Flex 6400M crashed in the middle of running a net

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • In Progress
My 6400M running software version 2.133 crashed this evening while running a 40 meter SSB net.  I had to switch to the Icom IC-7300 in order to complete the net.  I consider this to be a major software bug.  I know that at least 10 other 6400M owners are experiencing the same problem and I know that Tim is aware of the problem and has submitted a problem report.  I would hope that this would be a priority fix.  It is embarrassing to be in the middle of a QSO or Net and have your radio quit working.  This has happened before while not touching any controls.  This is in so many ways a great radio, but this problem is unacceptable. So until this problem is fixed I will have to run the net on my IC-7300.
Photo of Ron WD5FUN

Ron WD5FUN

• 25 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9149 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
Official Response
Sorry for my late reply.  I am working directly with Ron to better characterize the issue he is having using our HelpDesk.  It is possible that the issue Ron is having may be hardware related. 

I also wanted to address some of the other reports of periodic software crashes.  Not all crashes are due to the same root cause. Our HelpDesk staff is trained to do methodical troubleshooting steps to triage the issue and focus on what the probable root cause may be.  As in the case of Ron, his issue is presenting like a possible hardware issue.

This doesn't mean we haven't been addressing other crashing issues in parallel that have a possible software root cause. We have been working on this issue very diligently with our alpha team while preparing SmartSDR v2.2.  The reports from the team on improved operational stability are very promising and we have folks that operate the radio for protracted periods of time where uptime is critical (radio sport). 

We are almost at the "release candidate" quality stage of the v2.2 release.  This means that GA (general availability) should not be too far down the road.  I am not making any promises as to when, as we still don't know what we don't know, but it is getting closer to being a public release.