Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cannot get radio to show

I cannot find my radio. I open the program and tap to connect,, then it says registering, ok then scanning with the result "nothing found" The flex works fine on my laptop.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Best Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

A couple of suggestions, and questions Dave.

Are the radio and computer on the same network? The radio advertises itself using a UDP broadcast, so the two devices need to be in the same collision domain (i.e. the same subnet). No registration is needed for local radios - that’s only for SmartLink remote operation.

Lots of help available :-)

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

This video might help you understand how SmartLink works and make it a bit easier to diagnose you issues.

Answers

• VA3MRJ
    VA3MRJ Member ✭✭
    WEll strange thing I turned on the iad this morning and it worked!!
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

Don’t forget, the radio needs a minute or two to boot up after being turned on - it won’t respond until ready.

Also, be sure your network is set up to deliver an IP address to the radio. It’s best to set up an IP address reservation in your router’s DHCP configuration.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Also, you never ever need to 'log in' to connect to your radio on the same network.

I would be interested in seeing a diagram of your home computer network. Especially if you are using a Mesh or Range Extender.

• VA3MRJ
    VA3MRJ Member ✭✭
    The radio works correctly on my Lan. I am trying to connect to the radio through the internet when away from home. My understanding is that the Rogers ignite router has to port forward the radio.
    To do this I go to the Rogers ignite router settings and can see all my devices by name such as David's Acer. I do not see Flex radio but I did when I first installed the radio. Now it shows an asterisk wih "unkown device" I edited the device and named it Flex Radio and forwarded that Port, which us 1 udp.

It also shows it having a reserved ip address even with dhcp selected.

The radio is connected by cat 5 to a switch and the switch is connected to the Rogers router. There are other switches, a router, and devices connected to the Rogers Ignite router but the radio portion is as described.

I can draw a complete network diagram of all devices, switches and router if you think it would help

Appreciate your time
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Yes, a diagram would be very helpful. Multiple routers can be very problematic, but your diagram will help to determine if you have an issue there or not.

A reserved IP address is not the same thing as a static IP address. It just means that DHCP will assign the same IP to that device every time. It is very nice to know what the IP will be each time.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

Dave, we can do a Zoom call and get you set up. It’s not very hard, and Mike (VA3MW) has some great videos. Bill VA3QB is around to help, too.

If you want, just send me an email, callsign at rac dot ca.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.