Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Lockup on 1.10.16

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    If you do not mind doing a little troubleshooting since you seem to have the issue frequently, can you temporarily remove the USB cable from the radio and see if that makes a difference?
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    James, you are not alone.  My 6700 will lock up just like yours and I have to hard press the radio to shut off and then turn it back on.  I'm hoping 2.0 will solve this.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

Just slightly off topic and I did not want to start a new thread for this question but…

It is my understanding that SmartSDR will be announced at Hamvention 2017 but will it also be available for purchase during Hamvention or is just going to be the announcement?
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    It has been hinted, but they are not confirming anything at this point.  Best to monitor the board here on that Friday of Hamvention.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited February 2020
    Who is having lockups not using USB cables connected to their Flex
  • Greg - KØGDI
    Greg - KØGDI Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I just have the DV Dongle plugged into my USB.  Maybe I should try taking it out.
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    No usb cables here; have lockups and DAX corruption... 
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    but will it fix the DAX corruption and radio crashes?....
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Are OPs performing the two button count down reboot after a crash? Don't forget to have a copy of your profiles handy to restore.

My radio started crashing after a MS roll-up on Win7 Pro. Rolling back the OS update did not stop the crashing until I performed the two button reset. I am not using any USB devices.
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited May 2017
    I was having lock-ups with no USB cables but haven't had one for a few weeks now.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    No USB cables in use here either. I have my 6300 up for sale and if it goes I will then decide whether to buy the 6700 as planned or to pick up something else as main contesting radio, depending on what has been resolved by then.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    For the first time, today had a crash with the tone. The radio is running 1.10.16.91 PC is on Win7 Pro. No USB connections. The radio had been running for days. Needed a long press on the power  button to stop the radio. SSDR was still running. 
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited May 2017
    USB Cable is removed from Flex 6300, Fresh start at 7:10pm 5/4/2017

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Have not had a lock up in weeks, but had one just now. nothing on the 6300 USB ports. Tim see my other post for specific if you need them, or just ask.

Dave KB1WOD
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Bill W2PKY,
    What is a two button reset?
    Dave KB1WOD
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    from page 178 of the SSDR user guide:

For the FLEX-6700/FLEX-6500/FLEX-6700R, while pressing and holding the OK button on the front of the radio momentarily press and release the radio’s power button.  You will see a radio console message that says “Reverting to factory settings” and a countdown timer starting at 5.  Keep pressing the OK button until the display counts down to 0 and the Calibrating message is displayed and the LED changes color.  For the FLEX-6300, simply hold the Power button while powering on for 5 seconds until the LED changes color. 

Profiles must be imported after this reset so be sure to export your profiles to a known directory so you can find them afterwards.

• NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Just had a lockup with tone; was in rcv mode; Radio had been on 10 minutes.. Had not made a qso yet... was not running wsjt  no dax users. Had one cw skimmer running..

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    OK I am running a 6300. Thanks

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    check with FRS on how to reset 6300
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Without going back and reading through all of the posts, I was wondering how many folks have performed a factory reset on their 6000 and still have had lock-ups?

I exported my profiles, performed a factory reset on my 6700, imported my profiles and haven't run into any more issues.  It might just be a coincidence though.

Norm
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    After months of solid, no crash, performance on 1.10.16:

I did the April roll up Win7 Pro update and started having crashes on 1.10.16 ...
    Rolled back the April OS updates and continued to experience crashes. Only after performing the factory reset [ two button reset] on my 6700 did the crashing stop until a week later when the radio experienced a crash with the tone. This is the first time ever experiencing the crash with the tone.

So at first I thought the factory reset had resolved the crashing situation, but was disappointed to see the follow-on crash. 

I think it is advisable to perform the factory reset anytime the radio crashes.

Other than using a different Profile when it crashed with tone, nothing else was different on my 4790K PC.

• NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Crash on the 6700  while xmitting on wsjtx; rig had been on for about 40 min... 
    Will do a two button reset; this is very annoying..
  • Rudy HB9MHB
    Rudy HB9MHB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    My 6700 crashed on April 28. at 21:32 UT after running for about a week and the next crash was on May 5th at 23.02 UT. Since the Win 10 update to 1703 three weeks ago it seems much better but not ok.

V1.10.16 with Win10 home, I7-6700, running PCALE (no scanning) and WSJT, Memory 650MB

Rudy
  • W4TMW
    W4TMW Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Just today (5-7-17), I have experienced my first crash (6300) with tone.

NOTES:
    > Long button reset 
    > No P.S. reboot.
    > Unit  had been on for abt 3 hrs and made a few short cw qso's. 
    > No SSB mode used in several yrs.
    > I can't remember when I ever experienced a crash like this. 
    > ver.:1.10.16.91. 
    > Semi-dedicated (CAT5 LAN) Win 7 Pro 
    > Not normally connected to internet and was not when crash occurred.
    > DAX, CAT running normally
    > SKCCLogger program running
    > No XVTR setups

Tom, W4TMW

• Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020
    First Lock-up of Flex requiring long button press for about 4 weeks after previously having a bunch of lockups when I first upgraded to 1.10.16.

The only possible link is I was running  CW skimmer with one Dax IQ channel which I haven't been running for a bit, I would have been running the skimmer when I experienced the problem before.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited September 2019
    How many folks that have experienced this kind of long press lock up are running CW Skimmer (or DAX IQ)?
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I almost always have a daxiq channel on a cw skimmer; Typically 1 skimmer.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I have never run a skimmer or DAXIQ on my 6700. 

Eric: I am curious to know if SSDR can send any kind of command that might crash the radio? All my crashes revealed SSDR still viable but the radio required the long button reset. In fact to stop the frequent crashes after a Win7 Pro April roll-up I needed to do the two button count down reset to stop the frequent crashes. 

The one crash with tone was shortly after changing to a profile that had not been used for a long time.  

Radio has been running for days now with out issue.
  • Dewey WØYWW
    Dewey WØYWW Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I've had 2 lockups in May -- I only use Maestro, no PC. I've never ran skimmer or DAX-IQ.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    I don't know of any commands that would crash the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.