Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Starlink and Smartlink usage

w5ap
w5ap Member ✭✭

Is anyone using Starlink satellite ISP with Flex (Smartlink) to access their equipment remotely?

Any comments appreciated ie. can you do Smartlink without a fixed IP etc.

Or is it even possible as Starlink uses IPv6 ?

Tagged:

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Maybe

I describe it here: https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/4414672618267-Remote-Operation-Working-around-CGNAT-is-it-possible-

However, it seems that StarLink has a Business version that will give you an actual WAN address that 'should' work with SmartLink, but I don't know anyone who has it yet.

And, there is an upcharge for it.

• w5ap
    w5ap Member ✭✭

Tnx Mike

I also read some comments from Tim about using a special VPN.

However, it looks difficult to implement and Starlink has no real support other than questions/answers.

So I've decided to stick with my current ISP and hope they improve

• fhmassey
    fhmassey Member ✭✭

there is a port forwarding for starling available from remote.it. Would that work?

Fred

AE4ED

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

No, there is no Port Forwarding on StarLink due to the type of network configuration they use which is called CGNAT.

• Our local cafe in east San Diego mountains switched their internet to Starlink. Connected my iPhone to it and ran my flex 6400 just great.

• Mike-VA3MW

@Craig Williams

From a user end, there will be no issue. Now, if the radio you were attempting to use was hosted in the Cafe, it would not work.

• Dave W5UN
    Dave W5UN Member, Unconfirmed ✭✭

I encourage Flexradio to develop a means to operate remote (with acceptable latency, eg. less than 100 ms/second) over cgNAT. I know about vpn Azure, but that method proves unacceptable due to extreme 400 to 500 ms latency. There are methods described by HB9VQQ, and HB9CAT posted here on the community that supposedly result in acceptable latency, but these methods are too complex for a guy like me to implement.

Dave, w5UN

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

I use PepWave products for my LAN and WAN access. I have said before, that the hardware based PepVPN will do level two bridging, necessary for the Flex UDP packets to pass. This will give you direct access to your Flex, from a remote location.

Also, many have asked about using StarLink for FlexSmartLink, but...because StarLink uses carrier grade IP, the public IP address is not accessible. Some have asked for work arounds for this.

Having commented on these two option, using PepWave Routers, here is a link to a forum where on integrating StarLink and PepWave Routers is discussed, including several "use case" examples.

Alan. WA9WUD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.