6000 Series and ALS-1306 Amp

• Question
  • Updated 3 hours ago
All

I want to confirm something for a customer, and that is the exact setup for a Serial connection to a ALS-1306.

From what I can dig up, you need

• ALS-1306 (obviously :) )
  • FTDI USB / RS232 cable to the 6000 radio
  • Null Modem adapter (Female to Female ?) 
  • MFJ DB-DB7K (not the TS480) -- the DB9 cable being Male?
Can anyone that has done this, please confirm.

Thanks, Mike
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 318 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of WQ2H - Jim Poulette

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 118 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Mike - Aside power, I don't know exactly what the differences are between an ALS-1306 and an ALS-600, but in looking at the rear I/O, and pin out for the remote interface - they appear to be the same.

In the event you use an ARI-500 and a USB cable - I believe the (K1FQL/W8QB) cable I documented may suffice. I've been using it continuously for auto-band switching between the 6600M and the ALS-600/ARI-500 without a single glitch.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/als-600-ari-500-to-flex-6xxx-happiness

Hope this helps. Whatever path is chosen - good luck !

Jim, WQ2H

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 318 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Hi Jim

Thanks

I just put this together.  The key point was the sex of the DB-DB7DX and this does it via CAT/RS232 on the 6000.  

Mike
Photo of WQ2H - Jim Poulette

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 118 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Got it.

Bottom line: Whatever flavor of cables - I can't wait until the PGXL is available.

Jim, WQ2H
Photo of Frank Ventura

Frank Ventura

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Once the cables are hooked up, can I assume that the USB port on the Flex should be configured for CAT?

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 265 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Hi Frank

Yes, you want to set it up as a CAT device and to follow the TX Slice, unless you have a 6600 series then will want it to follow the ANT port it is connected to.  If you have 2 amps, then you can dedicate one to each antenna port.

Mike
Photo of Jim Branson

Jim Branson

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Has anyone been able to get this combination to work?  I have a Flex 6600 and an ALS-1306.

• Ameritron/Kenwood cable DB-DB7DK (Female)
  • Flex Radio ACC-USBSERIAL fMale)
  • DB9 Male/Female Null Modem Mini Adapter 
USB Flex Radio ACC-USBSERIAL plugged into Flex 6600 to Ameritron/Kenwood cable via 9 pin serial then using DB9 Male/Female Null Modem Mini Adapter plugged into ALS-1306.   RCA plug into ALS-1306.  7 pin round Yaesu plug is not plugged in to anything.

Settings USB Cable:
Using CAT as cable type, TX antenna, Ant 1,  auto report enabled, 9600, 8 , none, 1 and Flow Control set to none.   

ALS-1306 is set to remote and switches to 30 meters and never changes as I change bands on Flex.

Example of logging when changing bands:

05:15:06 (TX): FA00007196046;
05:15:07 (TX): FA00007245000;
05:15:41 (TX): FA00001930719;
05:15:41 (TX): FA00001940000;
05:16:23 (TX): FA00001940000;
05:16:30 (TX): FA00003827923;
05:16:30 (TX): FA00003806800;

Thanks,
Jim 
N0LBY

Photo of Ron Koenig

Ron Koenig

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Did you ever get it to work Jim Branson ?
Photo of Jim Branson

Jim Branson

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No.  I cannot get it to work.  Any suggestions for troubleshooting from the community will be welcome.

Jim N0LBY
Photo of Gary  w8vi

Gary w8vi

• 38 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I have the Flex 6600 and the ALS-1306 communicating and changing bands.

What worked for me:

- Ameritron - Kenwood DB-DB7DK cable (not the TS-480 cable) Has 2 female DB9 connectors

- Wireness FTDI USB to Null modem DB9F serial adapter Full Hardware handshake 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XG6S7YQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Has USB and DB9 Female connectors

- DB9 female to female gender changer
(it connects the Null modem cable to the DB-DB7DK cable - You need this because both cables have 9 pin female connectors)

I had a hard time finding a FTDI null-modem cable with a USB connector on one end and a Male DB9 connector on the other. I ended up with the Wireness model noted above that has a Female DB9 connector thus requiring a gender changer to connect both female cable connectors.

I've also used the same configuration successfully with my 6300.

Gary

(Edited)
Photo of James Kennedy-WU5E

James Kennedy-WU5E

• 307 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I got that cable you suggested and it worked!!!!!!!!!! thanks

Jim
wu5e
Photo of Jim Branson

Jim Branson

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I managed to get the ALS-1306 to switch with a Yeasu FTDX-1200 and the AMERITRON DB-10MY cable.  That eliminates the problem being in the amp.   I suspect there maybe an issue with one of the cables.
Photo of Jim Branson

Jim Branson

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This post has been edited to show correct pinout.

After trying the described configuration above with two different DB-DB7DK, null modem and Flex Radio ACC-USBSERIAL (Male) cables.  I could never get the combination to work.   I downloaded the following diagram from W1TR (modified diagram for correct pinout) and built my own cable.   It changes the ALS-1306 to 160-6M perfectly using this cable configuration and the Flex Radio ACC-USBSERIAL cable.  
Thanks goes to W1TR and KE0U.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 121 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
A small comment... as someone who makes test adapters/cables for many technicians... I can say with certainty, make SURE you verify the pin-outs with an ohmmeter, do NOT depend on the color code. Colors can and DO vary between manufacturers. (nice work btw)
Photo of Jim Branson

Jim Branson

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Dave,
Thanks for the post and the 6600!  You are SO correct about the colors being different.

Jim 
Photo of Ed Stallman

Ed Stallman

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Will this cabling work with the 1300 as well ?

Ed N5DG
Photo of Ed N5DG

Ed N5DG

• 60 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I'm trying to help a friend and make up this cable above.. This is the USB to RS232 Adapter with FTDI chip cable I bought and used for my 2KFA amp that worked fine for me
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758BMXBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
? My question , with the Amazon cable plus the made up cable shown above  the 1306 will follow the Flex 6600 ? 
Could someone send me a screenshot of their USB Cat Cable Setup in SSDR 

Thanks Ed N5DG
Photo of Jim Branson

Jim Branson

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The screen shot above should be correct.  That's what I'm using.  

Jim N0LBY
Photo of Dudley - WA5QPZ

Dudley - WA5QPZ, Elmer

• 73 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Ed,

Same as the ALS606, as in the USB serial Document.
USB to Serial -> null modem (wired as in the doc) -> Ameritron , Kenwood cable to rear of amp, use CAT for amp setting. Rear of amp is specially wired for each different CAT mode (Ken/Ya) .

Dudley
Photo of Ed N5DG

Ed N5DG

• 60 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks Dudley , I guess what ur saying is the USB Cable from Amazon and the built cable won't work ? That looked easy . Guess I won't be helping my friend . You lost me on the ALS 606 and I guess this USB serial Document I can do a google search for ? I'll start a new post and see if someone can tell me what they did .. What cable to buy and where 
Thanks Ed N5DG
Photo of Jim Branson

Jim Branson

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ed,

I purchased the Flex ACC-USBSERIAL cable.  
http://cart.flexradio.com/USB-to-Serial-adapter-for-the-FLEX-6000-series_p_1002.html

I built the cable as described above and connected it to the Flex USB to Serial cable.  The cable I built is plugged directly into the ALS-1306.  Works perfectly.    Note: I am not using a null modem adapter.   My e-mail is good on QRZ.  If you want to drop me a e-mail, I can give you my phone number if you want to talk more about it.

Jim N0LBY
(Edited)
Photo of Ed N5DG

Ed N5DG

• 60 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Jim Tnx reply , I'll do just as you described , I bet it will work fine  

Thanks Ed N5DG
Photo of Ed N5DG

Ed N5DG

• 60 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Jim tnx for ur post showing how to assemble the cable  from Flex 6000 to ALS 1306 . I made this cable up and sent to my friend , received a phone call today telling me how well it worked .
Tnx agn , Ed N5DG
Photo of Don - kx9q

Don - kx9q

• 435 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
MFJ just started selling the RJ-USB6000 cable ($39.95) today for interfacing the Flex to the ARI-500.

Don - kx9q