Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Profile Auto Save Discussion

Answers

• Don Cunningham
    Don Cunningham Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'm still thinking an on/off option is the simplest, then both can do as they like.  Of course, I'm not a programmer and this may be less simple than it seems.  Thanks for the consideration though, Eric.

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Please keep it simple guys! On/Off or it will never happen in near time.

Why complicate matters? Just for the sake of complicating things, or what?
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Chris, I understand what you are saying and yes it will work but it seems like alot of effort to make it happen in software tweaks. 

I just find it easier and more convenient to come back after dinner turn on the rig, and without doing anything, have my TX profile loaded and driving the now cold amp to 1500 watts.  When the amp heats up again I simply back the power down.  My profile is not overwriten.  This is how it currently works in version 2.49.

I guess we will see what Flex chooses to do.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Joe I hear you.  My needs of course are a bit more demanding.  As an SO2R operator I am cqing on 2 bands at the same time.  If my amp gets warm and the power drops, If I make an adjustment, the next time I switch back and fourth.. my settings are lost with the old profile method.  Now at least I can remain persistent and not have to re-tweak constantly.  Its a PITA.  so having the perisistence per profile load session makes the most sense.  Lets leave the programming difficulty to the development team. 
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Some want to have the profle to autosave other want it to stay as it was from the beginning. Why not have a "file lock"-feature, if this is set, that specific profile cannot be overwritten, you may save as a new. If the profile is unlocked it do changes as per V3.
  • Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Adding my vote for a simple on/off setting for the autosave feature as I would not like to use it, as it would change my 'golden profiles' settings , so I would need to double the amount of profiles I have the golden ones and the scratch ones, it's already complicated with mic profiles, global profiles, transmit profiles, already too complex to start with
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Make it optional with a selection button in the profile selection window. Orr have a pop up window that asks if you would like to save new settings.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2019
    Soon!  If I had an exact date/time, I would tell you.  ;)
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited May 2019
    FYI -- this issue was addressed today and will be going into the next Alpha release for testing.  Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I vote strongly for a setting on the radio setup tabs where a user can turn autosave on or off.
    This would make SmartSDR happy for both camps of users.

Neal
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Eric,

Yes, a prompt after every change would be gruesome.  But a single prompt when closing the client or selecting a new profile would be more in line with the way many other programs work.  

In any event, I fully support being able to defeat the AutoSave feature.  In my opinion, it totally destroys the usefulness of profiles.  I see a profile as a known operating environment that is a benchmark that I can return to whenever desired.  If at anytime you need to temporarily change something, you have just destroyed your benchmark.

The simplest approach is probably just an "On/Off" option.  (Of course, as a programmer, I realize that absolutely nothing is simple.)

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    "Yes, a prompt after every change would be gruesome.  But a single prompt when closing the client or selecting a new profile would be more in line with the way many other programs work.  "

Yes, that is what I think.

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

Here is a link to my post on the Auto Save issue a few months before v3.0 was public.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/question-about-tx-mic-profile-changes-in-v3

I'm sure there are a many ways to handle the auto save protocol I laid out a few ideas in my original post from a few months ago. In my opinion the simplest way would be to  just to add an on/off switch to SSDR and by default it is off until the user turns it on.

The more complex and elegant way is to have a temp file being written to in the background logging all the changes the user makes during their session, Then either the user can click a simple save button to instantly save changes or when the user exits SSDR it will prompt something like "Do you Want To Save Session Changes?" YES or NO.
    If the user clicks YES the data from the temp file is saved to the users current profile.
    If the user click's NO the temp file is wiped and no changes are saved.

Thank you Eric for engaging in this topic with us, I always feel the best communication is direct communication.
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Autosave sounds like a very smart change.  Can't wait to start using it. 
  • Michael Wheatley
    Michael Wheatley Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Eric,  

Thank you for listening and replying to all of the arguments for an Autosave On/Off switch.  I was really hoping that part of the reason of the delay of SSDR V2.5 availability was that work was underway to provide this switch.  But alas V2.51 is now available without the switch.

I would really like to upgrade to the latest release, and to V3 when DDUtil supports it, but I cannot without the Autosave switch.  

What is your recommendation?  Is there any chance we will get the Autosave switch in either V2 or V3 in the next 2 or 3 months?

Michael -- KM6LHD
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I have $199 burning a hole in my pocket and as soon as the Auto-Save feature gets the On/Off switch I will buy V3.0!
  • Robby
    Robby Member
    edited June 2019
    I have avoided adding to this list of ideas as I have only had my FLEX for a month so I have a lot to learn and little to contribute. I thought this profile set up was something I should look at so I created a transmit profile and called it 27W. I was naïve enough to think that when I used my amp I could select that profile and my power level would be 27W and it was for a while but eventually that reliance cost me! 

There is quite a learning curve to getting on the air with a FLEX radio. I don't mean it's steep but it sure is long. Most of my radio time is spent reading. I will not rely on profiles again until I understand them better. 

I think having the ability to disable autosave would be a very good thing.

Robby
    HP3SS 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Robby, when you saved your profles, any time you sellect that profile you saved, all your settings will come up just as you set them.

In case of anything going wrong you can set the max transmit power to say, 30w. That way if anything happens it will never transmit over that power level.
  • Robby
    Robby Member
    edited June 2019
    Wrong.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Robby, I think that was a terminology mistake, I think what Bill meant is that you can re-import a saved set of profiles to get yourself back to where you need to be, as suggested by Eric W.   So when you have all your settings they way you want them, save that off to a file, and if you need to revert after making adjustments duing your session, simply re-import.  takes about 5 seconds.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Chris, Robby said he created a profile called 27w. then when he sellected it, his settings were not there as he thought.

Robby, under the TX tab under radio settings, you can set your max power out to 27w. This will protect you from a mystake.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The best short term solution is to get the settings where you need them, export them, and then re-import if things get out of wack.  I have been doing this for years testing alpha versions of software that can have a wide range of effects.  If I need to, I to a clean reset and re-import.  Its not that difficult, works well and gets you where you need to be, quick.  Yes.  its an extra step.  but it works.  and its easy.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    and yes, setting a hard power cap in the radio settings is always a best practice.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited April 2020
    Michael,

We appreciated the feedback and have already begun the design phase of how we will handle things.  Unfortunately, we were not in a position to complete this work in a timeframe that would make sense for this release.

I've learned over the years not to give estimates on how long something will take that is early in the design phase.  There are too many variables and too many following steps for me to be any good at guessing that target.  I can assure you that it isn't as easy as just adding an on/off switch.  :)  Suffice it to say that we have heard loud and clear that this is a desirable feature (disabling Auto Save) and that we are exploring how that will work technically.  Once we have something for you, we'll let you know.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited June 2019
    I agree with others here -- the recommended way to protect from overdriving hardware like an amp is to use the Max Power setting and not to rely on profiles or the persistence of a setting to protect you.
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    That's a fantastic idea IF YOUR AMP requires the same input power level on all bands.
    I've never come across one of those amps to date.
    My LDMOS requires an input power range from 5 to 20 watts over the HF bands the FRS operates.
    Now, unless I've missed something, how do I set the MAX POWER setting to satisfy these conditions?

Resetting this value each time I change bands is an accident waiting to happen.

I'm really disappointed that Ver 2.51 included this error in programming. In reality its really designed for operators that don't/won't read the manual and cannot create a Profile. 

Tom W3FRG

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

In SmartSDR go to SETTINGS the click on the TX tab at the bottom you will see the Max Power box.

Set your max power to 2 Watts.

You can always increase power as needed.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Tom,
    Similar situation here.  Still on V2.4.9 and have two profiles that have worked great for me for years.  My setup is very basic and the mode is always CW.  
    • AMP ON - different power setting per band, it does also vary quite a bit. 
    • AMP OFF - set to preferred power for barefoot operation by band
    Occasionally I'll tweak the power but don't want it to affect my profiles.  I like knowing I can rely on the profile values.  I don't see how setting the max power would work for me.  I wouldn't want to set it to the lowest "AMP / Band" setting and have to adjust it up for all of the other bands --  that would also require me to remember the setting for each band.   

Not a big deal for me to wait till the AutoSave ON / OFF switch is added before upgrading.  Sounds like there will be a 2.x and 3.x release eventually with this feature.  The Flex team knows that it is something many folks want so I don't doubt we'll see it eventually.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    My worry is that since it didn't make 2.51 version 2X users are out of luck. We'll have to pay $200 to keep our profiles from auto saving. I guess I'm stuck at 2.49.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Eric KE5DTO,

I was thinking one of the benefits of the auto-save On/Off switch is it would be great for fast profile building.

The way I would use the Auto-Save feature is the following:

I would turn ON Auto-Save then go from band to band change all my setting to the way I like for each band and mode. Then just turn OFF the Auto-Save and ta-da... my radio is totally set the way I like and locked in.

Now if I want to fine tune my settings a bit I just turn Auto-Save On again and re-adjust my settings then turn Auto-Save OFF.

I could make all kinds of profiles for a multitude of applications like amp on, amp off, home qth, remote qth and so on.

This seems like a great way to build profiles very fast!

So in my opinion having the On/Off switch actually makes the Auto-Save feature even more powerful.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.