Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hercules MIDI with 6300

Comments

• Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Ken, I've no idea if they are rotary encoders or with detents.  I just saw the device, watched the video and brainstormed some potential use cases.  :)
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What about this?  Each dial has an alternate function when "press turned".  Also a shift button for alternate switch functions.  This is of course on the assumption the dials are encoders.

The LED's in the encoders/ slider will show same value as SmartSDR.  But this means I have to parse a ton more data. 

Also think I will make the step button switch between 1/10/50 then add a step x10 button for fast movement.  So when on 10hz step the x10 button will switch it to 100, and 50 to 500, etc etc.

This will be my most extensive project to date, but I think it will be AWSOME when its done.

Thoughts?

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Have two TX selects oops, but yall get the idea
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Looks and sound good. I like the shift button.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I just looked they are all endless rotary encoders
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Wonderful!  That just increased their value! 8 rotary encoders!
    You can encode them in the same way that you do the mode shift button, but with a high end and low end stop.  Other commands you can do like the rotary encoders for RIT/XIT.

I am going to enjoy this one when it arrives!  It may even become my main MIDI control.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    By "press tuned" do you mean like a function toggle button, or press-and-hold-down while tuning?  I like the first, but do not like the last.  I always seem to let go too soon with a press-and-hold tuning button.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited October 2016
    I was thinking that the pushbutton function of the 8 knobs would work as an individual shift button for that particular knob.  The shift button is still a good idea, but if each knob can be shifted individually by just pressing the knob you already have a hold of, that would be much better than releasing the knob, hitting shift, finding the knob again.  I'm just thinking workflow during contesting, and not having to hunt the shift button for the knobs would certainly speed things up.  To be clear, i'm envisioning pressing the knob as a momentary action, not one to be held while making the adjustment.

Also for the RIT/XIT on/off and shifted clear function, maybe holding the button for 1 second would clear rather than hitting shift?  Contest types may want a 500msec instead, but then I suppose you could expose that variable as a user configured value.

From an old sound engineer standpoint, it makes sense to me to put the master volume on the big fader, and move VFO volume to go live with HP volume.  Probably just personal preference though.

Not sure what "bandwidth" refers to under "mic level" is that the panadapter zoom?  If so, that's a GREAT idea.

I'm with you William, this is going to be AWESOME.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ken its a toggle not a press an hold, at least that is how I'm coding it.  I guess you can code it any way you like.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sounds good. Boolean logic for a status toggle, IF/ELSE for variable function. Should be easy going!
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    All,

For the CMD PL1 I will need much more data from the radio.  Currently the CMD micro only queries Freq, slice, mode.  So I started a new parse routine to use with the PL1.  Currently the parsing is working good for Freq,slice,mode,pan,agc,slice vol,balance,tx low,tx high, rx low, rx high, bandwidth for slice A and B.  I still need to add in Main volume and a few others.

So that was the biggest hurdle.  If anyone cares to look at how I did this;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cw9fu6s993hxxd8/Flex_Parse.pde?dl=0

William

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks I was looking for a bit of code I changed a few revisions back, but couldn't find it.  your doc helped me locate it.  I'm very unorganized, more OCD

william
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I'm looking to limit the available modes on the CMD for speed.  Which modes do you really need on a controller.  I think digi modes should just be done on the pc where they belong.

My thoughts are USB,LSB,AM,CW and that's it.  Opinions?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DIGU, NFM modes needed here...
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    ok
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Maybe a list of available modes can be made in a user editable file.  This way people can choose the modes they use.

For me I am 99% phone, but others may be 99% Digi or CW.

William
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited October 2016
    I'm thinking that are any modes needed at all on the CMD?  My use case is putting frequently accessed settings within easy reach.  I don't change modes very often in a session, so taking up a spot on the CMD is of limited value to me.  However, I think the USB, LSB, AM and CW would cover it, but I would substitute SAM for AM.
  • Javier, KC2QII
    Javier, KC2QII Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    William,

I think editable list would be a better option.  In my case, I would set it to DIGL, USB, SSB, CW.  

Javier
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Javier, I concur with an editable, or dropdown list.
  • IK6DLK Fabrizio
    edited November 2016
    william I installed only version 1.9E, the program runs, but does not find the flex6500. With older version of your program, not numbered, by entering the IP Flex 6500 CMDMicro runs good. A suggestion? win 8.1 Tnx Fabrizio IK6DLK image
  • Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It seems I'm having a similar problem with my 6500. I've downloaded V1.9e and get no ip connection to the radio. The CMD window appears on my desktop and there's some interaction between the desktop and the controller but not with the radio. This is the 1st attempt to get this working with my 6500. I did have an LE with my old F5K but that was a different setup. Also it appears after I installed the software and the controller found its driver my desktop icons got scrambled and enlarged during a reboot. ??? I'm running i7, win7 64bit, 16gb ram and dual video cards.
  • Bernie
    Bernie Member
    edited April 2015
    V1.9e is working OK here.  Also running i7, win 7 64 bit, but only 1 video card.

Bernie, W4BGH
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Fabrizio,

You are the first to report this issue with discovery.  I'm not sure what it could be without being there.  However I made you a custom version of the newest version that uses manual IP.  This should allow you to use the latest features.  Please try the original software on different workstations and check the obvious things such firewall settings etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gap6unikww23mk1/CMDMicroFlex6k_v1_9e-manual.zip?dl=0

Joe,

The software does not modify anything in windows.  It actually does not install at all.  Its just a standalone portable app.  Any changes to your windows Icons must purely be coincidental.

William

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    The discovery issue could be slow network response.  The APP listens for 3 seconds before deciding giving up.  With my nework and radio I receive 4 UDP messages within  that time.  Maybe this is just not long enough for slower networks.  I will post a new version tomorrow with a longer timeout.  Until then please use the manual version I just posted.  I am away from my main workstation with all my data.

William
  • Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks William, I'll try it tonight when I get home.
  • Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

I loaded the "Manual" version last night and took a small step forward.

After entering the IP i can now see the frequency readout on the CMD screen for VFO A and if I add a B VFO/Slice that appears also. If I change freq using my Flex Kno or Mouse the Freq on the CMD screen follows along.

However, I get no response from the CMD device controls. NaDa!

I did uninstall the previous version of 1.9e automated IP version bdefore installing the Manual version.

Joe

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Joe,

The program can not contact the CMD Micro.  Please use this midi test software to see if the CMD Micro is even working.

If this software does not show CMD Micro as an option in the dropdown, the Micro is not working.  This is most likely a driver problem on your PC.

Also check device manager and see if the CMD Micro is there.

http://forum.djuced.com/files/p_download/137/miditest.exe

William

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    All,

I have the CMD PL-1 partially working.  Wow this guy has my head spinning.  Its taken me a good amount of time to figure this guy out.   The Deck button switches channels, and this is actually sorta a pain. 

So far I have the VFO working with steps 1/10/50hz and the x10 button .  Also I have waterfall bandwidth, main vol, headphone vol, vfo vol working.

This controller is surely more of a challenge, but I will get all the functions working with time.  I just wish I could control the deck selection via software, so it would just cycle 1-2 only.

I have a video uploading that shows the above functions working that I will post in a bit.

William
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    William, You could make your control IF/THEN statements active in multiple decks with something like: IF ((channel == 1) || (channel == 2)) && (pitch == 20)) Then do this function.... That would allow you to use the same buttons on most of the controller when you change the VFO channel. You could also have the different decks allow a different layout for some functions. But that could get really complicated... Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.