Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDC Skimmer for Flex Radios

Comments

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭

It can run on any Slice or Slice(s) that are available. Per the instructions, configure DAX1, DAX 2, etc and then set up Skimmer 1, Skimmer 2 etc with matching configuration in SDR-Bridge. As soon as your selected Slice or Slices start so will the associated Skimmer(s).

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

It can be on any slice. Just have to make sure the IQ stream setting in the slice and in SDRBridge match up.

Bob, WK2Y

• Patrick W9PDS
    Patrick W9PDS Member ✭✭

Hi Erik,

I just discovered this thread and would very much like to try SDC Skimmer out. The PDF you created says it is now deleted from dropbox. Can you kindly re-upload it for us?

Thanks a lot. W9PDS

• Erik Carling EI4KF

Hello Patrick. Yes I will. It was deleted because the SDC author objected to SDC for Flex being used without any donation being made and ceased issuing reg codes that are necessary for the software to work with our radios.

However, things have changed. Reg codes will be issued after a donation is made. This can be of any amount, preferably $10 but he says "any amount" - though I would be sensible and not send him $1! SDC Skimmer has been updated for better results with Flex radios. Also, in response to requests, running text has now been added to the Skimmer similar to CW Skimmer.

I will amend the instruction document as soon as I have the time and upload it again. I will post here when it is ready.

Erik.

• Patrick W9PDS
    Patrick W9PDS Member ✭✭

Excellent Erik Thanks! I donated $10 USD to him this morning. I cant wait to try it out. 73.

• W2JV_
    W2JV_ Member ✭✭

Erik,

I just registered. In Setup Skimmer 1, under Control type, the dropdown only includes Audio +TCI and TCI only, it does not show Audio + telnet, thank you for your support.

Peter

W2JV

• These are the selections available. Check that you have moved down the list to see below the two you mention.

Erik.

• Erik Carling EI4KF

Please note, for obvious reasons, SDC is currently not available for download and will not be so until further notice. Registration requests are unlikely to be fulfilled either. Instructions for use with Flex radio remain available in case anyone needs them.

• Georg Isenbürger
    Georg Isenbürger Member
    edited April 2022
    has anyone tried to setup SDC with SmartSDR for MacOS?
  • UT4LW
    UT4LW Member ✭✭
    Hello Flex users!
    Now SDC is here: http://www.lw-sdc.com
    There you can download, extract and install the new version 15.25.

If you re-register, for those who use the Flex-6x00, the skimmers will work much faster.

A new registration is required so that the new program cannot be used in some countries. For those who have already registered, registration is free. They should email me at the address listed on the site with their call sign. I will send a new key.

If I can get a Flex-6x00 transceiver, I will try to develop a direct SmartSDR-API connection to SDC and adapt other modules of the SDC program.

In any case, you can support the development of SDC at http://www.lw-sdc.com

Temporarily For MacOS, the SDC program will not be published
  • Ron K2RAS
    Ron K2RAS Member ✭✭

Anton, I donated $20 to help you in the current environment even though I am waiting for the MacOS version of the program.

Ron

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2022

Hi Guys

I obviously missed a configuration issue.

I have configured the following:

• All the SDC configurations as outlined
    • All the settings in the SKM skimmer

It looks like it isn't receiving the IQ stream.

(I'm a bit brain dead today, so I must have missed something a bit less obvious).

Ideas?

• UT4LW
    UT4LW Member ✭✭
    The message "Wait LO" indicates that the transceiver did not receive data on the base frequency of the IQ stream from the transceiver to the SDC program.
    Also, I do not exclude that the SDR-Bridge program, when connecting to the Skimmer's TCP server, did not send this data to it. Unfortunately, I cannot verify this.
    I think that if such an inscription appears, you need to switch the range on the receiver, or move the panorama. This will cause the SDR-Bridge to transmit the base frequency and the skimmer will start working.
  • Erik Carling EI4KF

Hello Yuri, you are of course correct. Mike's observation occurs right after the first configuration per my instructions and the solution is as you say - switch bands or move the panorama. For usage after the first configuration, so as not to get a repeat of this, load SDC first (I have it load when the computer boots), launch SmartSDR and then SDR-Bridge. The SDC Skimmer(s) will start without the Wait LO issue.

Erik EI4KF

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2022

Funny... I just left it alone. This morning, all great! I guess I moved the panadapter.

• UT4LW
    UT4LW Member ✭✭
    On the site https://www.lw-sdc.com published installation files SDC 15.24 for MacOS and Linux.
  • Ron K2RAS
    Ron K2RAS Member ✭✭

Thanks!

Ron K2RAS

• Mike-VA3MW

I received this from Yuri:

There is a problem connecting SDC skimmer to SmartSDR. For the correct operation of the skimmer, 
    it is necessary to inform it of the central (base) frequency of the IQ flow. In Windows, 
    you can use the SDR-Bridge program for this. There is no such program for MacOS.
    I propose to add a message to the CAT protocol that will contain the central frequency. 

For example:
    Request - LO;
    The answer is LO0014025000;

This will greatly simplify the interaction of programs in both Windows and MacOS.
    In this case, I can present the TCP client in the SDC to request such data.

• W9EZ
    W9EZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Posted twice deleted
  • W9EZ
    W9EZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    First off Thank you Yuri for making SDC work with flex. I am very happy to see that happen. I know I didn't have to but you got an extra donation. :) I have been playing with this the past several days and I can get it to work just fine. Even without smartsdr running and decoding directly from my 6600M. But the pan stops after awhile and it quits decoding. I imagine that it is losing its stream. The only way I can get it to start again is to restart DAx and SDC. Is there a timeout function that I am missing. Sdrbridge still follows the radio and show upper and lower stream limits. But no pan and no decoding. Michael are you seeing anything like this? running 3.3.29. Todd W9EZ
  • Erik Carling EI4KF

There is not any timeout function. By closing SmartSDR there can be an issue which is why it is expressly stated as required in the instructions. But worry not because Yuri will streamline SDC for Flex working as soon as practical.

• Mike-VA3MW

@w9ez - not sure why. No one here deleted anything. We actually delete very little, maybe 1 or 2 items a year.

• W9EZ
    W9EZ Member ✭✭

Sry to confuse Michael. I deleted it due to my error of posting twice. All good..

• UT4LW
    UT4LW Member ✭✭

Good news for Flex-6x00 owners!

A new tab "SmartSDR API" has appeared in SDC for direct connection of SDC and SmartSDR! New types of skimmer control have been developed:

• DAX+SmartSDR API. IQ channel is transmitted via Audio DAH, skimmer control via StartSDR API.
    •  SmartSDR API. IQ channel and skimmer control — via SmartSDR TCP API.

Watch the video 

Site SDC

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited June 2022

Everyone who has a registration code from April 2022 onwards can update SDC. New users please contact Yuri for registration.

Please test the new version 16.01 and let us know here if there are any issues with the Skimmer working and/or DAX problem. If it does work, please also tell us so we can determine the status. Some debugging is being done and help would be appreciated.

In the event that SmartSDR API gives rise to a problem, change to 'DAX + SmartSDR API' in the Skimmer setup and the Skimmer will work.

The '599 to Panorama' feature that tracks and helps break CW pileups can be set set up in Skimmer Global and will turn on when VFO B is enabled (set it to do that in Global settings). Yuri will describe this in more detail later. Meanwhile the feedback on Skimmer operation is important. Thank you de Erik.

• UT4LW
    UT4LW Member ✭✭

I found that the Smart SDR API mode does not work correctly. I'm trying to solve a problem.

Now it is better to use the DAX+SmartSDR mode.

Video about working with the "599" function

• UT4LW
    UT4LW Member ✭✭

Available for download SDC 16.0201 for MacOS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.