Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New TURF file for Canadian Hams?

I know other Canadian hams probably got notified by RAC, but the Canadian Federal Radio Regulator, ISED, just updated their regulations to include expanded access to a number of bands, including 60m and 630m.

"On July 28, 2022, Innovation Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) released an update to a very important document for Canadian Radio Amateurs: “RBR-4 – Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service”.

The document specifies what frequencies we may operate on and with what bandwidths.

There are two major new additions to our spectrum:

• 472 to 479 kHz, also known as 630 metres: on this new band, we are allowed to run a maximum of five watts EIRP, using emissions with a maximum bandwidth of 1 kHz.
  • 5351.5 to 5366.5 kHz in the 60 metre band: this is a new worldwide allocation. Canadian Amateurs are allowed to run a maximum of 100 watts ERP, using emissions with a maximum bandwidth of 2.8 kHz."

Here's the link to the official doc -- https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10650.html

So... new TURF file for Canadian hams???? :-)

Comments

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

It’s been a long time coming, about 2 to 3 years since it was approved. We were just waiting on the new RBR-4 publication. And it’s finally out. Now we need our radios to allow us to use the 5MHz allocation :-)

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Engineering is aware of the new Turf requirement and they are evaluating it. We saw it when it was released.

472Khz is already available on the XVTR port at +10dbm. I doubt the power amp is capable of working on 472khz, however, if is, we will let you know.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Hi Mike... just checking in... any update?

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Hi Didier... I've responded to this back in the original thread.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Just 'pinging' this to bring it back up to the top of the list.

Mike -- any update on getting a new TURF file for Canadian Hams for the expanded 60m band????

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

Me plus one :-)

• VA7BNB_Brent
    VA7BNB_Brent Member ✭✭

Adding my voice.

Brent VA7BNB

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Just an update for the Canadian Flex Users -- An updated TURF file which includes the 60m band allocation is available.

You'll need to submit a Help Desk Ticket, and you need to upgrade to 2.9.1 or the 3.x equivalent.

But it works just fine!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.