for news and downloads:

Yuri advises that CQ WW RTTY contest profile will be posted here later: https://www.lw-sdc.com/?page_id=454

Erik

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

SDC just great in CQ WW RTTY. Thanks Yuri! It leaves N1MM, MMTTY, 5MContest far behind in functionality and enjoyment.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I thought to try SDC for RTTY contest, but could not find CQ WW RTTY in the list.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.