Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Q5 Signals Multi Band Transverter

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Thanks to Corey at Q5 for getting me this transverter quickly. It was so well packed and an amazing piece of work.

This is a 5 band transverter in a single box that works so well with any Flex 6000 series radio. If you are ordering one, you want these settings. If you want Split IF, you can have that as well, but I was good with common IF.

If you want it for 440 FM, give him a call to discuss your options since you will want about 10Mhz band spread. The Flex transverter port can handle that, but there are transverse limitations.

The transverter also makes use of the USB port on the back of the radio to handle automatic band changing. Cable included all ready to go.

Now, I can be on 1.8Mhz all the way to 1296Mhz with a neet and tidy station. You can even hide this in another room or close to the antennas making it XYL friendly.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hal Massey
    Hal Massey Member ✭✭

That looks sweet. Congratulations on your new arrival.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

DC to Daylight!! Very cool Mike!

• Dan Moore
    Dan Moore Member ✭✭

Is there a single antenna that works on all these bands ?

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

Either a Create Designs CLP5130 Log Periodic or various Discone antennas.

Bill AB7AA

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

An all band antenna could be made to work, but after spending over $2,000 for the transverter (plus whatever you have in Flex gear), a compromise antenna seems like a waste.

Having said that, a discone or something to give a quick omnidirectional view of band activity might not be a bad idea...

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

Q: "Is there a single antenna that works on all these bands ?"

Well, yes... Discones and Log Periodics.

But, "Is there a single antenna that works WELL on all these bands?"

Probably not....but single-band long yagis or quads are available that out-perform any multi-band antenna on these bands.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

A log periodic is an antenna that doesn’t work very well over a broad range of frequencies.

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

Well......a LP is better than a discone. LOL.

However, my Tennadyne T-11 LP performed somewhere between a 2 element and 3 element yagi, on all bands, 20-6 Meters with pretty good F/B ratio. (I agree, 3 elements on 10 or 6 is not a high-performance antenna.)

It held its own pretty well against my buddy's TH11DXX on 20 and 18 Meters, but on 10 he had 5 elements and waxed my tail! (Besides, he was at 60 ft. and I was only at 38 ft.)

If a T-28 or something like that was the ONLY VHF/UHF antenna I could put up, I might get one, but it is so easy to get higher gain stuff on VHF/UHF it seems a waste.

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

Each one's choice of LPDA or high gain Yagi depends on their use. I have both and find that much of the time the LPDA is the better performer because the long boomers are much too directional. If communications are required for DX stations in a narrow direction, obviously the Yagi is best. On local nets some stations are too weak to be worked by them and the LPDA performs better. It is interesting to view both antennas on separate Flex panadapters (2x 6700's) and see most signals (obviously from different directions) stronger on the LPDA.

Bill AB7AA

• ambroinaz
    ambroinaz Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    I didnt realize that Cory provides that USB/Serial cable for band switching! What did you have to do on the Flex side to get that working for auto-band switching

Andy K7AMB
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Ideally single band long boom yagi's for each of these 5 bands would be great, assuming you have the tower and mast real estate.

KF4HR

• Mike-VA3MW

There are many Log Periodic 144-1296 Beams available. I have the one from Wimo.

They give you pretty good performance though.

• Paul Christy
    Paul Christy Member ✭✭

I have a problem with this tranverter that's been present ever since I bought it. I think Corey doesn't think it`s him and I agree. When I go to 144 and transmit, the repeater doesn`t hear me. Then I switch to 440, but don`t transmit or do anything. Then I switch back to 144 and it works. Any one else notice this? Seems like the TX1 line doesn`t work the first time around.

• Mike-VA3MW

Can you post screen shots of SmartSDR while you are trying to do this. Often, we see that the offset is set incorrectly.

We want to see the shot when it isn't working and a shot of it when it is working.

• dale0131
    dale0131 Member ✭✭
    I've been looking at this transverter. It's pricey until you start looking at the alternatives. So, questions:
    1. Can it easily be used for satellite work?
    2. I assume a USB parallel cable can seamlessly switch between transverters with the proper application of magic on the Flex side.
    3. How much of 70cm and 23cm do you get?
  • Mike-VA3MW

This is by far the best transverter out there. Great performance numbers. Well built and has the cleanest RF out. You do get what you pay for.

1. Sort of. It does not run Full Duplex, so you need some other receiver path. Personally, I use a VHF and a UHF transverter at the same time.
    2. Yes, thanks the the USB to Bit Map switching.
    3. Ask Q5 signals for the operation bandwidth. UHF is a bit tougher since it requires up to 20Mhz of bandwidth.

• Doug Allen
    Doug Allen Member ✭✭

I've been using the Five Bander, S/N 115, for well over a year with five separate yagis on a 66' tower and above tree line on all the bands. It interfaces easily with my FLEX 6500. From my hilltop here in northwestern South Carolina, I've worked over 700 miles to New England and Ontario with it on 144, 222, and 432. It's very stable, and I've even worked FT-8 successfully on 1296. Great performance and great assistance by Corey at Q-Five.

Doug K4LY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.