Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Network access to radio

Doug
Doug Member ✭✭

I have a 6400 and SPE Expert 1.5k that, while tethered to a computer sitting next to them, works perfectly using SmartSDR and SPEs software. The reason for moving to the Flex was to be able to move around between 4 buildings at my QTH and be able to take the "shack" with me. I have no internet available at the QTH so this is LOCAL network access only.

I now that the tower up and all the feedlines for antennas coming to the "radio building" and am finding I can not do what I want to do and need to see if it is me or hardware limitations.

1. The SmartSDR software still works fine. I can operate the basic radio.
  2. FRStack works fine. (as do a number of other logging programs and such that I have been playing with).
  3. I have lost the ability to to send morse code because I can't plug into the back of the radio anymore. I can use CWT, which, although it works, I don't like. I prefer straight key.
  4. All control of the Expert amp has been lost. It is talking fine to the Flex for band, etc. but there does not seem to be an interface to control anything else. How is this amp controlled remotely? (On, Standby, Power level, etc)

If I can't get full "remote" just on a local network how on earth is it being done at a truly remote site?

What am I missing?

Why can't the Flex control the amp since it already is talking to it?

On the morse, I think the mistake is thinking about it as a digital signal (key up/key down) rather than an analog stream that would not be bothered by latency, but that's MHO.

Thanks

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Doug, MIke, VA3MW has some good videos on YouTube about remoting your rig. If you haven't already, I recommend giving them a look. One thing that he recommends is having a computer at the radio site. With that, you can run the software for the amp and access it remotely using TeamViewer or some other remote PC software.

There is a Groups.io forum that deals with remote CW:

I built their little interface, and it works great, especially if there are no Internet delays involved. If you are up for a more involved project, the TeensyMaestro has the ability to key CW locally or remotely (see my QRZ.com page for more info and links). And, if you can get one, the Flex Maestro does remote CW keying.

One question... Are your 4 locations all on the same LAN segment? If so, all of this becomes much easier.

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭

Hi,

there are different solutions to get the keyers signal into the radio , made with arduino boards. Just look araound the internet for such.

For contesting we key with the logger thru a simple USB-RS232 interface , remoting a PC close to radio.

The SPE needs some addon like :

GitHub - HB9RYZ/HB9RYZ-SPE-Expert-Amplifier-Remote-Control-Addon: SPE-Expert-Amplifier-Remote-Control-Addon

or others for remoting.

The perfect remote amp would be a RFKIT amp, which has a GUI that can be accessed via VNC

Harry

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Moving to the remote category.

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

Len,

Thanks for the reply.

As I mentioned, I do not have internet at the site so all the youtube videos are of no help unless I drive 5 miles and use my phone suction cupped to my eyeball. (there is no internet to be had at site, including satellite)

That said, I will try to locate and watch VA3MW's.

I have a Maestro, and yes I have used it for CW... and logged using pencil and paper. But it's just a "radio" and it's startup time is so long that I can turn on my KX3 and make a contact before the Maestro is ready. I would also have to drag a laptop around with it to be a complete "shack". At the same time, I was familiar with the TeensyMaestro.

The local net is a /16 network that functions as a "mini-internet" in that I have 2 servers running basically as ISP servers but without the internet. (I recently retired from 45 years of computer development, programming, support, IT, ISP, blah, blah, blah..... so I still have some toys left over from those businesses. Hence the "mini-internet".) Everything is hardwired between buildings in the "utility conduits" I buried a few years ago. Very handy for fiber, wire, air lines, coax, etc. Water and Electric run along side.

BTW, my current workaround for keying is using one of the extra pairs of wires and plugging it into the back of the radio. This gives me a keying jack in each building, but only at that jacks location. Can't wander around or sit on the porch.

I had forgotten about the RemoteKeyerINterface. I already have the serial port set up for PTT and was meaning to look into expanding it to handle the key. Thanks for the reminder on that.

OK, time to head for home. (can only sit in the car on the computer for so long)

Thanks again

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

Harry,

Thanks for the suggestion on the FHNW Remote PA Pi solution.

It might be the answer that will work for me. (I had begun experimenting with a pi3 to make a web accessible control panel for a lot of things so this concept is not unfamiliar.)

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Doug; I gather this is not really remote (via internet). how do you interconnect the various buildings? Is this a hardwired local lan, or is WiFi being used? A network drawing might help.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

The SPE amp can be controlled and monitored remotely via Node Red.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.