Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Profile Auto Save Discussion

Answers

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    BTW thank you again for working with us on this issue.
    I think it's just awesome that us users can speak directly to an engineer at FlexRadio!!
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I would like things put back the way they were without autosave.  Pretty simple and somehow I am pretty sure that Flex could do that in about ten minutes.
  • wa4wab
    wa4wab Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    You nail it right on the head Roger
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    too late :)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    There just is no bases for being conserned about that.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    If only it was that easy. As you must know every thing they touch is never isolated. It effects other subsystems, and to change it back would mean a lot of testing over again, perhaps weeks. As Eric mentioned adding an off and on button could not make it into this last update because he said that even doing that is complicated.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Flex made this change without any notice to the user community and with only the most cryptic explanation of it when actually implemented.  I think that it is quite clear that this was an ill-advised and poorly thought-out change, which essentially negates the value of Profiles.  If it takes "weeks" then let it take weeks.  This change needs to be unchanged.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    How about the fact that Flex has never released more than one final update after a new version is released. Seems like that is at least a tiny basis.
  • wa4wab
    wa4wab Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Sounds like FRS  may had  made this change in an attempt to reduce their ticket load without thinking it all the way through.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    As I understand things, the reason for the discussion was to find out what is bothering some people about it, and now Flex is discussing the designe to make changes to how it works. There seems to be no indication the feature is being scraped.

I have found in the limited way I use my radio, it has little if any - effect on my station. I like having a place to see all my settings in one panel. I made changes to each row as needed and left it. I also saved my profiles to a file so I can go back to that any time. But I look foreword to seeing the new changes when they are finished.

I also beleive Flex has the right to implement any new feature with out a hearing.
    It was a class act to ask for our opinions on how this feature could be improved.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Guys there are probably more helpful approaches than going on and on demanding this be reversed.  Not only is it NOT EASY, with many inter-dependencies, but power level persistence is a feature that is needed by a large segment of the community. Reversing it at this point would be difficult and a step backwards.  Adding the ability to enable and disable it would accommodate the largest group, and makes the most sense in the interest of the community. This had nothing to do with their ticket load.
  • Michael Wheatley
    Michael Wheatley Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The problem from my perspective is that I have no Idea where SmartSDR software development is going. For the first two releases of version 3 it doesn't have anything compelling for me. What will the next release bring....I have no idea. It might be wonderful new noise mitigation features that I will want immediately or a new automated **** scratcher so contesters don't have to set down their PTT.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The one thing we do know, Gerald said that work on noise mitigation has already been started, that was many weeks ago.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    That is good news.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I respectfully disagree.  Having power level change on the fly into Profiles is a terrible idea.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Roger, do we understand you correctly? you are not happy with the ability turn off auto save?
  • wa4wab
    wa4wab Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

My vote (if there is any) would be to have the on/off option, that way it solves both sides of the fence
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Yes Roger.. please help us understand. being able to turn it off would return the old functionality and retain the new if desired.  Help us to understand what you mean here, no one loses when you can have it both ways.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    this thread seems to have exceeded its usefulness. 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Eric KE5DTO,

There has been lots of negative comments about “Auto-Save” but I think there is a potential benefit to it especially if FRS adds the On/Off Switch.

I was thinking one of the benefits of the auto-save On/Off switch is it would be great for fast profile building.

The way I would use the Auto-Save feature is the following:

I would turn ON Auto-Save then go from band to band change all my setting to the way I like for each band and mode. Then just turn OFF the Auto-Save and ta-da... my radio is totally set the way I like and locked in.

Now if I want to fine tune my settings a bit I just turn Auto-Save On again and re-adjust my settings then turn Auto-Save OFF.

I could make all kinds of profiles for a multitude of applications like amp on, amp off, home qth, remote qth and so on.

This seems like a great way to build profiles very fast!

So in my opinion having the On/Off switch actually makes the Auto-Save feature even more powerful. And with the ON/Off Switch everyone is happy!

I think it's just awesome that us users can speak directly to an engineer at FlexRadio!!

(you are welcome to close this thread if you like)
  • Steve - G8KNC
    Steve - G8KNC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Simple.  Some people like "autosave", some do not.  Please, someone, explain to me why users cannot choose which is their preference?  I prefer the way it has always been.  Why should I have to change my way of working?  It's not rocket science for heaven's sake!
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    New features that alter existing functions should include a disable switch. I, for one,  am a creature of habit and I'll wager many other ham ops are as well
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I didn't think I would like the new autosave feature as I've been a Flex adopter since the original Flex 1000.  However, I like the autosave feature so I hope they give us both options and don't go back to the old way.  I would always make changes and forget to save the profile.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    4 weeks ago several people mentioned an on off button for the auto save. Eric said that an on off button would actually be very complicated to do in SSDR. But he added, thats not our problem, it's thier's. All we can do at this point is wait to see what they come up with.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2019
    Food for thought, the new auto save function is like traditional radios where you change a setting and it sticks. I see both sides of the fence on this issue. It will be interesting to see what evolves. Dave wo2x
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    With the ON/OFF option it actually makes the auto save feature even more powerful.
  • Steve - G8KNC
    Steve - G8KNC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    "But they would forget to go save the profile."  Doesn't that sum up the issue that started this farce? 

I'm sorry,  but if I used a stored profile and adjusted it for whatever reason, failing to update the stored profile would be an elementary and silly mistake on my part.

If I decided to try a few tweaks on my current configuration, but decided to not bother saving them, I would expect them to disappear when I next started my radio.

People have said words to the effect that "this is what happens with non-SDR radios.  You change the settings and that change stays put".  Is that not one of the great advantages of an SDR radio?  You can always, and easily, revert to your desired settings? 

Honestly!  If this terrible implementation has been put out there to help those who cannot remember to hit "save", I think it does a great dis-service to those who retain half a brain!
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019

Eric KE5DTO,

There has been lots of negative comments about “Auto-Save” but I think there is a potential benefit to it especially if FRS adds the On/Off Switch.

I was thinking one of the benefits of the auto-save On/Off switch is it would be great for fast profile building.

The way I would use the Auto-Save feature is the following:

I would turn ON Auto-Save then go from band to band change all my setting to the way I like for each band and mode. Then just turn OFF the Auto-Save and ta-da... my radio is totally set the way I like and locked in.

Now if I want to fine tune my settings a bit I just turn Auto-Save On again and re-adjust my settings then turn Auto-Save OFF.

I could make all kinds of profiles for a multitude of applications like amp on, amp off, home qth, remote qth and so on.

This seems like a great way to build profiles very fast!

So in my opinion having the On/Off switch actually makes the Auto-Save feature even more powerful. And with the ON/Off Switch everyone is happy!

(you are welcome to close this thread if you like)
  • Steve - G8KNC
    Steve - G8KNC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Absolutely!  Default should (I think) be off though.  A very useful facility, but also a potential catastrophe for any user not aware that FRS has made such a radical change in order (it would seem) to save a few forgetful users the embarrassment of forgetting to save changes they have made to their configuration.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.