Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Node-Red Based Flex Microphone Level Meter and Level Gain Adjust

Options
Alan
Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Using Node-Red, I built an integrated Flex Microphone Level Meter and Level Gain Adjustment. Details and downloads can be found on the Ham Radio Group IO site:

Here is a screenshot of a good Microphone level. The header background is green, and the value is the peak level selected. Peak is the significant microphone level in the last two seconds. You can also set the instant level or both. The "red tick" mark is peak level, and the bar graph is instant level.

Here the microphone level exceeds the high alarm, using peak value as the input:

The Flex Microphone Gain can be adjusted from the meter by sliding the "Black Tick." This makes it easy to adjust Flex Microphone gain while watching your actual microphone level. The slider is called from 0% to 100%, same as on Smart SDR:

If you are using a digital mode as the Flex Radio audio input, when TX DAX is "on," the meter background will be yellow. Here is a screenshot of me transmitting from WSJT-X:

Alan. WA9WUD

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

That is awesome!

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I added a StreamDeck Microphone Level Meter to the Microphone Level Flow.

The meter uses the same inputs (peak/level) as selected in the Dashboard meter.

The meter includes a "tick" mark for the peak level indication.

The background colors change corresponding to the Microphone Level Alarms set in the environmental variables.

Alan. WA9WUD

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Alan,

If a person is not using the internal EQ then it is OK to run input level right up to, but not exceeding zero.

If the internal EQ is in use and sliders are set above zero then input level needs to be reduced as EQ stage adds gain when any EQ slider is above zero. It is hard to tell exact amount of gain so keeping input level below -10 is advisable.

There is no internal meter after the EQ, but before the limiter stage in DSP.

Nice thing about your flow is the point where the buttons change color can be adjusted by the OP in Node Red configuration to fit their need.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

One enhancement for StreamDeck I would like to see is -10 mark be moved left and add a zero mark on right side. I use external audio gear so I run my input right up to zero but not going above. I have a level meter in Node Red as well as a zero peak LED in Node Red. If the audio ever peaks higher than zero the led goes from green to red.

Dave wo2x

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The user can easily adjust the Microphone Levels in the Flow's Environmental Variables section:

Alan. WA9WUD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.