Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Lockup on 1.10.16

Comments

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Well, I had my first crash this morning.  It appears that the conditions were slightly different than what others have reported.  The Flex 6700 didn't crash, just SmartSDR.

As I reported yesterday, I have been playing around with the configuration of panadapters and slices throughout the day while watching the memory used by SmartSDR steadily increase.  Late yesterday, I took a snapshot of Task Manager with only 4 panadapters open and 4 slices.  Here's the snapshot.

Then sometime this morning while I was gone, the following.

Please note:  I am running SmartSDR v1.9.13.173.  I was able to restart SmartSDR without restarting the 6700.  The 6700 itself did not lock up or emit any noise.  Only SmartSDR failed.

I restarted SmartSDR, memory usage was initially at 124.8MB but continues to climb.  The last time I looked, it was around 1543.8MB.

It looks like a memory leak to me!

I've been running this version for quite a while now without any issues.  The only thing I can think of is that there have been a few Windows updates and it is possible something changed within the OS that is making it hard for SmartSDR to release memory. 

Seems to be an issue though!

• NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    two flex6700 crashes; One yesterday, one this am. Neither was a radio crash with the annoying tone; both required the long press of the power button to shutdown.
    In both cases the 6700 had been on for about 4 hours; It was decoding 4 wsjtx slices;
    win10, 1607; i7-6850; 32GB ram; machine was pretty idle.
    This is almost as annoying as the dax corruption....

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Today everything has been running just fine.  Memory usage is running around 600MB+- and seems to be behaving quite well.   I have no idea why things went crazy yesterday.  I even rebooted and restarted everything yesterday and still had memory usage issues until it finally crashed.  Today, all is well......  This makes troubleshooting very hard!

Norm
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    One other item I noted from both crashes, is that upon restart the number of slices open isnt what it was before the crash, nor on last power down; I run with all 8 panadapters, each with a slice.. On restart I had pans, 6 slices. They seemed a bit random as to which pan had which slice..
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    We REALLY hate that when it happens.  It makes finding root cause even more challenging.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Tim,

Same here.  I have not been able to duplicate a crash.  If you look back through my posts, I was able to take screen prints of the memory usage and sort of document what I thought was happening.  Now, all seems to be working fine again!

Now when I open 8 slices and make a bunch of band changes the memory usage continues to climb while I'm making the changes.  Once I stop making band changes, some of the memory does seem to get released and usage stabilises.  When I was experiencing the crashes, the memory usage would continue increasing even after I stopped making changes and would eventually crash.

I'm guessing there was some sort of update from MS that conflicted with SSDR for a short period of time and MS must have made another change and problem resolved?  Who knows?  

Like you said, this makes it really challenging finding the root cause!

Norm
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Flex staff,

What is considered the normal range of memory usage for SmartSDR connected to a 6700 running 8 slices?

Norm
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Just an update NO CRASHES since 3/29. BTW Windows 10 32 bit. There has been several Windows update since my last crash. Maybe a Windows issue?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    Once the waterfalls have had time to get to full storage, it is something like 110MB per Panadapter.  Something around 1GB of memory is typical with 8 Pans running all at once after about 15 min.

We have indeed found and fixed a memory leak associated with changing bands as previously reported here.  This fix will be included in the next release.  That will also contribute to the memory in v1.10.16.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited April 2017
    Great job Eric.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for the update Eric.  Hmmmm, now all I have to do is wait...........  Geez, that's hard to do.....
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Another 6700 lockup;  Had to reboot the radio with a button press; It appeared to only need a short press; Rig had only been on about 10 minutes.. All the pans and slices came back this time.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2017
    A normal button press that shuts down the radio indicates that the firmware was still running (the radio had not crashed).
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited April 2017
    Following on from my last crash (see above - no tone but required long button press in middle of 4m contest) i submitted another ticket. Closed down now as ack as software defect which is logged.

I have closed down the radio and pc for 24 hrs on tuesday this week whilst away on business. Its been on since wednesday evening and did 80m cw contest wednesday night and 80m rtty test on thursday night. This evening after leaving it on 6m ssb i came back into the shack to hear the tone and saw the disconnect box up on the screen. Had to long press the button to reboot the radio. I have now left it running on 6m wsjt-x monitoring fsk441 ms mode overnight to see how long it stays up this time.

I hope we are going to get a release to sort this issue soon - if thats not likely i think we need advice on which version to roll back to. Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    On April 8 I installed 1.10.16, the radio ran solid on Win7 Pro until today after applying Windows update KB4015552. The radio crashed after 2 1/2 hours. A long press was required to bring the radio back online and all 8 slices returned to their original configuration.
    Coincidence??

UPDATE: Rolled back Win7 Pro "April roll up" and had to do an "OKAY Power on Reset" to clear the crashing problem.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I had my Maestro running today on 20M ....   I left the room and came back about 15 minutes later and it was at the screen where you select the radio but there was no radio to select.  I had to long press the start button to get a reboot then it was ok. This is version SmartSDR_v1.10.16   on a 6500.   The radio has DC removed every night. First loss of connection since install. I had been using  SmartSDR on my PC  a little bit earlier running JT-65.

Bill
    VA3QB    
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    My 6500 also locked up today with the tone and needing the long power button push. Latest software and only other thing running on the computer was the wooden box S meter. This is the second time in two weeks that the lockup has occurred.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited August 2017
    Has anyone seen the lockup occur while just using the Mastero and Flex
  • Dewey WØYWW
    Dewey WØYWW Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I've had 2 lockups running Maestro to 6700.  Each required reboot of 6700 to restart. Rebooting Maestro did not help. At the time of each lockup, rig had been sitting idle for less than an hour -- nothing that I can associate with probable cause.  Both Maestro and 6700 are connected directly to a 100mbs unmanaged ethernet switch (it has never ever lost a packet; always reads zero).  I only run CW and SSB, no digital.  Rig has been running ok for about 2 weeks since last lockup.  I'm using version 1.10.16.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Watch the memory usage of SmartSDR.  See if it is slowly climbing out of control.

If this is what is causing the failure, I believe I read that the folks at Flex are aware of the memory leak and have fixed it.  The fix will be in the next software release.

If it is not related to the memory leak, then I guess it is an issue that still needs to be addressed.  
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes
  • Steve Jones gw0gei
    edited May 2017
    Surely the memory leak would eventually cause the pc to crash not the radio itself and would require the pc to be rebooted and not the radio? Either way, as an active contester on hf and vhf, a lack of reliabilty is a big issue. This is an issue that should be sorted in a maintenance release as soon as the solution is found, rather than being delayed for a new features or 2.0 release.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I agree with that one!
  • Don w2xb
    Don w2xb Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Just Had a lock up on 40 meters cw. In middle of a qso

Don...w2xb
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The top fixes should be fixing the radio crash, dax corruption, ssdr memory leaks...
    This is  getting very old...
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thats for sure - very very old.  Had to reset DAX again to make WSJTx transmit tones.

here's hoping . .  
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    6700 locked up just now during a wsjtx xmission; It locked up in xmit mode and required a long button push.......   radio had only been on about 30 minutes...    

Upon restarting smart sdr, it wasnt very smart about the slices. While I had 8 pans, I only had 4 slices randomly distributed, all were in cw mode before I had 4 cw, 4 digu.
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited July 2017
    It happened again just flex and smartsdr.  I had just cycled with power off and within a hour it occurred.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2017
    I have a few questions.

1.) Are you running 1.10.16?
    2.) Do you have any USB cables connected to the radio?
    3.) To reboot the radio did it take a press and release of the power button or a press and hold (5-10 seconds) before the radio started powering down?
  • James Skala
    James Skala Member
    edited May 2017
    1.) Are you running 1.10.16?
    ***yes
    2.) Do you have any USB cables connected to the radio?
    ***yes SPE 1.3k
    3.) To reboot the radio did it take a press and release of the power button or a press and hold (5-10 seconds) before the radio started powering down?
    ***Long Press

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.