Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR + DynDNS in place of SmartLINK for remote operation?

Options
W4AFK Bruno
W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭

My remote Flex-6400 is in Florida while I am in San Diego. I am presently using SmartLINK and it is working fine.

I also use DynDNS to remotely operate another radio at the same site. It is connected via a pair of RemoteRig interfaces, and it is also working fine. I am also remotely managing a SPE Expert 1.3K FA amp and a rotator using RemoteRig's 1216 devices.

As the remote is on a dedicated cable modem, I am subject to Dynamic IP changes at the whim of the cable provider (Spectrum). So, I have been using DynDNS and haven't had any issues over at least three IP address changes done by Spectrum :-)

My question: If I setup my remote router to port forward ports TCP 4994 and UDP 4993 to the Flex, can I then just run SmartSDR and not have to worry about SmartLINK?

Local: Connect to "DynDNS address:port" --> Remote router is configured to port forward TCP 4994 and UDP 4993 to the Flex' LAN (Reserved IP address) matching ports.

Would this work?

What am I missing?

Would I be able to use SmartSDR from here to the radio as the link would be as if it was on the local LAN. If so, I would no longer need SmartLINK and rely on Flex' server for authentication

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@W4AFK Bruno

The short answer is no, at least on the Windows version of SmartSDR. I believe you can on the Mac version, but I have never tested it.

At this time, we will likely not make that change in the Windows version for a variety of business reasons.

If you need a Plan B in case there is a SmartLink issue, you may find that using SoftEther as a VPN will work very well.

A Smartlink connection uses less bandwidth than a LAN connection, even if the LAN is on a VPN.

SmartEther has been well discussed as one solution in the FlexRadio Community. There are many others as well, and I am sure many will comment.

I hope that this helps.

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Options

Yep ... it was just a thought after watching one of your videos.

It kind of made sense to me as I am using this type of setup to remotely manage the TS-480SAT w/RemoteRig interfaces. I was (wrongly) assuming that I would be able to do the same.

After all, the "Ethernet" connection is just a "long cable" connecting my computer to the radio. So, if I port-forwarded and made sure the router and firewall were configured properly, that it would work.

SmartLINK is working ... but as a curious techno-ham, I am always looking for "other ways" to do things. I will check SmartEther and other VPN solutions. I do have a NUC at the remote site as it lets me manage the Flex on the LAN side. I just prefer running the software over here. I will check to see if the NUC I have at the site is capable of reliably running SmartSDR as that would be my backup :-)

Thanks again.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.