Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does Maestro Mic Line In connection work with common headphone / mic plugs

Dan Trainor
Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

I have several iPhone / iPad type headphone w/ lapel mics. And other headphones with the same standard 4 ring plugs that can be used with tablets and laptops and other devices for audio out and mic in. Question is: can I plug these into Maestro Mic Line In jack?

Answers

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Geoff, Mic 2 didn't work for this type of headphone for me. The plug has a tip, 2 rings and shield. TRRS. Are you saying it would work in Mic 2 TRS? I can test again... dan

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

I don't believe it will work. Here is the Apple pinout:

The jack in the Maestro is TRS, not TRRS

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Yes, I agree Geoff.

The newer CTIA/AHJ wiring standard reverses the last two mentioned, so it calls for Tip to be used for left audio, Ring 1 to be used for right audio, ring 2 to be used for ground, and the sleeve to be used for microphone.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

Dan,

I believe that's the same as the diagram I sent you. The solution Mike offered is probably the best approach if you don't want to fabricate something. It doesn't look as though there will be PTT available with that adapter.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Yes Mike, I think this splitter adapter approach may be the workaround. So, I need to split the 4-ring TRRS plug to go to Mic 2 TRS and also Headphones jack TRS. And I would do PTT from MOX button on front panel. Finding the correct model splitter would be the challenge. I do have a splitter that that I got from Flex for my Radio Sport headphones, but that has a slightly different configuration with PTT In-Line and does not work with these other TRRS headphones/mic headsets. dan de WA1QZX

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

Mike, Actually the splitter you reference from Amazon looks like correct config, so may I just order that and test it. Chances are it would work. *** Edit: No this particular one won't work. "incompatible with CTIA standard Apple Earbuds and Beats headphones" Those happen to be the exact headsets I am using. lol Thanks, dan

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

But, I may have to take mic side of splitter and go into Line In jack instead, as Mic 2 has PTT which I would not be using. Would Line In be at right electrical level for headset lapel mic? Not sure. Hoping someone has done this before.... dan

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Searching Amazon but all Splitters I see have this disclaimer: "Splitter Cable for Headset: PC headset adapter is designed to connect a CTIA standard combo-plug headset or a 4-POLE (TRRS) external microphone to your PC or laptop that only has a separate microphone and headphone jack. Note: Don't support iOS/Bose/Beats headphones for Mic Function. But, I am using iOS/Bose/Beats headsets. Agh!

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

The nice thing about standards is there are so many of them.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

John, Looks like no standard Splitter adapter is going to work as Flex put Mic on tip of Mic 2 connection. There is no standard known that puts Mic on tip. The older OMTP wiring standard calls for Tip to be used for left audio, Ring 1 to be used for right audio, ring 2 to be used for microphone, and the sleeve to be used for ground. The newer CTIA/AHJ wiring standard reverses the last two mentioned, so it calls for Tip to be used for left audio, Ring 1 to be used for right audio, ring 2 to be used for ground, and the sleeve to be used for microphone. There is no known standard that puts microphone on the tip of a TRS or TRRS. So, this must be a Flex thing where on Mic2 they put Mic on Tip, PTT on ring and sleeve is ground. Therefore I have to build a custom splitter cable as no standard one would work. I have to map the mic to the tip of a TRS plug. Weird. Dan

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

See what I mean?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.