Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mac side not working

I have the whole shebang so to speak. SSDR for Windows and Mac, DogPark for Mac, and a Maestro.

My SSDR for Mac is not working. I get a : "The connection can not be established (Timeout)".

DogPark will start, but if I try to do anything, it will hang.

Mac is hardwired to the network.

SSDR on the Windows side works perfectly it's on WiFi

Maestro works perfectly - also on Wifi.

Pinging the Radio from my Mac gives around 200 to 400 ms

Pinging the radio from my windows gives an average of 1 ms

Well there's your problem!

The Mac in wireless mode gives me around 5 ms.

Wireshark shows plenty of udp packets coming in as "data" meaning it doesn't know what to do with them, the radio looks the same as some bad guys, even though it isn't. I wish that we could get the radio to ID itself better.

I've reset the radio, rebooted the router, and before I reset the router I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.

Comments

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

Update - by running wireless, Dogpark works okay, but Not SSDR. Something still seems askew between the radio and the Mac though.

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

Turns out that the problem was invoked by clicking Auto connect on the connect to radio window. Autoconnect in this case means the software looks for the IP address last used, and if it doesn't find it, gives up. And my local network assigns the IP, and it can change. So I turned autoconnect off, and the software went out to look for an appropriate radio, found it and works fine now. All the other stuff was just red herrings - although I did replace an ethernet cable and sped my Mac ping and internet access up FB

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

The AutoConnect connects to the last radio you used. It will do this even if the IP address changes as the AutoConnect looks for the radio by serial number. Why your did that is very strange. Do you know what the 2 IP address were just so we can understand why it didn't work as designed?

You should be able to find a setting in your router to not change the IP addresses on DHCP renewal.

You can read more about it in Section 5 of the SmartSDR User Guide.

• Mike, apologies about not getting back to you sooner. Maybe the difference between the MacOS version and Windows SSDR?

When starting The Mac version, a windows is presented where you can manually click on the radio to connect or select an auto connect feature.

At that time, I had re-configured my local network, usually I just let the router assign ip addresses.

And yup, the Windows version connected right up, but the Mac version didn't. It does see the radio to connect, so I've been running with manual connect on the Mac side - I might set a hard ip address though when I get the chance. Thanks much.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Does this not work on the MAC?

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭

I may be wrong but I think on the Mac it looks at the IP address not the MAC address or Radio ID for the auto connect. I know I had a problem one time with an error with SmartSDR not wanting to start and I had checked that box but my radio had a new ip address so it would fail trying to find it. Although I typically have DHCP reservations I switched my subnet in my router so it had a new IP. Marcus had me to go and clear settings or something in the preferences.

Michael

• Mike-VA3MW

All connections to the radio are done via the IP address. Nothing is done via a MAC address connection (wrong communications layer).

We have a number of videos on the web site that discuss the LAN communications.

• John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭

I'm a new user of the Mac SSDR and can't get the app to connect when using a hotspot on my 4G cellphone. I get a timeout message

As per the discussion above I've tried not having the auto-connect not ticked and then my Flex doesn't appear on the list of available radios.

My Maestro connects OK via the same 4G hotspot so it looks as if SmartLink and the port forwarding is working correctly

Any suggestions?

73 John, G3WKL

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭

If you are trying to connect with your Mac connected to the 4G hotspot you would need to log into and use SmartLink. I see in your first screenshot you have it set to have SmartLink not enabled. Enable that and login and see if your radio appears.

73 Michael, AA5SH

• John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭

Thanks for spotting that - the option must have got unticked by mistake.

I've found that I can connect to my radio via my hotspot, but only via Preferences/Communication and selecting my radio (annotated as via SmartLink), and then selecting 'connect' (with the 'auto connect' option unticked).

Trying the 'connect' button on the Panadapter window doesn't seem to start SmartLink and the request times out - this is the way that I connect whilst the MacBook Air in on the LAN.

At least there is a way to get it to remotely connect, but I feel that my config still isn't quite right!

Great bit of software - good level of integration between the various elements and nice to be able to connect a key into the USB port.

73 John, G3WKL