Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FreeDV going Mainstream

Mike VE3CKO
Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in Third-Party Software

Just came across this several day old news regarding FreeDV, read below. I haven't seen anyone comment about this in the community yet. You would hope this would bring life back the FreeDV waveform since every FlexRadio 6000 series radio is ready, just need the waveform updated that actually works. The day a new, working waveform is released you would have many FlexRadio users installing and using it.

Hoping there is a developer willing to take this on. Anyone have more information on this ?

FreeDV Aims to Bring Open-Source HF Digital Voice Into the Mainstream

San Diego, CA, March 09, 2023 --(PR.com)-- To advance the state of the art in HF digital voice and to promote its use, Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC) has awarded $420,000 to the FreeDV Project. With this grant, the FreeDV Project team will:

• Hire experienced digital signal processing developers to work with the volunteer staff to improve speech quality and improve low signal-to-noise ratio operation, making FreeDV performance superior to single-sideband (SSB) over poor high-frequency (HF) channels.
  • Work with commercial HF radio companies to embed FreeDV into at least two commercial radios, greatly reducing set up effort and reducing latency.
  • Continue development of a suite of advanced, open-source HF modems, with the goal of making FreeDV’s digital performance comparable to VARA at both low and high signal-noise ratios.
  • Continue support of the existing software library (libcodec2) and application software (freedv-gui), and embedded FreeDV adaptors (SM1000 and ezDV).
  • Better promote FreeDV online and in person at amateur radio clubs and conventions.

The FreeDV Project team believes that the work funded by this grant will:

• Open the path to widespread adoption of a truly open-source, next-generation digital voice system for HF radio.
  • Provide a mature, open-source low-bit-rate codec useful for a variety of amateur radio and commercial applications.
  • Provide a suite of high performance, HF data modems for open-source data applications usable by any radio amateur.

About FreeDV

FreeDV is a low-bit-rate digital voice mode for HF radio. Initially developed by David Rowe, VK5DGR, an international team of radio amateurs are now working together on the project. FreeDV is open-source software, released under the GNU Lesser Public License (LPGL) version 2.1. The modems and Codec 2 speech codec used in FreeDV are also open source. Hardware and software developers can integrate FreeDV into their projects using the FreeDV API. To operate FreeDV, radio amateurs either run the FreeDV GUI application on Windows, Linux and OSX machines or use the SM1000 FreeDV adaptor. Either method allows hams to use a single-sideband HF radio to send and receive FreeDV signals. To learn more about FreeDV, go to https://www.freedv.org

About ARDC

Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC) is a California-based foundation with roots in amateur radio and the technology of internet communication. The organization got its start by managing the AMPRNet address space, which is reserved for licensed amateur radio operators worldwide. Additionally, ARDC makes grants to projects and organizations that follow amateur radio’s practice and tradition of technical experimentation in both amateur radio and digital communication science. Such experimentation has led to advances that benefit the general public, including the mobile phone and wireless internet technology. ARDC envisions a world where all such technology is available through open source hardware and software, and where anyone has the ability to innovate upon it. To learn more about ARDC, go to https://www.ardc.net.

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Thanks for posting this Mike. It will be interesting to see where this leads us.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

I saw this too and decided to download the latest Windows version of the s/w and the manual.

We could start using this now using the computer mic thru DAX input to the rig, but it would be WONDERFUL if someone could come up with a waveform and we could use FreeDV 'natively' just by selecting it as a mode!

Hey, maybe we could even sched a 'FlexDV' net???

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

With 10M open, it would be fun to play with above 28.500Mhz just for fun.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Yea back in the early days of SmartSDR I used to get on FreeDV and use it a lot with the built in Wave form and have used it off and on for about 8 or 9 years. The Flex's High Dynamic Range make it well suited for FreeDV.

It was a sad day when they removed support for the API and the MODE selection in SmartSDR for FreeDV and D-Star.

Anyway maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel and it will come back now that FreeDV got a infusion of the Grant and we can have it back. That would be a good day.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

I had an old version still on my puter so when I saw the article I grabbed the latest version. Now to get it configured correctly to work. With the settings below I can see the waterfall but hear nothing, assuming that is because there is no FreeDV signal to decode. As per transmitting, I connected Heil headset for microphone into the desktop mic input and confirmed it's working fine, but I don't see any levels in the Frm Mic display when using PTT to transmit. The DAX is on in SmartSDR and I see the digital transmission. For testing, when I switch the input from microphone to computer to the DAX MIC Audio and turn off the DAX button in SmartSDR I do see the proper audio waveforms in the Frm Mic display. So I'm scratching my head why the FreeDV software doesn't pass the Realtek microphone through.

Audio Config Receive

Input To computer from Radio ---> DAX Audio RX 3

Output from Computer To Speaker/Headphones ---> Speakers (Realtek High Defintion)

Audio Config Transmit

Input from Microphone to Computer ---> Microphone (Realtek High Definition)

Output from Computer to Radio ---> DAX Audio TX (FLexRadio Systems)

PTT config: PTT Ports use serial port PPT check, use DTR and DTR +V check, this is the only combination that would make PTT function proper.

• chris1165
    chris1165 Member ✭✭

I tried this a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. After reading the article yesterday, I decided to give it another shot and was quite pleased with the results. They have made some nice improvements. Last night I was on 10M and talked to a guy in Houston for nearly 30 minutes w/ 50W on my end and his. I'm using a G5RV. The quality I must say, was acceptable to me. Quite fun.

73 de N3MLB

• Dan KB6NU
    Dan KB6NU Member ✭✭

I'm the guy who wrote this press release. :) I am the Communications Manager for ARDC. I also own a Flex 6400.

I'll point Mooneer, K6AQ, who's on the FreeDV project team to this item. It would really be nice if someone could hook him up with someone who's responsible for developing this waveform. Flex could really get a step up on the competition if it would support FreeDV more natively.

• Hi all, this is Mooneer K6AQ. Thanks to Dan KB6NU for pointing me to this thread :)

> @"Mike VE3CKO" said:
    > I had an old version still on my puter so when I saw the article I grabbed the latest version. Now to get it configured correctly to work. With the settings below I can see the waterfall but hear nothing, assuming that is because there is no FreeDV signal to decode. As per transmitting, I connected Heil headset for microphone into the desktop mic input and confirmed it's working fine, but I don't see any levels in the Frm Mic display when using PTT to transmit. The DAX is on in SmartSDR and I see the digital transmission. For testing, when I switch the input from microphone to computer to the DAX MIC Audio and turn off the DAX button in SmartSDR I do see the proper audio waveforms in the Frm Mic display. So I'm scratching my head why the FreeDV software doesn't pass the Realtek microphone through.
    > Audio Config Receive
    > Input To computer from Radio ---> DAX Audio RX 3
    > Output from Computer To Speaker/Headphones ---> Speakers (Realtek High Defintion)
    >
    > Audio Config Transmit
    > Input from Microphone to Computer ---> Microphone (Realtek High Definition)
    > Output from Computer to Radio ---> DAX Audio TX (FLexRadio Systems)
    >

Something easy to check would be whether Windows has given the FreeDV application permission to access the microphone. More information can be found https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-on-app-permissions-for-your-microphone-in-windows-10-94991183-f69d-b4cf-4679-c98ca45f577a. This sounds like it's the case if your microphone works with SmartSDR, but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

You can also try the "Windows Sound Mixer" device instead of the Realtek one to see if that helps. Depending on your Windows mixer settings, both should go to the same place.

> PTT config: PTT Ports use serial port PPT check, use DTR and DTR +V check, this is the only combination that would make PTT function proper.

On recent versions of FreeDV, you should be able to use Hamlib with Flex radios (either with "FlexRadio 6xxx" or "Kenwood TS-2000" for "Rig Model"). No need to use serial port PTT.

BTW if you're using SmartSDR for Mac, you can specify "localhost:5001" or similar for the Hamlib configuration instead of COMx and it'll work the same way.

> @"Dan KB6NU" said:
    > It would really be nice if someone could hook him up with someone who's responsible for developing this waveform. Flex could really get a step up on the competition if it would support FreeDV more natively.

There are engineering challenges to work through to make this happen for sure. The grant should definitely open up opportunities to make progress there.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Not the Problem with your Audio but here is my PTT settings that uses TCP CAT control instead of a CAT port.

My TX Audio is a bit low and there is not a MIC boost on the SURE MIC driver I can enable so I'll have to find a XLR Mic Preamp or a higher gain MIC

Bret

WX7Y

• K5WH
    K5WH Member ✭✭

Mike, like Mooneer mentioned and the example that Bret posted, you can use either hostname:port or Kenwood TS-2000 as I do for PTT, and match the SDRcat port to the slice you use, and be sure to check the box for HAMLIB, instead of the PTT port that your example shows.

That should get it going for you on PTT.

If that doesn't work successfully, please feel free to contact me at walterh@k5wh.net or join us on the FreeDV QSO finder at http://qso.freedv.org, and I would be happy to work with you to help get this going.

all the best,

Walter/K5WH, also from the FreeDV Project Team

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for the PTT hostname:port tip, that works as should. I confirmed FreeDV is among desktop apps allowed to use the microphone and it is switched on. Did a computer reboot to be sure and still same thing, odd the mic input works in other apps.

I installed FreeDV on a laptop and went smooth, working. Just now need more activity. With my bad hearing I find other digital voice modes very difficult to understand words, perhaps with continuing improvement audio quality will be better.

Here is my vote to get a working FreeDV waveform back in the 6000 series and to the bragging rights that will follow.

• You can also try a Bluetooth or other USB headset and see if that makes any difference, but glad you got it working on your laptop at least!

BTW for those interested, the monthly Activity Day is this weekend (Saturday and Sunday, 3/18-19) and every third weekend of the month thereafter. It's a great opportunity to chat with other FreeDV users and test your setup :)
  • N1AI
    N1AI Member ✭✭
    > It was a sad day when they removed support for the API and the MODE selection in SmartSDR for FreeDV and D-Star.

Today was that sad day for me, I tried to install the FDV waveform and got burned. https://www.flexradio.com/documentation/freedv-waveform-how-to-guide-pdf/ is still out on the web site, and all it says "For SmartSDR v1.6.17 and greater". I followed the steps, everything worked till I was told to set MODE to FDV. Joke's on me, I guess.

Regards,
    Dave, N1AI
  • N1AI
    N1AI Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    BTW, I am having the same problems as mentioned in another thread ( https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/8027671/freedv-and-smartsdr ), when I select PTT I am hearing the transmitted digital waveform being played back towards the speakers (in my case, headphones in the speaker jack on the PC's front panel). I do not have MON selected in SmartSDR. I know the digital carrier is also being sent to the radio because K5WH was able to copy me from time to time when my signal was strong enough. I guessed it might be RFI so I tried a plugin USB "sound card" dongle, and nothing changed. These are Heil headphones that haven't had RFI issues in other settings so I doubt it's that. Any hints? Probably something simple, I am new to this PC and this software.

Regards,
    Dave, N1AI
  • > @N1AI said:
    > BTW, I am having the same problems as mentioned in another thread ( https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/8027671/freedv-and-smartsdr ), when I select PTT I am hearing the transmitted digital waveform being played back towards the speakers (in my case, headphones in the speaker jack on the PC's front panel). I do not have MON selected in SmartSDR. I know the digital carrier is also being sent to the radio because K5WH was able to copy me from time to time when my signal was strong enough. I guessed it might be RFI so I tried a plugin USB "sound card" dongle, and nothing changed. These are Heil headphones that haven't had RFI issues in other settings so I doubt it's that. Any hints? Probably something simple, I am new to this PC and this software.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dave, N1AI

Hi all,

I went ahead and posted in the linked thread some of the configuration settings I use on the 6300 that I have here. Hopefully that helps people set up the application! If you're still having problems we can investigate further.

Thanks,

-Mooneer K6AQ
  • Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I have tried the same thing Dave N1Al described in his first post with the same result. I recently checked again with both v3.4 versions and it still doesn't work. I exchanged an email with Flex's Annaliese McDermond early last year about the whole subject of FR/SSDR's ability to utilize waveforms like FDV intrinsically. Steve Hicks has been claiming it has this functioning capability in interviews over the last couple of years but it actually doesn't. There's a "File>Waveforms ..." option in the menu but it hasn't worked for years. Annaliese said she's interested in this capability and intended to work on it. It would be interesting to see if she has been doing so and what her status is at this point ?

Russ KR6W

• N1AI
    N1AI Member ✭✭
    @"Russ Ravella" -- In my case I can install the waveform and it shows up in the waveform manager, but what I can't do is set the MODE to FDV because FDV does not show up in the SmartSDR mode list.

@themindiswatching -- Thanks! As per the other thread, it looks very likely that I'm dealing with old fashioned RFI entering the PC's audio chain, not a settings issue.
  • Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭

Hi N1AI,

Yeah, exactly. The waveform shows up in "file>Waveforms..." (the "waveform manager") and it acts like it installs but it actually doesn't because it doesn't appear as a mode. It used to do that, long long ago, but hasn't for ages. And still doesn't.

As I mentioned, I asked Annaliese about it and she said she was interested in working on it in the near term. Based on events over the last several years It's easy to believe she's been side tracked to other things but I hope she is actually working on it. It's been an advertised capability that hasn't actually worked for a long, long time.

Russ KR6W

• N1AI
    N1AI Member ✭✭

Thanks for the info. I'm now even more convinced I'm dealing with RFI from the FlexRadio getting into the PC so I too would welcome being able to use FDV without having to use the PC.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.