Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Verifying the SD-card status prior to upgrade?

Is there a way to verity that the SD-card will be OK for the new 3.3.29 upgrade? Or do I just buy a lottery ticket and keep fingers x-ed? Did all older radios suffer from the processor defect, creating the SD disaster? I'm still on the original card BTW.

Currently stuck at 2.4.10, so it is a major job to get both my old 6500 and my Maestro A up to date. The CW "fixes" makes me really eager to shell out $250 (inc tax 🤣 )but the risk of beeing left out of my radio for a few weeks makes me hesitate.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

No, there isn't.

• W2JV_
    W2JV_ Member ✭✭

Mike might be able to verify my observation, from what I've read it appears that the 6400's with the original SD card suffered the most failures?

W2JV Peter

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

Guess I somehow expected the answer from MIke... but still would like to know if all radios are affected or if it do differ between models or age, and if it is tied to specific f/w versions.....

Beeing across the pond, it is not just a matter of a day or two, rather weeks, to get a replacement, hence my questions.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

According to Steve, N5AC "...we have encountered more of these than originally expected, predominantly in older radios that were subjected to the processor defect that was detected and fixed as mentioned above." (emphasis added by me).

The risk is not zero for any radio, but looks higher in the older ones. I think it is less about the model number than the age of the radio.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Well, I didn’t see anything in the release notes that I need, so not updating. Not broke, don’t fix.

• KD0RC

Another way to look at that is to choose when to risk an upgrade vs. a radio failure when you can least afford it.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

I wonder if the “AutoSave Profile” feature that writes out every small change could be a contributor to wearing out the SD Cards?

Maybe just coincidental but the SD card problems seemed to increase after that was added. 

I’m still on V2.4.10 of SSDR which is the last good version that did not have that feature.  (Waiting for the profile AutoSave ON/OFF switch feature)

Currently it’s been 10 years on my 6700 with the original SD card.

I’m not interested in any of the V3.x features and don’t plan on doing any updates until maybe some new features (and the Autosave ON/OFF switch ) come out in V4.x.

73…Al / NN4ZZ

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

Summing up, I probably sit tight in the boat and stick to 2.4.10 at the moment. No need to upgrade, so I'll wait and see what will come out of this.

Given the scanty information from Flex, I can only guess what the root cause is, which and how it will affect me.

Of course I could do all sorts of things (not approved by Flex) to reduce the down-time if I was one of the unlucky ones, but it might be a good advice to wait a few more weeks :) Thanks for all input, both posts and PM's

73 Lasse SM5GLC

• KD0RC

Hi Lasse, Mike, Va3MW posted an update from Steve, N5AC that detailed the root cause pretty well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.