Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDC Skimmer for Flex Radios

Options

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Thanks Erik!

A few small changes that I missed. Very helpful!

Mike

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

You should see something akin to below with a 599 marker (station just worked) and some X markers (or whatever you defined) for QSOs before then which shows 3Y0J's operating pattern (starts high and works down but rather randomly in this example on 17m today). There are brackets at the start and end of the SDC pile-up width (15kHz apart in my case). The markers do have a short persistence so might disappear if you are not hearing the stations being worked.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I got it, but still working on it to understand a few things. I appreciate all your help.

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi Erik,

I followed your and Mike's setup conversation. For working a DXpedition, I also have the same VFO-A on DX and VFO-B my transmit. But when I click on the skimmer graph, VFO-A moves. Any way to make clicking on the skimmer graph move VFO-B instead. I tried swapping Slice 1 and Slice 2 in the setup, but then the skimmer graph does not track changes in the IQ center frequency.

Thanks, Bob, N7ZO

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Hello Bob, VFO-A should not move. You see 599 on the Flex panorama, pick your TX frequency (on or near the 599, maybe a clear area) and double-click with the mouse on the pan. VFO-B will move.

An active VFO B is designated by a yellow line with a triangle at the top. Double tapping anywhere in the Panadapter grid will initiate a Tap Tune. Tap Tune will move the Active Slice to the frequency where the tap occurred.

The Skimmer graph, if I understand your question, is not relevant since you are looking at the 599 marker on the pan and have no need to be looking anywhere except at SmartSDR.

Please see if this helps, otherwise let me know.

Erik.

• Ray G3XLG
    Ray G3XLG Member ✭✭
    Options

Yuri has now released a new version SDC 17.1 on his website.

SDC now includes a Contest Tab which integrates his new Contest program with SmartSDR.

Ray G3XLG

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

SDC contains its own help file. My user manual has also been expanded and updated and may provide some extra help if required for both SDC Skimmer and SDC Contest.

Within the document are links to Yuri's videos which can also be seen on his You Tube Channel at

UT4LW Yuri Pavlov - YouTube and these include a useful setup guide to the WPX RTTY Contest on 11-12 February.

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    Options

Erik-I'm using v.17.01x64 and even though the USE CONTEST box is checked in setup, the tab does not appear at the top. All the other tabs appear/disappear along the the checkmarks. Any thoughts? 73, Rick N0VT

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Hello Rick - if you are a registered user of SDC, as I presume you are, please contact Yuri for an updated registration code. That will unlock SDC Contest. He will reply quickly.

Erik

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    Options

He contacted me first! All is good now.

73, Rick N0VT

• UT4LW
    UT4LW Member ✭✭
    Options

Rick, I saw your message and sent you to an e-mail key for the SDC-Contest module.

I want a radio amateur society to understand me correctly.

For obvious reasons, I cannot allow free access to the new SDC-Contest system.

Anyone who wants to use SDC-Contest sends me an email to get a new key.

A lot of effort and money has been spent on the development of the program, so voluntary donations are welcome! 😉

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Eric,

I understand how to use the VFO's on the Flexradio SSDR app, but I have been using CWSkimmer for many years and have gotten used to doing my clicking on the skimmer app. Just a different way of doing things.

So far, I have been getting the SDC skimmer spots on the SSDR panadapter, but have yet to see a "599" spot. Don't know yet what I am doing wrong.

73, Bob, N7ZO

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

I also downloaded and installed 17.1, though it asked to uninstall previous, it seems to have kept all my settings including the key. I do not see the contest tab and the SmartSDR API & SKM Server do not connect. Perhaps the new is needed? I've sent an email to Yuri.

I have already donated, this is a fine program for our FlexRadios, so yes please donate to the cause. Go to http://www.lw-sdc.com/ and click the DONATE button on the top right.

UPDATE: got the new key, that was again, quick. I can see the Contest tab now but SmartSDR API won't connect, I've rebooted 6700, restarted SmartCAT DAX, clearing SKM from task manager. I have this installed on a laptop where the 6700 is on a desktop on the LAN. This worked fine with previous version.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

Yes Bob I understand and I did think my reply was a bit like "teaching grandma to **** eggs" but for clarity to others reading.....

Anyway, 599 should be working. The radio is in Split. On the SDC Skimmer tab the 599 button should be flashing. If not then click it. The number underneath is the pile-up width for the 599 to Pan feature. Also check that the function is set to on:

• iz7auh
    iz7auh Member ✭✭
    Options

Dear, I am very surprise a power of SDC for our Flex, very great job! I make all configuration, but not see 599 symbol con my panadapter, a Functions 599 is ON, 599 led blink but no see on panadaper where is my mistake?

best regards

IZ7AUH

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Please confirm that you have this tab configured like this.

Next, under the 599, increase the width of the pileup up to match what you see.

Look for a [ and a ] on the waterfall.

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    Options

Eric, Mike, and all,

I found my 599 problem. It was correctly being sent to the panadapter spots but was configured to small characters that I did not notice. In the boxes in the lower right corner of Mike's screen clip above, mine was set to 8704 and 8711. When I changed them both to zero, now "599" clearly shows up on the panadapter. Also, my "Marker New RST" color is set to red and the "Marker Old RST" color is set to blue, which seems to work well.

73, Bob, N7ZO

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    Options

Eric, Mike, and all.

I found my 599 problem. It was being sent to the panadapter spots but was configured to small characters that I did not notice. In the boxes in the lower right corner of Mike's screen clip above, mine was set to 8704 and 8711. When I changed them both to zero, now "599" clearly shows up on the panadapter. Also, my "Marker New RST" color is set to red and the "Marker Old RST" color is set to blue, which seems to work well.

73, Bob, N7ZO

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

This is what I am hearing ... as Lou N2TU said, this isn't always easy.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

The lunatic fringe have not had much of an outlet these past few years. Low sunspots and Covid lessened their opportunities to QRM. Plus FT8 reduced CW activity in those operations that did take place. Now a major DXpedition is on, currently putting CW ahead of FT8 and they are like baying hounds unleashed with the sole aim of spoiling it for as many as possible. It is hard even with a Flex to mitigate against them. On the plus side, SDC Skimmer / 599 to Pan shortened my calling time to get the 3Y in the log on CW even with 200+ callers that I could hear plus many more I could not. I guess it's a combination of the right tools, Flex + SDC, a lift in propagation and some luck that helps with success. Nice video, Mike, thanks for sharing.

Erik

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just found time to repost. Yuri was quick to find a fix for the problem I was having with the new v17.1 yesterday and made a few builds that I tested and confirmed that v17.0101 is working. Now to figure out how to use the Contest tab.

Keep up the great work Yuri.

• iz7auh
    iz7auh Member ✭✭
    Options

I make same your configuration...

Not see 599

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭
    Options

"Several users are having trouble connecting the SDC-SmartSDR-API client to the Flex-6x00. The reason seems to be in special configuration cases.

Test version 17.0101 has been published, which changes the connection procedure to Flex-6x00. Anyone who has encountered this problem, please let me know the result after installing 17.0101."

Yuri, the connection issue I was having that prevented direct connections without using DAX is fixed with this release. It now works. What is the "special configuration case" so that I know in the future?

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Yuri,

I just upgraded to 17.0103x64 from 16.05x64. I am running Windows 10 Pro.

I use the "SmartSDR API" connection. Both versions work for me. I am not using the Contest module.

73, Bob, N7ZO

• UT4LW
    UT4LW Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks to everyone who helped find the problem in the program. It ended up in the new SmartSDR-API-WinKey module, and in version 17.0103 the problem was finally solved.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Frank IZ7AUH: 599 should be working. The radio is in Split? On the SDC Skimmer tab the 599 button should be flashing. If not then click it. The number underneath is the pile-up width for the 599 to Pan feature. Be sure it covers the pile-up or a good part of it.

I am hesitant to give more advice. I did so re Flex 5000a and was corrected so I defer to Yuri's SDC manual. Please double check you have followed its instructions. There is also my additional manual but that probably will not help. In the event of further issues with 599, you could write an email to Yuri.

Erik.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options

Yuri has produced several more updates to SDC.

Using SDC Contest in last weekend's ARRL CW Test was a truly amazing and thoroughly enjoyable experience. The efficiency with which it worked was, for me anyway, something that I never experienced with N1MM.

For anyone who doesn't yet know, SDC has a superb Skimmer and an excellent Contest module for CW, DIGI modes and SSB.

To read more about it, see his website at SDC — Software Defined Connectors (lw-sdc.com) and download an additional expanded user manual at https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbiweiglsbj44f3/SDC%20SKIMMER%20WITH%20FLEX%20RADIO.pdf?dl=0

which has been updated today.

During the contest, SDC users were providing him with performance reports which allowed for quick version updates for both Windows and MacOS users. He worked tirelessly throughout the weekend to solve all reported issues.

Of course there is the phenomenal 599 to Panorama feature which just a few minutes ago, as an example of its power, enabled me to work FT8WW on 17m CW on one call.

My QSO was at the latest 599 marker which was very handy because he does use a bit of a scatter gun approach to working the pile which causes the uninitiated a lengthy wait to get through.

Yuri, UT4LW, is making an ongoing tremendous effort for us Flex users with SDC Skimmer and Contest fully integrated into the Flex system unlike any other software. I know many, like me, are extremely grateful and we mustn't forget the difficulties with which this work is being undertaken. From scratch he has learnt and mastered the Flex API without even having the luxury of owning a Flex radio.

In his most recent email to me he wrote: "There is still a lot of work ahead." So, fabulous though SDC already is, we can look forward to even more development. Thank you, Yuri.

Erik

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

SDC / SDC Contest is now at version 17.03 with refinements for the Contest module, Skimmer and Spot control, completion of Macro Server with full integration with Flex, etc.

1.News — SDC (lw-sdc.com)

Yuri updates his manual with SDC on each release.

The expanded manual has been updated.

SDC SKIMMER WITH FLEX RADIO.pdf (dropbox.com)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.