Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

N1MM Remote CW Sidetone - one solution

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I wanted to thank WD8KNC, George, for this cool CW solution.

His 'sidetone' program is installed on the PC running N1MM and SmartSDR CAT to product a local CW sidetone when N1MM is sending CW to the radio via the SmartSDR CAT WinKeyer emulator.

You can find the software on his webpage here: http://ghafler.com/download.html?returnurl=wd8knc.html&vid=X324810 and scroll down the page.

The current version looks a bit different.

This is the overview of how it looks if you think like a WinKeyer command:

You will also need to find a VSP Pair (Virtual Serial Port) program. There are many such as com0com, etc. Others may share what they use and what works for them.

However, it looks like this in Windows Control Panel. Your numbers (COM29 / COM30) may be different numbers and make sure the numbers do not conflict with any other number. All numbers have to be unique.

This is my setup as part of my example:

This means you can send data to COM29 and it will come out on COM30.

For N1MM, we want to setup the CW / WinKeyer port to COM29:

On George's software, the Virtual port is the 'exit' port from the VSP pair. In this case 30. "Side Tone" hears the command sent by N1MM, produces the CW Audio and then sends it on to the radio via SmartSDR CAT.

WinKey port is the same as the SmartSDR WinKeyer port you created at some point.

Once, that is done (and you see 2 green 'LEDs' on the software, test your solution by sending CW from N1MM and see if it all works as you want it to.

There is no reason why George's program should not work with other logging programs as well that uses a WinKeyer command set.

Video of it in use.

Tagged:

Comments

• g0mfr
    g0mfr Member ✭✭
    Thanks George and Mike this works great and was just what I was looking for for contesting using just my laptop remotely! Has anyone got this working with com0com or another free VSP software? I could only get it to work with the "Electronics Team" VSP and I'm not sure what's different about that compared to other VSP software.
    Thanks again
    73 Gareth G0MFR
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I think I had it working with Com0Com.

Here I have a pair called 33 and 34.

• g0mfr
    g0mfr Member ✭✭
    Interesting! Thanks, I'll have another play.

Worked a treat in the CWOps contest tonight :)
  • N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭

One more option is WKFlex 2.0 which is now fully integrated with N1MM.

73, Max

• AA0Z
    AA0Z Member ✭✭

I made a quick video on how to get this up and running. It's a neat program if you just run from your keyboard via N1MM or other program that does WinKey emulation.

Kyle

AA0Z

• DenS
    DenS Member ✭✭
    Hi,
    I had Mike / George's Side Tone software solution working on a Windows 10 computer with com0com. But can not get Windows 11 to accept the virtual serial ports. com0com works but does not set up the serial pair.
    If you have this working, or have a solution for Windows 11 please post it here. I am monitoring.
    THANKS
    Den W2DEN

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.