Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Don't do what I did...

KD0RC
KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I had some minor problems upgrading my 6400 from 3.2.39 to 3.3.29. I was ultimately able to get it to load, but I realized that I left an active session of 3.2.39 running when I did the upgrade (this is far from my first upgrade, I have no idea why I did that...).

To test my theory as to the cause of the problem, I downgraded to 3.2.39, then shut down SmartSDR and upgraded to 3.3.29. Absolutely no problems - it upgraded perfectly. So don't do what I did... Make sure that SmartSDR is shut down before upgrading. @Dan Quigley, N7HQ - Another data point Dan...

While I had the older version running, I compared audio from an analog rig to my Flex. The latency was what I have come to expect - very apparent, but not show-stopping. After upgrading I compared again, and now I get latency that sounds more like an echo in a big room instead of the echo in a stadium. It is VERY much improved. ALE and VARA operators should give this version a try to see if the TX turnaround time improvement makes a difference.

Comments

• W2JV_
    W2JV_ Member ✭✭

Len, As usual good and helpful comments! I'm curious are you using the original SD card that the radio came with? I read that some issues with upgrading may be related to having the original SD card, what do you think? Thank you.

W2JV Peter

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Thanks Peter, I appreciate it. Yes, I have the original SD card. I got the radio with 3.1.8 and did all the updates just as soon as they came out.

I suppose that it is possible that a bad SD card could cause issues, but I doubt that it would be a common occurrence.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

From reading this forum and the one on Facebook, the SD card failure is quite widespread. There are a lot of people experiencing failures rendering their radios unusable. And on top of that, the update has caused problems for people that use the internal ATU. Fortunately, I don't use the internal ATU. I do use a manual external tuner.

I hope Flex Radio learns something from this fiasco.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Trucker

There is a bit more to come on the SD card issue. What I can say is that it doesn't affect all radios, but more of those are older 63,65's and 6700's (but not 100% limited to).

I can't mention the entire radio install base number, but it is a small (but vocal) percentage that is impacted. It does 'read' worse than it is (still, it doesn't help if you are impacted). We are jumping on this and people are working overtime to limit the downtime for those impacted.

Thanks for understanding.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike. I am glad to know the problem is not that widespread. Hopefully, that's a sign that most user's SD cards have been replaced already.

Of the several forums I participate in, there are a large number of people reporting issues with the update. It certainly pulled a lot of people out of the woodwork! How that number compares to the company's user base, is obviously unknowable since those numbers are not shared. ( and I understand why that isn't shared) I am glad Flex Radio is attacking the problem quickly.

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

To give you a number, it is less than 0.1% of the install base. :)

• LB6B
    LB6B Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022

Just out of interest. What is the percentage of the installed base that has already upgraded?

I am also very curious to how long it will time for us among the 0.1% of the base to get the new card? Does FlexRadio have a line of supply for these cards so it is merely a question of copying software to them and shipping, or does it also involve a bigger logistics operation to fulfill the amounts and needs?

Last but not least. What are the chances of just distributing an image file to be able to make a microSD. A new "industry SLC" microSD with the same specs will cost me $10 here - and I belive anybody who has ever owned or installed a Raspberry pi have made their own bootable microSD by downloading and getting the files onto the SD by using standard and well known and tested tools....

You might find that the 0.1% community are among most loyal and interested users and customers, but also the ones who are particulaly able to do these simple steps. By providing this as an option, it would definately take the edge of your staff, overtime and logistics operation - and make customers happy by giving them an option to help "oneself" back on the air...

Meanwhile. I found the reference to John 3:16 on the motherboard close to the SD card. Not sure it helped, but probably didn't make it any worse either...

• Ron Koenig
    Ron Koenig Member ✭✭

0.1% ? From a casual count of bricked radios I have seen posted, that put's the # of flex radios in circulation at about 30,000. Very impressive. 🙈🙉🙊

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

I don’t think I have seen 300 bricked radios in this forum.

• Ron Koenig
    Ron Koenig Member ✭✭

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.