Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why would 6400 not transmit?

Here is what I noticed. I am transmitting CW with a brand new 6400 with latest software, for some reason, the MOX letters turn grey (disable) but button is still blue(ish) and no RF output.

Is this some kind of feature or do I have an issue?

Thanks Dave KB1WOD

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Dave, can you provide a screenshot of SmartSDR?

Also take a look at your TX Band Settings to be sure that you do not have PTT Inhibit set.

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭

I guess I should be clearer. It doesn't happen all the time. I'll be transmit and it sudden does this. I don't think I can take a screen shot.

• KD0RC

Oh, I see. Well, that could be RF getting in. You might try low power to see if it still happens. If not, you probably want to add some ferrites to the cables on the back of the radio.

If it happens even under low power, then I would suggest submitting a help desk ticket.

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭

My original ethernet cable had ferrites. I forgot to put them on the new one. I will try that. Thanks for suggesting it!!

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭

Well adding ferrites didn't work. I reduced the power to about 10 Watts and it still did it. Doesn't matter what band I am on. I also record my transmission from a online SDR radio and the transmission does stop when this occurs.

Very disappointing, this is my second 6400 in less then 2 months and both have issues. I am going to power cycle both the radio and computer to see if that helps.

• KD0RC

Hi Dave, power cycling may just work. If not, try a factory reset after exporting your profiles.

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭

Reset didn't seem to do anything. However, I am using Breakin keying with my delay set to 150. I have changed my delay to 300 and it doesn't appear to be happening at the moment.

I will try this for awhile to see if if solves my issue.

I don't like doing a factory reset because it erases all my ATU memory settings.

Fingers crossed 🤞

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

A factory reset will likely not solve your problem without understanding just why it is happening.

Please post a screen shot of your SmartSDR screen with it not working.

Windows has tools for you to do this. (snipping tool).

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭

Mike,

As you can see, the MOX is greyed out. Also there is no RF power output or SWR. Also the TX on the lower right is red indicating it is in transmit mode. I know there is no output because I record my transmission using a web based SDR radio.

It does not matter the band or the power level I use.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Not being a serious cow op, but there have been some comments on setting the pitch to 600 to get output. Not at the rig location so I can’t test.

• KD0RC

Hi Dave, What do you have your Max Power set to?

@John KB4DU - I have seen a lot of posts about 600 Hz sidetone. I think that means at least 600 Hz. Dave is at 750, so that should not be a problem. I also suspect that the 600 Hz thing is from an older version of the software. I am on 3.2.39 and can get output even if my sidetone is set to 100 Hz.

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭

Hi Len,

My max power is set to 90 Watts.

• KD0RC

OK, so that is probably not it. It may be time to submit a help desk ticket. I don't see anything amiss. Mike, VA3MW may spot something that I am missing...

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭

Mike VA3MW,

Anything else you can think of here or should I open a help desk ticket?

Thanks Dave KB1WOD

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Open a Help Desk ticket but post a picture of your TX Band Settings.

Settings then TX Band Settings.

Dave wo2x

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

What happens if you send CW with CWX as a test?

• DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭

Haven't tried that yet.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.