ALS-600/ARI-500 to Flex 6XXX Happiness

• Idea
  • Updated 13 hours ago
Since I couldn't find anything similar in the forum, this diagram is basically documenting the work of K1FQL and W8QB in their previous posts. I have built one and tested it with my 6600M on all amateur bands 160m-10m for auto-band switching with the ARI-500. I have no doubt that Flex will eventually offer an off-the-shelf pre-built cable someday, but until then it does make a decent DIY project should you desire the automatic switching now. While Doug used 2 D-connectors to house the interconnects - I simply put them in a small plastic box and potted them (making them inseparable).

If you need to adjust ALC for some reason then I recommend consulting the Ameritron manual. Using the Tx Gain in the DAX control panel is a handy way to arrive at the right amount of drive power - very similar to the instructions in the manual. Standard disclaimer applies; use at your own risk. If anyone sees any glaring errors, or improvements - let me know. Good luck !

Thanks to K1FQL and W8QB (and inspector Barney) for getting this solved. Original post is here: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/connecting-an-als-600-to-a-flex-6000-series-radio

73 Jim, WQ2H

Photo of WQ2H - Jim Poulette

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 120 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
  • Joyful !

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Mike Webb KC0YHM

Mike Webb KC0YHM

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
GM Jim...I just bought a 600 and ARI to go with my 6400.
I'm guessing you've been using the amp and ARI....is it still working well for you?
Had to ask before I built the cable... ;->
Mike Webb
KC0YHM

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 120 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Hi Mike, No issues so far on 10-160m. I use it almost every morning. I may be overly conservative, but it's nice to be able to keep the Flex in the 20-30W range, and use the AT-1000ProII which is my preferred tuner.

The only serious issue is that I keep forgetting to turn the amp on. (....but that's nothing new)

Good luck!

Jim, WQ2H

P.S. - I think that's a fine looking glass of beer on your QRZ page - almost looks like our local Leviathan IPA.
Photo of John

John

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Jim,

I have a 6400 and an LDG AT-1000Proii.  My understanding is that there is no working interface cable.  Are you just tuning using the LDG's RF sensing function or did you find some other solution?

Thanks,

John - AA6JA
Photo of Mike Webb KC0YHM

Mike Webb KC0YHM

• 23 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
The Falcon video was awesome...are you involved?...I'm a huge fan of the teams Elon has built and all the things they are doing.
--
That was a very good beer...Peg and I were in Prague..a great, friendly, city.
--
Perhaps a checklist for the on/off issue.... ;->
Photo of Ron Koenig

Ron Koenig

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can or has this been adapted to the DB-9 plug on an ALS-1306 ? I am needing a Solid way to connect one to a Flex 6600.
Photo of Dudley - WA5QPZ

Dudley - WA5QPZ, Elmer

• 73 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Ron,

There is a document in the Flex Downloads for connecting to the ALS600S (which has the same as the ALS-1306)  using CAT commands via the USB port on the rear of the radio. 

https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/

Hope this helps.

Photo of Don - kx9q

Don - kx9q

• 435 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
MFJ just started selling the RJ-USB6000 cable ($39.95) today for interfacing the Flex to the ARI-500.

Don - kx9q

WQ2H - Jim Poulette

• 119 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Nice, didn't take them long - and I see it's already up to $49.95 !
Making it, buying it, either way it's a pretty easy set-up.
Until the PGXL is ready - the ALS-600 will more then suffice. Good luck !
Jim, WQ2H