Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Intermittent Vox with 6500 and 2.8.1

Options
Is anybody else having trouble with the vox dropping out intermittently? I use vox constantly when I am net control every morning. I will be talking and it will quit in mid-sentence. I let my voice drop for a second and it comes back or sometimes I have to toggle the vox switch on and off. Using a 6500 with 2.8.1 software. Is this being addressed?

Best Answers

• Martin_G4ENZ
    Martin_G4ENZ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have the same symptom with a 6400 and v3.3.33, I am hoping for a fix in the next release of SmartSDR.

73 Martin

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Richard, you can search VOX dropping issue in that forum. It is a bug and reported many times. Unfortunately it is not fixed yet.

KN7K

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

It should be fixed in the next release.

• Chuck
    Chuck Member ✭✭
    Options

Has anyone found any way around this. I really don't want to spend this weekend screaming into the maxed out VOX mic to transmit. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

6700, v3.3.33

• Richard W2FBS
    Options
    Fixed in the next release! Do you not beta-test all features before putting out a new release? Vox is important to me, a net control, and I am sure many others. It is not a feature used by the few, which is what you seem to introduce every time. I don't need multi-operator ability nor do I need to run my rig remotely. What I do need is a transceiver that has features that work, all the time, not some of the time. I am very close to going back to Kenwood.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi Richard

Yes, we do a lot of Q/A testing with a large group of hams with a variety of different stations, hardware and operating preferences.

In the case of VOX, we knew it existed (you can call this the symptom), but we were never able to recreate it in a Lab environment with the right tools to actually capture the root cause.

Through some hard work by various operators, we were able to recreate the problem in a controlled environment and debug the problem to the root cause and then fix it.

In the software world, it can be hard to fix something if development engineers are not able to recreate the failure 100% of the time. It can be frustrating to both the end user and the engineering team.

On the last update I received, the plan is to release the vox fix in 3.4, and it will be bundled with many other items. All of which have to pass a Q/A process.

Thanks for your patience. 73

• Charlie N5WE
    Charlie N5WE Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @"Richard W2FBS" said:
    > Is anybody else having trouble with the vox dropping out intermittently? I use vox constantly when I am net control every morning. I will be talking and it will quit in mid-sentence. I let my voice drop for a second and it comes back or sometimes I have to toggle the vox switch on and off. Using a 6500 with 2.8.1 software. Is this being addressed?

Not so much drop outs, but occasionally when it does drop (normally or otherwise), its like an anti-vox kicks in and unless you're dead quiet in the background, it won't rekey the radio. You have to pause (including RX audio) for at least a full 1-2 seconds, then when you begin to speak again it will key the rig. You can start a count into the mic and without that pause, the rig won't rekey.
  • Richard W2FBS
    Options

Well, After promises to fix this vox dropout in the last 3 new versions, it has not been done. For those of us who are net controls and use vox all the time, it is a big problem.