Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hercules MIDI with 6300

Comments

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Duane!  you're now 1 behind :)
  • MH_Flexer
    MH_Flexer Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015

LOL

It looks like Dropbox will need a new link for each updated file.

Here is a new link that includes V1_8 If it still pulls up the old file, please let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0u0hlghipo0orj/CMDMicroFlex6K%20Version%20Release%20Notes.docx?dl=0

William,

Is this helpful?

Duane

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William,

Once again, thanks for this great software.

Regarding step sizes, what you have works fine on my Hercules and I leave this to your good judgement.  My CMD Micro arrives tomorrow and I'm excited to fire it up.

I will point out a couple of my observations.  I find that most HF SSB QSOs occur at 500Hz. steps with only a few landing in between.  As a result, I've set the step size in SmartSDR on SSB at 500 Hz. and I use my mouse wheel to move across the band and/or point click to a trace in the waterfall.  When I want to fine tune, I use the Hercules with your software set for 10Hz.  On CW, click tune & 10Hz. seems to work well for me.

SmartSDR 1.4 remembers steps size on a per mode basis which are user selectable.  One way to satisfy many users would be to have the CMD step button cycle between the current SmartSDR step size selection and the fine tuning selection you think best.

I've suggested to Flex that they designate one of the extra "thumb" buttons on a five button mouse to select a second, selectable step size for fine tuning .  The suggestion is under consideration and I'm hopeful they will agree to this.

Have you considered a button to step through the bands or, for more versatility,  the new SmartSDR memory settings?

Best regards William & great work.  Thanks,

Bob, W7KWS
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yes it is, thanks!
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    All,

A minor update to v1.8.  In v1.9 you can now save your defaults for the new Toggles added in v1.8.  A save button was added in the lower right corner.  After you save, next time you start CMDMicroFlex6k the toggles will remain in the state you choose.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwu4aub7b3xu9vd/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_9.zip?dl=0

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Duane,

I experimented with step sizes a lot.  On the mouse 500hz is fine, as the mouse has indents.  Jut on a jog wheel 500hz was way too touchy.

In the hercules I implemented a slowdown routine that reduced the sensitivity of the jog wheel.  With this sensitivity turned down, tuning 500hz steps was not an issue.

I used the CMD micro during the last SSb contest, and I found that I only used 10hz, as most QSO's were at odd increments.  And if I wanted to move fast to the other side of the band 100hz was sufficient.

I'm open to ideas and would like others opinions.  Its no work for me to add as many as people want.  Just don't want to make it more complicated when it doesn't need to be.

In my operating style I only want two speeds.  Slow and fast.  If I have to cycle through step rates constantly it slows down my QSO rate.  If I need to go faster I just grab the mouse.

Others what is your opinion?  I'm happy to update as the community wants.

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I had another idea today at lunch.  The jog wheels on the CMD Micro are touch sensitive.  The center section of the wheel is metal and the outside is plastic.

In the DJ world this would be used for Jog and nudge.  Spinning the wheel using your finger placed on the center metal section is JOG, and spinning the wheel touching the outside plastic section is Nudge.

One thing I have noticed is fine tuning without indents is very touchy. 

So I decided to use the DJ logic in the CMD Micro.  If you spin the wheel from the outside (aka nudge) it slows the sensitivity down 5 times, allowing easier fine adjustment.  Spin the wheel with your finger from the center metal portion and its normal speed.

This is actually very intuitive and does not require any thought or practice.

I'm uploading a video and will past link shortly.  Let me know if you like this idea!

William
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William,

Given the differences you remind me of between a mouse wheel and the tuning knob on the MIDI controller, I understand where you are coming from.  Thanks!

I wasn't suggesting that the step button cycle through all of the SmartSDR settings but rather toggle between the "current" setting and a fine tuning setting.  This way the user can set the SmartSDR setting on a per mode basis to his/her liking.

I use 500Hz. on a TMate2 coupled to SmartSDR via N4PY's Pegasus software. The TMate2  has a smooth knob much like the MIDIs.  Pushing the TMate2's tuning knob down toggles between 500Hz. & 10Hz. on SSB & 100Hz, 10Hz. on CW.  I find these setting work pretty well.

Just as an idea thought for everyone, I've found the MIDI controllers knobs to be a bit too shallow & uncomfortable compared to the feel of most radio tuning knobs.  On the Hercules I've glued a Daka-Ware 2" knob to the face of the Hercules platter which really makes a difference in the feel and it looks pretty good to.  When I make the mod to the CMD, I'll try to post a picture.

Here's a link to the knobs I'm using.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluted-Daka-Ware-Tuning-Knob-2-Dia-Skirt-No-Pointer-/360399360920?pt=LH_Defa...

Best to you, William,

Bob, W7KWS (not Duane LOL)

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William,

Very interesting.  When I get the CMD this afternoon I'll try it. 

You and I were posting at the same time so I didn't see your last until after I'd finished my last.  I'll reconsider the knob I glue to the CMD.  It may have to be a conductive knob.

Bob
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Bob,

I have not uploaded the code yet for this feature.  Wanting comments if people think its useful first.  Currently spinning is spinning, no difference inside or out.  But I think adding this nudge feature is pretty slick.

William
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Looks like an awesome idea to me!

I think i will return my Numark ORBIT and get one of those controllers.
    I like what you are doing, and the Numark ORBIT is stiff, and the driver software is a bit kludgy.  I am not pleased at all. it is very difficult to get the drivers working right, etc.

I love my Hercules DJControl LE.  The CMD Micro will become my remoting unit.

BTW.  I have not looked at what you are doing for the options toggles.  But it seems like you may not be far from a complete "Right-click and choose your option" interface for each button and control.  If you could manage this, everyone could customize everything the way they want and save it.  It would simplify the "can you make this button do this instead of that?"

I am planning on doing that with my Herc if I can figure out the logic for a drop list...
    But that will all need to wait until next week.

Ken - NM9P
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    William, short report:
    just tested CMD Micro with v1_9 and SSDR 1.4.3 on my iMAC 27 5K with Parallels and Win10 Tech preview with last update - NO DOUBTS, great job !
    Thank you!
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I like the spin and nudge. Is it adjustable and would it replace the need for the step button making that button available for a different function?
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ken,

I have that already in the works.  A generic midi mapping software.  I already have mastered the load, save, dropdown, etc necessary to do this.

My idea is as follows.

A generic app screen with a bunch of features listed such as tuneA, agctA, volA, etc.  Each will have a dropdown allowing you to choose a controller pitch/note.  I will have a dropdown allowing you to select the midi device also.

The app will have a built in midi tester so you can easily find out what control is what pitch/note etc.

Once you map it all out, the app will allow you to save.

It will be a piece of work, but I think I can get it done.

William
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William, I like the spin-and-nudge function and would like to try it. 73, Alex DH2ID
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    William, a 'dummy' question, pse.  My CMD is in the mail.  Do I just plug it in and let win7 pick it up?  do i install any software from Behringer?  or, just run your software after my 6500 is connected?

Outstanding work on your part, and generous of you to share it freely !  73

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Just plug it in and load my software.  No drivers required for the CMD Micro as windows finds it auto-magically.

William

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Uploading it now.  Try it out and let me know!
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Sergey,

Glad its working for you!

David,

it is not currently adjustable, and it does not replace the steps button.  nudge only slows down the wheel so its less touchy.  You would still need to change the step.

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Here is the video for the spin and nudge, since it seems to have got buried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNiL9WMohrQ

Download link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyri9gq28qjnm56/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_9b.zip?dl=0

• Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

William, I like this idea, I will have my cmdmicro tonight.  I am going to return the Hurcules.

Jeff N3VE

• KD8TVB
    KD8TVB Member
    edited April 2015
    my micro will be here tomorrow, Hercules will go back to amazon in a box tomorrow...

Thank you William!
  • Javier, KC2QII
    Javier, KC2QII Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Works great William.

Thanks,

Javier
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William, nudge is great! (nudge-nudge you know, Monty Python like...)
    An on top a new SmartSDR version, and a new ham radio deluxe version!
    It's like birthday, xmas and easter together ;-)
    Thanks, happy Easter! and 73,
    Alex DH2ID

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    william, that is just TOO COOL !!

• GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    works very well with hp stream 7" see photo here

and video here
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/90698164@N02/17012664552/

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Nice!!!
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Cool!  Glad everyone is liking it!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.