Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink and Starlink

Options
With a marginal DSL connection, looking forward to Starlink constellation growing down to the 40th parallel. Been on waiting list, expecting invitation soon.

The gamers report that port forwarding is out, looks like VPN for SmartLink users. Anyone on Starlink yet or even thought about it?

Dave

Comments

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I heard that Starlink uses a double NAT which if the case would render SmarkLink useless to connect, unless Starlink provides static IP address for it's uses which I would doubt.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have a StarLink and can confirm the double NAT.

Speed and Latency are good. I have connected the StarLink directly to my router. I can confirm that StarLink is in the bridge mode with a NAT firewall upstream of my service.

Flex SmartLink does not work with StarLink.

Unless there are other ideas??

Alan

• KØKQ
    KØKQ Member ✭✭
    Options
    The Starlink subreddit thread has it's views, would indicate we may be waiting for IPv6.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/lk6f51/i_heard_that_starlink_has_cgnat_does_this_mean_we/
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I did some research on this.

Starlink does not present a Wan address like other ISP's so SmartLink will not function. They do not want servers on their networks in order to control bandwidth.

Also, SmartLink does not support IPV6 at all at this time.

Mike

• Chet
    Chet Member
    Options
    I understand that if you run a VPN between (such as Open VPN) the two locations thru the double NAT which is in bridge mode, that it will work. Have not talked with anyone that has actually accomplished this. I am willing to give it a try, if someone can guide me. Raspberry Pi's have been used to accomplish this supposedly?
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chet

I cannot comment on Open VPN.

I can say I was successful in using Pep-Link VPN in a layer two bridge mode, via Starlink, to reach my Flex Server.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.