Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SDC Skimmer for Flex Radios

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike, have you tried just running Yuri's contest program instead of N1MM. Is it missing something to meet your needs?

I have ran N1MM for years and am planning on using SDC connector exclusively.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

No, I have not yet tried it.

In fact, I had totally forgotten about it, but I love to try new stuff, so I will dig into it.

Thanks for reminding me.

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 18
    Options

You will be surprised.

Take advantage of the profiles. There are profiles for everything including the skimmer, telnet, macros and general contest windows layout. Since you are a flex guy, think Global profiles.

I am still learning. Yuri schooled me today and showed me I was doing it the hard way. Making a QSO in the BARTG contest this weekend typically requires hitting the enter key twice and then on to next contact.

Rich

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

My RTTY work flow when running N1MM for BARTG was:

• F6 grab callsign
    • F2 exchange
    • Space bar, serial number
    • Space bar, time
    • F3 TU
    • Enter

Yes, I could shorten it up, but I am a touch typist and I hold off on the Enter until I am sure I want it in the log.

But, I do want to dig into his Logging.

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited March 21
    Options

Like Rich said, SDC cuts your work flow down to <enter> <enter>. It automatically reads the decode and places each part of the received exchange into its respective field. No F-keys or spacebar needed. The first time I saw it do it's thing it was so cool I spontaneously laughed out loud. It isn't 100% foolproof every time--when running I've had to manually intervene when a caller answers in a macro format SDC isn't expecting. But it should definitely be on your "must try" list.

73 Rick N0VT

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Rick, appreciate you posting about the RTTY contest. What a blast.

This SDC software gives an unfair advantage to those using it.

I really dont have the best antenna setup for SO2R but last night decided to run my SteppIR vertical on 40 and my inverted L on 20 using the internal tuner.

I worked the contest last night and never touched the VFO once. The radio flawlessly toggled between bands pretty much silently ramping the volume up and down on the active slice/band, switched the auto tuner in and out when needed and auto-filled the exchange. I just picked the contacts off in the two different spot lists until they were all gone and nothing left to work.

My suggestion to anyone that tries this software is to try to unlearn what you may have done in the past and do it the way Yuri designed the software to operate. Otherwise you are not going to realize the beauty in it.

I like most people went in wishing he did things differently only to find out I was wrong.

The documentation is lacking so feel free to ask questions!

2 thumbs up to Yuri for his work on this.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 22
    Options

The documentation is lacking

If you would explain that with details, I will update the supplementary user manual because that is what it is for.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbiweiglsbj44f3/SDC%20SKIMMER%20WITH%20FLEX%20RADIO.pdf?dl=0

Alternatively please advise Yuri accordingly.

Erik.

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Erik,

I had forgot about the supplementary manual. Will review that.

I was referring to the information available when you click manual from the program. Much of it is dated and not really accurate. I think Yuri told me the only think current is contest section.

For those that use the program just in the last week Yuri has added some features and some bug fixes which can be found at bottom of his download page under test version.

Thanks for reply Erik and your efforts on the supplementary manual. I knew you had done this but forgot. I will read that this morning!

Rich

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Ok Rich, yes the program manual is great and the first port of call but you are correct. Also a good part of it is not Flex related. Hence the effort that went into the supplement. However any work to it that you identify as being needed, please email me with the details. I know already that some of the pictures need updating as I have had several incoming questions and comments about pictures recently (Yuri frequently changes things, bless him!) Thank you.

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ok sounds good. Well in last couple days we now have ability to add SSID to clusters and the map finally has options where we can turn on pins were we have been spotted.

Amazing program for sure. Almost feel guilty using it :)

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Erik

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Further to above, video by ED8M of new Two Keyboard mode in latest SDC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.