Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any update on Tuner Genius?

Comments

• Mr Radio
    Mr Radio Member ✭✭

My question relates to TG " Early Purchaser" cases- can these buyers select between 2X2 and 1X3 version of TG?

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

Let me help here... Previous Post stated that if you were on record with Flex as a "Early Purchaser" then Flex contacted you where you were asked to choose between a 1X4 or SO2R. If you have not been contacted then either you are not in the Early Purchaser List or Missing. Outside looking in, I suggest you contact Flex Sales to verify if you are or are not on the list. I too believe this was covered in earlier posts.

Richard - N4RWG

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

SRI... Contacted you abut wanting a "1X3" or SO2R... SRI Typo

• JP - KG5ZZB
    JP - KG5ZZB FlexRadio Employee ✭✭

This is a good time for an update on this post.

The TGXL will be available in late Q3/Q4 2021.

You can add yourself to the waiting list here https://www.flexradio.com/products/tuner-genius-xl/

The folks that are part of the free tuner deal have already been contacted, and we will start shipping them soon!.

• JP - KG5ZZB
    JP - KG5ZZB FlexRadio Employee ✭✭

No need to email Lori folks. Just add yourself to the waiting list, and we'll contact you.

https://www.flexradio.com/products/tuner-genius-xl/

• K5UFO
    K5UFO Member ✭✭

Just received an email from Flex requesting confirmation of my shipping address. They did not give a ship date, but The TGXL is coming! I ordered my PGXL during the last month of the free tuner offer. December 2017, I think. Regardless I am looking forward to getting it.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

As did I

It will be a welcome addition to the shack I am sure, I ordered my AMP in about September 2017 so the shipment must be a BIG one

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

I received an email from Lori on May 24, 2021 to confirm my address for my free TG-XL shipment, although no ship date was given. Hoping for delivery this month.

Butch, KF4HR

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

Preliminary TGXL user guide available on the download site.

Bill AB7AA

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

Just downloaded the "Preliminary" Tuner Genius XL User Guide (72 Pages). Quite a detailed package and easy to read. Those "Non" Flex Radio Owners are taken care of too. Looks like one powerful Antenna Tuner. Also downloaded the TGXL Utility Program and loaded it on the computer. Looking forward to receiving my unit as one of the "Early Birds". Now starting to see the Software and soon Firmware on the Flex Site gives me a feeling that "soon" something will ship out. Still no TGXL Firmware on the Flex Sight but I am sure that will be soon also.

Fingers Crossed....

Richard - N4RWG

• dan flynn
    dan flynn Member ✭✭

The Preliminary Tuner Genius XL User Guide is well on its way to being a finished product. Nice Job. I did have to look up what Lorem ipsum meant. :)

One question ...Is there a way to recall stored manual matched combinations?

Situation: the ability to quickly recall tuning solutions for out-of-band Short Wave, WWV or AM broadcast stations. 

Maybe this is already done automatically when you select the frequency on the radio? Just unclear in my mind.

All the best,

Dan - WW3N

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

The tuner is almost irrelevant on receive. Any signal losses due to mismatch are easily compensated by a little more gain at the receiver. I use an external tuner, but I just turn it off for receiving outside the ham bands.

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

Since the Subject of this link is "Any Update on Tuner Genius" I am asking all those PGXL "Early Birds" and not the Beta Testers, has anyone received their TGXL yet? Comments? I know that I have already been contact some time ago about my Shipping Address and any Special Instructions. Also Downloaded the TGXL Utility Program and that is loaded into the computer. The Preliminary Manual has been read "inside and out". Now the Utility Program is "lonely" and is looking for some TGXL Data to manipulate...... Let us know if you received the TGXL and what you think of it. TNX

Richard - N4RWG

• K5UFO
    K5UFO Member ✭✭

Just received a shipping confirmation from Flex. Tuner should be here on Wednesday! FWIW I received the address confirmation email on May 28th and I ordered my PGXL in December 2017, last month of the free tuner offer.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Just got mine installed here in the shack, I was out of town when it came in last Wednesday and got back last night.

WOW so far it is so impressive with the 6700, PGXL, TGXL and Antenna Genius.

The station changed a lot this morning as far as Antenna tuner, antenna switch and Interface COAX cables go so HOPE I don't have any RF issues or power handling problems crop up.

The Tuner Genius is a all out winner and is so far ahead of other High power Tuners it's in a class by itself now if it holds up to my operating practices I'll be a really happy camper.

Finding a Tune solution works very well with all my antenna's even the ones that the AT-Auto and HF-Auto have never been able to resolve on the WARC bands but I won't run those Antenna's as it is **** Coax cables and the Antenna switch and I have other Antenna's but wanted to test the tuners tune ability.

Now I need to update the NODE-RED to get it to interface with stuff if I can figure that out

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

K5UFO - I seem to remember back when we were waiting on our PG-XL's you received yours a week or so before I received mine. I ordered my PG-XL on 12-10-17 and I've received an address conformation email back in May, so hopefully I'll be hearing about my TG-XL shipment soon.

Butch KF4HR

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Bret

Didn’t forget about the Node Red flows. Been putting the shack back together and need to finish the networking tomorrow morning. I want to make one change to the power genius flow then will post them up.

Dave

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

No problem Dave, I updated the "VITA49" and "FLEXRADIO" Flows and broke the Meters for the 6700, If I remember right I had to modify the flow because the old version didn't auto select the 6700 for some reason but Still the Meters are Broken and not working so I have been trying to figure out what is going on.

Anyway thanks a lot for all your time

PS. UNDATE Got it working, I forgot I had to reboot the radio to get it talking.

Bret

WX7Y

• David Decoons, wo2x

If you like, give me a call tomorrow after 12 noon Eastern.

iI am going to update the FlexRadio flow to add actual radio forward out power and radio SWR.

Dave wo2x

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

Gents... My TGXL (1X3) is "Out For Delivery" this AM and should be here in the afternoon. You know the more you want something to arrive , the later it arrives.... Looking forward to setting it up and seeing what the "beast" can do. Thanks for all the inputs... Great DX!

Richard - N4RWG

• David Decoons, wo2x

I asked to have mine held at the local UPS hub 15 miles away. Was ready for pickup at 8:30 a.m.

”I want it and I want it NOW!”

Dave wo2x

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

To All!

I received my TGSL (1X3) around 5 PM Local last night. I was excited to get it set up but realized I had to do some climbing around the station and in my advanced age (70) I thought a good nights rest would be in order.... A couple of things. All documentation that I read indicated that I would receive a Network Cable. I did not and have reported to FRS but I had plenty around to supply my own. Also I thought the Power Cable was to be "6 Feet" but was only 3 Feet and to me kinda light for such a Beast of a Tuner. Like my HF - Auto I had to lengthen the Power Supply Cable to reach across my Desk. With that done and the Network Cable Plugged in the station was powered up. Like the videos I watched I had previous loaded the latest TGXL Utilities Program. I opened up the Utility Program then powered up the TGXL and as in the video the Utility showed my TGXL. I then "Connected" the TGXL and the Message came up I had to Update the Firmware. That was a quick job and successful. The next process was to set up the Utility to communicate with my 6700. I enabled the TGXL, Linked my Serial Number of my 6700, then Saved the Settings, A quick auto reboot and all was ready to go. TGXL follows the 6700 Freq and speed at which the unit tunes is amazing. Much quicker than that of the HF-Auto but you are dealing with Motors versus Relays and I suspect that is where the speed comes from. Tested the unit thru my 3 antennas (7 Band Quad, Off Centered Dipole, 80 Meter Vertical) and all works great.

Anyone planning on getting the TGXL, be it an Early Bird Deal or Purchasing either the SO2R or 1X3 you will NOT be disappointed

Have Fun... Enjoy!

Richard - N4RWG

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Richard, that sounds great! As far as the power cable size, the tuner only draws a max of 2 A. It may be a beast, but the heart of this kind of gear is a very low power computer chip driving a bunch of relays. I suspect the 2A spec is a large enough number to make sure that an adequate supply is used. I doubt it actually takes 2 A, especially when it is just idling waiting for freq changes.

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭

I had a shipment from Flex delivered yesterday. Tomorrow (July 1) is a holiday so will unbox at that time!

Tim VE6SH

• David Decoons, wo2x

Richard,

Glad my video helped you get up and running without any issues. The tuner is definitely the best auto tuner I have used. I’ve had the LDG AT1000 Pro, Palstar AT Auto and HF Auto.

Two days after receding the Tuner Genius I sold my HF Auto. While W1TR’s software allows the HF Auto to follow radio frequency, it is overly complicated and requires additional software to talk to a radio (CAT or CO-V). The Tuner Genius XL is a dream in comparison.

Dave wo2x

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

David,

I can not agree with you more. The setup and the operation is so simple. Got to love FRS and 4O3A for a Well thought out and designed piece of equipment. What's next????

Richard - N4RWG

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I Agree 100% in fact it tunes much easier the Bands that the HF-Auto and AT-Auto struggled with or couldn't find a tune solution and with Dave's new Node-Red FLOW it is even so much better.

I have now put up for sale my HF-Auto and to be honest I haven't used it in probably a year now that I got the AT-Auto repaired.

To me the Lack of a easy and safe solution for it to follow the radio and keep the AMP unkeyed while tuning was left out of the HF-Auto's design and I always had issues with the HF-Auto software to stay working and other software required to have it follow the radio was a pain.

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

Folks...

Now that I have been using the 1X3 TGXL for a few days I have found it to be one fine piece of equipment. Certainly as equal too and more than my previous Antenna Tuner (HF-Auto). The TGXL was so easy to set up and very quick to tune the antennas. I see some other comments that one saw a "Power" Warning and I had one of those Warnings but my "Drive" Level was set <10 Watts. I have moved all my Tune Power to 15 Watts and have not seen any Warnings since then...

One Area, what I believe, should be addressed in future Firmware Upgrades on the 1X3 "must be". Actually surprised that this was not addressed in the development stages. Operators should be able to Preprogram either Antenna Position for a specific band. I.E. Bands 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 30, 40 to Position 1, Off Center Fed Dipole to Position 2 and 80 Meter Vertical Position 3. I am sure others have different variation but a selection of Band Versus Position (1, 2, 3) would help. Very similar to what has been shown on the SO2R TGXL and Antenna Genius Examples. At the same time allow one to Manually Change the position.

My programming days are well be hind me but one would think this would be possible.

Richard - N4RWG

• David Decoons, wo2x

Hi Rich,

I have not seen the 1x3 model. In the band configuration screen you set up the best antenna per band, correct? In other words the antenna you would normally use?

From the TG XL app it shows the antenna number to the right of the frequency. Does that allow clicking on it to change antennas? If not, that would be a good feature.

I’d like to learn more about the 1x3 operation.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.