Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Vox SSB-CW

hi all

i have this problem with ssdr 2.6.2. not normal for me

Follow me: I often use the vox in ssb mode I don't use any circuit to close the PTT. Here's what happens: I'm in ssb mode on a certain freq. with vox mode active, if I change in CW mode the Vox key remains activated and when I speak alone in cw mode the radio goes into TX mode without power output. to block this inconvenience I have to return to SSB mode, deactivate the VOX and then return to CW mode.

does it happens to you too?

tnx, lou

Best Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

@IK8HCG

We have not heard from you since November 4, 2020 regarding this issue when Tim sent you some instructions. You did not reply after that.

If you are still experiencing the same problem, please open a new support ticket.

Also, based on what you said, I do not think you reset the radio correctly.

Perform a Comprehensive Cold Boot and Factory Reset of the radio

Please pay attention to the "wait times" that are part of the steps listed below. These are important to ensure the radio resets properly.

• Power off the radio by pressing and releasing the power button. Allow it to completely power down before continuing by waiting for the power LED to turn off (or amber if a GPSDO is installed). If pressing and releasing the power button does not shut down the radio, press and hold the power button until the radio shuts down.
    • Once the radio is powered off, wait for 2 minutes to allow for all processors to properly shut down.
    • Remove the power cable from the radio for at least 30 seconds and then reconnect it. It is important to remove the power cable from the radio and not just turn off the power supply. 
    • After reconnecting the DC power cable, wait for 2 minutes to allow for the internal PSoC processor to boot up completely before continuing.

For FLEX-6700 and FLEX-6500:

• Press and hold the OK button while pressing and releasing the Power button.
    • Release the OK button once the power LED turns white and allow the radio to continue booting normally.

For FLEX-6300, FLEX-6400(M), and FLEX-6600(M):

• Press and hold the Power button for approximately 5 seconds until the power button or power LED turns white. Release the power button and allow the radio to continue booting normally.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Have the same issue.

Reset does not help. will try to open ticket.

Radio 6600, ver 3.2.39

Answers

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭

hi tnx

i did rigth now the factory reset, pressing for 5 second the power button untill it became green (flex 6400)

northing happen

i show you pics after the factory reset

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Lou, I cannot recreate this situation with my Flex 6400 running 3.1.12. I can clearly see that the VOX is active in CW mode in your second picture, so it looks like a real problem. It is probably time to submit a help ticket so the Flex engineers can take a look at it.

Len, KD0RC

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭

. The strange think is that the radio in cw mode when i talk near the mic headset the flex goes in Tx with no power. While if i deactivate the vox in ssb mode and i ll be back in cw nothing happen all work.

In cw mode the vox icon is fated blue

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭

no other one answer me, i open help ticket. i reset flex and reloaded the software 2.6.2, nothing.

hope is a bug

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭
    the problem persists and it is very annoying, no help from the flex, I will continue to use the 5000a

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Mike—Would you kindly explain the necessity for removing the power cable during radio reset? I had always assumed that no current would flow through a power supply turned off, but this is evidently incorrect. Would appreciate your explanation. Thank you.

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

Neil,

Nothing magic :) Even if you switch off the power supply, there may be output voltage due to the filter capacitor in the power supply. As the radio still have some circuits beeing "on" even if shut down, removing the power cable will ensure ALL circuits in your radio is powered off.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

Lasse—Thanks, makes sense.

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2021

how to up load mp4 video here.

i load the new relaese 2.7 but the problem is not fixed for me

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭

Hello

I performed the reset as you described. everything ok, works, but as soon as I changed the frequency the problem recurred. i reset again, but as soon as i change freq. still the problem persists.

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

After upgrading to 2.7.3 I noticed the same thing, knocking on the desk would trig the transmitter through microphone even if the radio was set to CW! Then I realized I never made a "cold boot" after installing the s/w (how could I forget that). So I turned off my 6500 and then press and hold the OK button while pressing and releasing the Power button. Release the OK button once the power LED turns white and allow the radio to continue booting normally.

Once it started, the problem was gone.

I just checked, and knocking on mic does NOT activate the transmitter if set to CW.

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭

after 3 resets. here's what happens on my flex 6400:

the problem of the vox active in the CW mode must be disabled from the SSB mode, if it remains activated from the ssb mode when switching to CW mode the problem persists. therefore the deactivation is not automatic

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

Just make sure :) You have made both a reset and a cold boot, two separate steps?

Look at point 3: https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020078612-How-to-Completely-Reset-a-FLEX-6000

And if it still activates VOX through the mic when on CW I would open a help ticket ASAP !

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭

I followed the instructions of VA3MW Mike step by step. if you have active the Vox in ssb mode this does not deactivate if you switch to cw mode, you have to deactivate it from ssb mode to not have it active in cw

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭

problem solved thanks to Ken Wells NM9P

• KD0RC

Great news Lou! What was the solution that Ken gave you?

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭

a personally created mic profile was corrupted

• KD0RC

Ah, OK, good to know.

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭

hi

return to the vox problem active in cw mode. after having opened a ticket with the flex and had the direct intervention of NM9P which partially solved the problem for me. today I unintentionally found out where the problem occurs. I was creating a new mic profile and copying the parameters from the Default mode in the Mic profile window.

unintentionally I entered the Vox active in the Default mode and when I switched to my Mic profile called "David Clark" I activated the vox and immediately after switching to Cw mode the problem came back, only at that moment I remembered that in the Default mode I had entered the Vox.

I went back to Default profile and I deactivated the Vox. I went back to my mic profile David Clark I inserted the Vox in ssb and passed in Cw the vox no longer remains active. this problem persists with all existing mic profiles, in order not to make the problem happen, you must disable the Vox in the Mic profile Default section

lou

• KD0RC

Thanks for the update Lou!

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Sergey:

Great catch, path dependent bugs are very hard to duplicate.

Gayle K0FLY

• IK8HCG
    IK8HCG Member ✭✭

Reset does not help. will try to open ticket

Try to follow what i did, i'm running 2.7.6

in my case the problem was in the Default profile

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

I open ticket and Tim sent instructions to backup profiles and perform a cold boot.

I did not import profiles and will do a new ones later. But right now the VOX issue is gone when in CW mode.

Tim, Thanks for a quick response!

Sergey

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.