Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any update on Tuner Genius?

Comments

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭

How odd I don’t recall posting twice a day apart! Guess I’m getting old! Thanks for the update. Yes we do live in strange times. The vaccines can’t come fast enough!

Peter

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info and update Mack.

Butch

KF4HR

• Mack

In my Station. using a Flex6600M with a PGXL with an Palstar HF Auto Tuner I use a LP-100A Power Meter to inhibit the PTT key Line in my PGXL to Trigger the PTT at Customized SWR levels ( No more than SWR of 1.2 to 1.3 Max just as added protection for the PGXL

With the TGXL Tuner Genius will there be a User defined SWR Limit similar to my LP-100A way of doing things with my PGXL and Palstar HF Auto to make sure there is no way one can can activate the PGXL as a safety measure if SWR rises above a predefined limit for added protection, been very successful here to insure the SWR is always low and the response time of the LP-100A is very fast with also an Audible Alert to alert user if SWR rises above a predefined limit

Hope Tuner Genius is still on Target for 2021 Q1 !

Thanks

Mike WB6DJI

• Mack

In my Station. using a Flex6600M with a PGXL with an Palstar HF Auto Tuner I use a LP-100A Power Meter to inhibit the PTT key Line in my PGXL to Trigger the PTT at Customized SWR levels ( No more than SWR of 1.2 to 1.3 Max just as added protection for the PGXL

With the TGXL Tuner Genius will there be a User defined SWR Limit similar to my LP-100A way of doing things with my PGXL and Palstar HF Auto to make sure there is no way one can can activate the PGXL as a safety measure if SWR rises above a predefined limit for added protection, been very successful here to insure the SWR is always low and the response time of the LP-100A is very fast with also an Audible Alert to alert user if SWR rises above a predefined limit

Hope Tuner Genius is still on Target for 2021 Q1 !

Thanks

Mike WB6DJI

• Mack W4AX
    Mack W4AX Company Adviser ✭✭✭

@mikeatthebeach . I just finished a video call on the TGXL. It is still on track to begin shipping this quarter.

The TGXL has a setting for the desired tuning SWR when conducting a tune operation. It will not inhibit transmission if the SWR is above a defined level. Those protections are built into the PGXL and FlexRadio. The TGXL also has protections to prevent damage from high RF voltages or currents. These protections have been thoroughly tested. However, if you want belt and suspenders, then keep the key line on the LP100A to interrupt keying of the FlexRadio.

Mack

W4AX

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Hi Mack, If I read your Email correctly it brings up some red flags.

Couple Question,

1- what if your not running a FLEX 6000 series Radio and/or a PGXL that have the built in protection or the PGXL protection fail, what protection does the TGXL have for "belt and suspenders" radios and Amplifiers? doesn't sound like there is any protection for the legacy Amps or Radios.

2- what if your running a FLEX 6700 and a AL82 old type AMP along with the TGXL what is protecting the AL82 if the Antenna system suddenly fails?

If this is how it is Then it is very sad to hear for such a long wait for the Tuner not to have the protections asked for available for legacy Amplifiers or radios Including the FLEX5K and 3K.

Kind of limit's the buyers base if you ask me by not having the PTT line control disconnect available for the Legacy AMP's or ANY AMP that doesn't have a self resetting SWR limit switch when the Tuner starts to retune. I see all kinds of older AMP's burning up Band Switch's and Tubes that could be eliminated if there was a AMP Key line disconnect built in.

could be solved with a couple dollar worth of parts and a few lines of Code

• Mack W4AX

Let me correct a previous statement after speaking with the software/firmware developers. Yes, the TGXL WILL interrupt the PTT line if it goes into protection mode. Therefore legacy amplifiers will be protected.

Mack

W4AX

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for clearing that up Mack, that really bothered me to hear it wouldn't have this GREAT and in many users case eyes not just a feature but a necessity.

This is what makes the HF-Auto I run here as my backup station Tuner and the AT-AUTO as the primary Station Tuner.

Thanks again

Bret

WX7Y

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭

OK, so that is good news on the PTT line.

How does the PGXL and the TG communicate, is it over LAN???

I ask because I am using two ICOM radios right now with the PGXL. The RF detection is how the PGXL knows what

band I am on. So, if the PGXL detects I'm on say 20 meters with a quick DIT, does that information immediately get sent over to the

PGXL via LAN? I don't see any other way for that communication to happen.

Perhaps the PGXL operating software does the communicating?

Any update on the PGXL operating software's ability to decode CIV Icom data?

Peter

W2PP

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

Mack,

It has been a couple of weeks and no new updates or status changes. Is the TGXL still expected to ship the first units out by the end of March (1st Quarter 2021)?

Richard

N4RWG

• Mack W4AX

Yes still on schedule.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Mack is there estimated date as to when Flex will start accepting pre-orders for the TG-XL? Later in 2021 perhaps?

• Mack W4AX

Please watch my QSO Today ham fest presentation on March 13th. Details there.

Mack

• Mack W4AX

Mack

• Mack W4AX

Mack

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Will do. Thank you Mack.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

@Mack W4AX

That was a great presentation. I am seriously considering the TGXL. The 1x3 option is my choice. Will there be any pictures of the rear panel of it posted anywhere?

• Mack W4AX

Yes, pictures should be published soon. There are several users that have the 1 X 3 already. It looks identical to the SO2R and uses the same mounting holes for the RF connectors. It just has different labels.

Mack

W4AX

• NA5RF
    NA5RF Member ✭✭
    Sounds like a great tuner to go with my PGXL and 6600. I just signed up to the wait list. How much total inductive matching does the TGXL have? The HF Auto I use now with my 43 foot vertical has only 26 uh of total matching inductance capability (16uh roller variable + 10 fixed) and uses the differential T design. The old Skanti commercial maritime tuner that I used years ago used a Pi network like the new TGXL for the remote unit. It had about a 100uh of total matching. I was able to tune 160 meters without any outboard inductance on almost any size whip antenna. Looking forward to getting a TGXL!
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Mack - I am considering the purchase of an Antenna Genius 8x2 RF Switch. Is the TG-XL fully compatible with this device?

Butch, KF4HR

• KR5OG Paul K
    KR5OG Paul K Member ✭✭

Yes it is.

Paul

kr5og

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

That's good to hear Paul! How long have you've had your TG-XL?

Butch, KF4HR

• KR5OG Paul K
    KR5OG Paul K Member ✭✭

Butch, I do not have a tgxl but maybe some day.

My comment is based on research and following every scrap of information I can find on the topic. The TGXL looks like one of the most capable auto tuner available

It is on my list of must haves and may do it prior to the PGXL.

Paul

KR5OG

• Mack W4AX
    Answer ✓

@KF4HR Butch, yes, the 8 X 2 and 8 X 1 Antenna Genius products are integrated into the TGXL. I suggest you look at my presentation on the FlexRadio website to see a demonstration. I've been using the TGXL and AG 8 X 2 here for over 9 months. FlexRadio now is the exclusive seller of the Antenna Genius in the USA. Contact sales@flex-radio.com to order one and discuss lead times.

Mack

W4AX

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for the information Mack. I'll check it out.

Has the TG-XL shipping (to customers) began yet?

Butch

KF4HR

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

Mack and the Team,

Obviously the TGXL "Early Purchaser" Units are being processed. I have not got mine yet but waiting anxiously... Is there any documentation such as the "Getting Started" Manual or anything similar available at this time?

Richard - N4RWG

• Mack W4AX

The manual is 95% complete. The auth0 issue has pulled the manual author over to helping fix that issue. The manual will be ready by the time you receive your TGXL. It’s something like 80 pages now.

Mack

• Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭

To All,

So to let those know the TGXL "IS" or "WILL" be shipping, I received an Email to confirm my Shipping Address and any Special Handling Requirements. I was one of the initial purchasers of the PGXL so the TGXL will soon be on its way.

I am sure that the TGXL will be another example of Fine and Superior Design and Craftsmanship from the Flex Family.

Looking forward to setting it up in the shack. On a side note..... Anyone interested in a Palstar HF-Auto?

Richard - N4RWG

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭

My deposit is in. Just waiting...

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

Hmmm .. I am confused. When I go to the TGXL page there is no pre-order option. Just an email waiting/inquiry list that I previously visited and added myself last week. Perhaps the pre-order is by invitation only?

W7NGA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.