Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using ZeroTier one

Options
KG5PTE
KG5PTE Member ✭✭

Can the ZeroTier app interfere with Smart SDR and smart link with Microsoft windows ?

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Apparently.

However, the configuration is not trivial or plug and play.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes Mike I found out Zerotier is hard to configure.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I like the concept and it works well for my remote desktops. That was pretty simple to set up.

• Mark - W0QL
    Mark - W0QL Member ✭✭
    Options

I’m using ZeroTier to connect to my Remote Desktop BUT I’d like to use ZeroTier to connect from my Maestro to my remote 6600. Any suggestions? Another post here suggests Mikrotik. Are there configuration instructions somewhere for an average guy like me?

Thanks,

Mark W0QL

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 1
    Options

Danny, K5CG, put together this set of instructions:

https://cloud.siminiuk.com/s/kaFyEArt45LXZPiIt works well.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

I uploaded it as a PDF just in case the link to a personal filesystem disappears.

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW I do not think the pdf-document turned out the way you intended :)

You might have a look, it's more like a scrren dump, and I get a time-out when trying the cloud.siminuk link

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

wonderful! :)

I will delete it.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

So looking for a way to get the Maestro on the ZeroTier network.

Does any one know if I build a ZeroTier server on a Raspberry PI or PC at home where the 6700 is located as the Server and a Laptop or other Raspberry Pi as a Client that I could Bridge the Laptop (Client) Wireless on the Laptops Wired Ethernet port then connect the Laptop Wireless to a Public Hotspot then plug the Maestro into the Laptops Ethernet Port?

Hope that makes sense.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Bret, I haven't done anything with ZeroTier, but I have done that with SoftEther VPN. I have a diagram on my QRZ page. I use it to connect my TeensyMaestro when I am operating from my camper.

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited May 2
    Options

I wrote this 'wedge' the other day and I was given permission to share it. I use it from time to time for testing over a VPN when I need to eliminate SmartLink.

This will allow you to see your radio over most VPNs. It is a great little project if you want to learn about SubNets and IP Addresses. Feel free to give it a try if you are adventurous, or, maybe you can build the better product. Maybe Mark will add it to FRStack.

Most of the details are on the GIT page, but essentially, this Python3 script runs on my PC (or a PI) on the local user network (subnet). What it does is spoof the radio on the local net but when your SSDR client sees it, it has the IP address of the radio and it will then connect to the radio on the other network.

It only works with the radio but not 4O3A products, but those crafty enough could figure that it out pretty easy and add their broadcast messages.

When you get to the config.ini file, yes, those are my exact settings and you have to change them all to match your radio. My radio is a 6600.

You will also need to change the IP settings to match your network.

There are a number of other settings in the UDP broadcast that likely should be changed if you are using a single SCU radio, but I am not 100% sure how critical it is. That info is normally just used for the Radio Chooser to do its thing and present some user data.

And, I'll fess up. I used ChatGPT to code 99% of this. I just fed it a sample udp radio broadcast packet and it mostly worked the first time.

*** This is an as is project and not related to FlexRadio Inc.

*** Do not open a support case if it doesn't work. :) Otherwise, I will be at the rath of Mr. Tim. :) As well, do not open a support case for a remote issue over a VPN using this or anything similar. They will ask you to test on SmartLink and if it works the support team needs to move on. Sorry, but it is a bandwidth issue.

It comes with zero support from me simply due to other time constraints. But, we have enough elmers here that can quickly understand how it works. Or, maybe build something that run on a PC GUI rather than in a comand prompt. I would be happy if someone made it their own.

Have fun and I hope you learn something.

73, Mike va3mw

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much Len for the information and yes I have used SoftEther as well, I was just wondering if ZeroTier could do it just in case AI wanted to give that a try.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

It should work as long as your VPN tunnel passes directed UDP traffic from 1 subnet to the other, which is different than broadcast traffic.

This may require that a rule is opened on the Server/Router to allow for this to happen. Depending on what your FireWall rules are, you may need to adjust them.

And, if it doesn't work, WireShark is your friend. It is a great tool and for those that don't know how to use it, there are lots of videos.

You only need a few tools. These are the ones I use all the time:

• only show based on an ip address
    • only show based on Port data (4992 in this case)
    • Follow TCP Stream
    • Follow UDP Stream

If you are having issues, there are likely a dozen reasons why your VPN tunnel is blocking communications.

Good luck and have fun with it. Expect a hiccup or 2 if you are not savvy with basic network communications. But, you will learn something.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Right now I run SoftEther.net Server on a computer on the same Network the Radio is on, and a SoftEther Server in Bridge mode on my laptop.

The laptop connects to public WIFI then the Laptops SoftEther.net Bridge server calls home to the Home Network then I simply plug the Maestro into the Wired ethernet port on the Laptop.

Unfortunately I can't use the Laptop to login to the Home network Lan with out it causing a loop on the Network with tons of collisions. I need to be smarter and have the Laptop VPN server filter out all except the Radio's MAC address. Maybe some day I'll figure it out.

I use to do this with a Raspberry Pi but it was a pain setting the Public Wireless up so I was just wondering if ZeroTier worked the same way or if it would keep it from building a loop and it would be Nice to run the VPN server on the Router (Microtik).

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

I am very interested in Mike's Python script. Because this thread is about Zerotier, and I want to head in a slightly different direction, I created a new topic:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.