Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TeensyMaestro

1234568»

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Broomfield, COMember, Super Elmer Moderator

TeensyMaestro V1.028 is now available on GitHub:

***************************** V 1.029 ***************************
     Fixed bug where cleared RIT and XIT retained their old value under certain conditions
     Added support for TSC2007 touch controller (STMPE-610 went unobtanium but is still supported)
     Removed long touch to turn off TX on a slice. Short touch will now toggle TX on/off.
     Expanded Splash touch screen area to include filter graphic area
     Added grayed out Slice letter for unused slice (provides touch target to create a slice)

The big news is that the TSC2007 touch controller from Adafruit is now available. The Bill Of Materials was updated to show that the STMPE610 is no longer available and that the TSC2007 replaces it. The same executable (.hex file) will operate with either touch controller.

@TimothyDilks - How is your build going? Last post your TM looked really good and just needed some of that tedious wiring for the encoders and switches. If you are stuck on anything, let me know and I can do a Skype session with you to help sort it out. If you have an actual life and just haven't had time to work on it, I am probably not that much help... 😁

@David Okay Patton - Yes, it was great seeing you! All that rain slowing your tower build would be welcome here...

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Nice work guys! Very impressed.

Dave wo2x

• KD0RC

A couple of people have recently asked me about the Teensy vs Arduino decision that I made when I created the TeensyMaestro. Here is a chart of relative performance across a bunch of boards from the PJRC.com site:

I started the project with the Arduino Due and ended up with the Teensy 4.1. The Teensy was way cheaper, way faster and has built in ethernet. I used it with the Arduino IDE (development platform) by adding the Teensyduino add-in. It lets you program the Teensy just as if it was an Arduino.

I initially chose the Arduino Due because that is what Enzo, IW7DMH used. He wrote an entire library around the Arduino for the Flex API. Adapting the library from the Arduino to the Teensy was trivial. Even though the Due is fast enough to run the Flex API, the Teensy is so much cheaper and does not burn precious I/O pins with an outboard ethernet adapter that it is a much better choice for this application.

That is it in a nutshell. No big feasibility study - just me saying "Huh... that looks like an interesting gizmo to try...". If you are interested in doing anything like this, you might want to look at the Teensy boards from PJRC.com. You can even use Node Red to code it. I don't know how mature the Teensy and Arduino support is for Node Red, but it is out there and available.

• KD0RC

TeensyMaestro V1.030 is now available on GitHub:

***************************** V 1.030 ***************************
     Removed radio query throttling that was added in 1.027. It didn't help, and kills remote CW.
     Added 5 us delay after reading paddles and straight key to let input values settle.
     Fixed bug where keying over ethernet without a radio connection, breakin on or TX slice in  
      CW mode caused a reset (Thanks Stefan, VA3AR for finding this!).

For anyone who is using the cw key command in the Flex API, you may want to be sure that Breakin is ON and that there is a CW slice open with TX ON. In my case, it caused my TeensyMaestro to crash and reset. I am not sure what was going on exactly, but it felt like commands were stacking up until something overflowed. In any event, I simply don't issue the cw key commands to key or unkey the radio unless the above conditions are met.

A big thanks to Stefan, VA3AR for finding this bug and bringing it to my attention!

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Len,

It’s really cool what you and others have done with the Teensy.

Having access to the API is great as it helps keep my grey cells challenged ;-)

Dave wo2x

• KD0RC

Thanks Dave, I appreciate that. It has been a really fun and rewarding project.

Yes the API allows for a whole new level of home brewing. It has certainly kept me entertained and challenged!

• KD0RC

TeensyMaestro V1.031 is now available on GitHub:

***************************** V 1.031 ***************************
     Fixed bug where the red TX indicator circle was always shown on Slice 0 when in MultiFlex

Tiny fix, but I hadn't released it in so long, I thought it was time.

There was interest a while back in creating a PC board for this project. If anyone is interested in creating one, I would be very supportive of the effort. If anyone wanted to be really ambitious and create (and distribute) a parts kit, I would be REALLY supportive! I don't think that a kit would be practical without the PC board.

Is anyone in the process of building one right now? I would love to see pics of any completed or in-progress TeensyMaestros.

• Leo de Blaauw
    Leo de Blaauw Member
    edited August 16
    Hi all,
    I Just stumbled across this project and would love to build it for my 6500. Seems though that a teensy 4.1, at least here in europe, is allmost impossible to order. Is there allready someone who ventured to get this project running on a different platform?
    Regards,
    Leo de Blaauw - PA1LDB
  • KD0RC

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your interest in the project! The Teensy 4.1 with the ethernet function has recently come back to being available in the US at the PJRC.com site. I believe that they are now starting to show up again in Europe, but I don’t know which vendors have them or what the lead times are.

The project could probably be ported to a different platform, but it would not be a trivial exercise. I rely heavily on the libraries that are optimized for the Teensy (especially the Ethernet routines), so all of that would need to be worked out.

• KD0RC

Phil, VK4KW let me know that PJRC are currently out of stock. They are projecting that the Teensy 4.1 with the Ethernet option will be back in stock by Aug 22.

If you are planning on building a TeensyMaestro, it is imperative that you get the Ethernet version. I have often been asked if a USB port could be used instead of the Ethernet connection.

The answer is no. The CAT commands, which can be accessed using USB, are very limited in what they can do and are there to provide compatibility with some third-party applications like loggers.

The Flex API, which the TeensyMaestro uses, is TCP/IP based (hence the Ethernet connectivity) and gives access to all functions of the radio. Literally all functions; this is the same interface that SmartSDR uses.

• KD0RC

The Teensy 4.1 with Ethernet just came available from PJRC.com. They are limiting 2 per customer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.