Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heatsinks are falling off in 6400 and 6600 models.

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    All

Each PEN request is manually handled and it takes time to check and make sure your radio is at issue or not.  

If your heatsinks slide off, you can manually put them back on with ease.  You'll need a number 8 Torx driver if you are someone that likes to look under the covers.

I have seen a very simple field repair where a piece of string around the board will gently hold them in place  until your kit arrives.  It is actually very effective if you are ok with doing that sort of thing.

m
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    ...and, depending on the type of string used, start a fire.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Just to see if the heatsinks have fallen off or not .
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2018
    It doesn't get that hot.  :)  I used waxed lacing twine on mine.

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The wax  will make the bits slide out of the ADC faster ....

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Wayne, I see, I think after one falls off it effects the radio in a bad way,,I think you will know.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    yep..did the same thing..no response...no acknowledge it was even received ;-(

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 2019
    Hi All

I just checked with the services team and they are still processing the survey requests and the emails.  They will be in touch and it might take a few days.  

If you haven't heard back yet, that might be normal.  Don't worry, we will follow up.

thanks

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

I will be doing the 6600M's heatsinks this weekend. 

Please to have a FRS encouraged chance to "look around under the hood" and an effective fix so quickly organized.

Complex gear sometimes has problems - to the point we consider this almost "the norm."

An effective fix, with transparent delivery(either by self-install or by a paid return for service option), so quickly upon the problem being discovered, is not what consumers typically get - the FRS response and service has been "exceptional."

Even the simple temporary fix is something special - you seldom see manufacturers offer field expedient interim fixes these days.

Steve K9ZW

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    https://youtu.be/wZcJyhZuBSQ How heat gets transferred to the PC board!!
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Am I correct in assuming that Flex used a different manufacturer for the 6300, 6500 and 6700? I haven't seen any heat sink complaints for those models.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Perhaps FRS might respond to your question, but I think they said it was the same.

Thinking we cannot assume it was an issue with a cause at the subcontractor's level.

Thinking more end board Orientation and evolution of design.

Maybe even an attach compound issue.

And I don't think any prior heat sink issues were attachment compound issues.

Steve K9ZW

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    For Tom Teague...

During the month of April 2018 my 6400M was back at Flex for servicing, which was several weeks before the PEN was announced.  Immediately following the PEN announcement I reached back to Flex to clarify the extent of work performed on my radio back in April 2018.  After reviewing their records, Flex assured me that they went ahead and applied the PEN to my radio as part of the April servicing.

After reviewing your helpful photos of the A/D converter board this evening I went ahead and removed the top cover from my 6400M.  To my surprise, the heat sink on my A/D converter board was attached opposite of where your photo indicated it should be installed.  

1.  This photo was taken from the same perspective as your photo of the A/D converter board.  Notice that following the PEN upgrade on my radio there is NO heat sink on this side of the converter board (also, it does not appear that any other heat sink had fallen off).

2. close up shot

3.  As you can see in this photo, my heat sink is attached to the opposite side of the board, not on the side where you indicated it should be.

4. side view

I look forward to learning your thoughts.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    This was done correctly! The Heat Sink is between the board and the back plate. It does not go on the front of the chip.. Did you happen to watch the Video on how Flex does this???
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    No, I was only trying to reconcile inside of my radio with Tom's photos.  Do you have a link to the video?
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tom was just pointing out where this heat sink is located that Are Falling Off..
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    This is exactly what I had speculated.  The video apparently was published earlier today.  Seeing the procedure being performed by Flex was very reassuring.  Great job Flex!
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
     Don't feel bad about your radio or Flex Quality Control!

HEY!!!! Look what I just read on the Icom IC-7610 group!!!

Heat sink nearly disconnected
    Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 19:10:12 PDT

After hearing another person on this list server indicate they had a loose heat sink in their 7610 I looked at my radio which I received in mid December.   I took the bottom cover off and found one of the heat sinks nearly disconnected from the IC chip it was connected to like the previous poster.  I secured the heatsink to the IC chip with a drop of heat sink glue.

Bruce

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    But, but, isn't the 7610 supposed to be the superior radio?  : ^ )
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hi Michael,
    Does Flex plan to publish a YouTube video depicting the "PREAMP RMDR ENHANCEMENT" procedure (PEN upgrade RMDR enhancement)?  I understand that this particular enhancement is performed at the factory, not in the field.  However, it would be informative to see a video of the actual RMDR enhancement procedure.  Likewise, the video published today depicting the heat sink upgrade was informative and reasssuring.
  • Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I'm not an engineer by any means, but after building hundreds of PC's over the years the heat transfer between the top of the ceramic material component CPU / IC CHIP and the physical metal copper/aluminium heat-sink would be more cooling optimal then mounting the heat-sink on the other side of the circuit board material / plastic. Looking at the video and the board in question I wonder if some type of a hard rubber material could of been designed to slip on each edge of the board then a specially designed flexible metal spring or clip catches one edge of the board goes over the heat sink witch would apply ample pressure using Arctic Silver compound between the top of the IC Chip and heat-sink, then the other side of the clip or spring would snap on the other edge of the board to secure the heat-sink down.. I just feel a better surface contact to the top of the Chip and Heat-sink are important for lower temps..
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The only reason this happened is the incorrect epoxy was used. This is a common way of mounting heat sinks in most electronic devices we buy now days other than computer PC's.

All the 6500 and 7600 are mounted this way and it has worked very well.
    When the PEN radios are fixed with the new heat sinks and the proper epoxy, this is likely going to be the end of it.
  • Ken - VE5KC
    Ken - VE5KC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hi Michael.. What is the plan/procedure for customers who purchase their radios from the Canadian dealer? TNX... 73.. Ken
  • FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hear is my temporary fix.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I think if I check mine before I get the kit I will use a plastic zip tie to go around the board across the heat sink to hold it on. It appears by the pictures the board is plug in so can I just get a 2nd plug in board to change my 6400m to a 6600m or does the 6400m only have one connector for the board with fhe adc on ... always thinking out of the box :-)
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well its 430am and I was brave and did it. Took 30 minutes total cause I went slow and careful. Making sure to have all connections on back labled so I put them back in the correct jacks when done. Here is the pictures and results and now having been proactive I am not stressing wondering if I will turn the rig on one day and and not be able to use it. It was so worth it for that reason alone. Here are some pics and the divider is not solid as can be seen. Looks top quality inside excellent job flex!
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Nice video Tom ... When I was done for once I didnt have any extra parts left over :-)
  • Tom Teague
    Tom Teague Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thank you DOUG (W8QB) for the photos of how it should look like after the PEN is done.  I know I did not show the back of my A/D chip board so here it is.  My 6600M was one of the first out of the factory so it did not have the new heatsink on the back of the board.  Here is the pitcher of my side view.  My radio is on its way back for repair because I lost RX and TX on all bands.  I think one of the Fallen heatsink may have shorted out something on one of the circuit boards. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.