Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

how do you play a saved mp3 file on pc thru the mic input on the 6400?

Rick Clark
Rick Clark Member ✭✭
The dax screen shows that the drivers are loaded and not corrupted. I had to delete and re-install smartsdr. I am using windows 7 and haven't found the right settings to play an ID audio file on transmit.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Rick, Did you turn on DAX here?

Your Windows playback software needs to be set to DAX Audio TX so that the audio gets piped to the transmitter.

• Rick Clark
    Rick Clark Member ✭✭
    I have DAX ver. 3.2.39 . More choices than shown above and none labeled exactly as shown. Tried all of them but I haven't hit the right combination yet.
  • KD0RC

What software are you using for playback into your rig?

• Rick Clark
    Rick Clark Member ✭✭

Windows 7 pro

• Rick Clark
    Rick Clark Member ✭✭

using the windows media player to play an mp3 file.

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

To clarify what you need to set: On the Windows Volume mixer control, for the output device (normally Speakers or similar), click the drop-down and select "DAX Audio TX (Flex Radio Systems DAX TX)" as the output device.

On SmartSDR, you must have its control panel open (normally on the right end of the Slice window). On this panel is a Phone Transmit Control Panel. The "DAX" button near the bottom right corner must be turned on, indicated by it being blue.

If you now play your wave file on the PC, you should see the audio level meter move on the Phone Transmit panel. Adjust the Windows volume, DAX control panel gain and mic gain as necessary to keep the meter reading around -5 to -10 dB. If I remember correctly, you must use MOX as VOX won't respond to DAX inputs, only the mic. Also on the DAX control panel, you should see the audio signal on the meter bar for the TX input.

73, Craig KØCF

• KD0RC

Hi Rick, I played around with media player and do not see how to redirect its output to DAX. I would suggest trying Audacity. It is easy to use and will play your MP3 files (and can create new ones). You can record from a mic or from the Flex off the air. You can play back to the speakers or to the Flex.

To test it, I set my RF Power to zero, turn on the Monitor and TX DAX. I then click MOX or hold a PTT switch and play the MP3 using Audacity. If the sound comes from the Flex speakers and/or headphones and not from the PC, you are in business.

Best of all, you can get it free.

Audacity ® | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing. (audacityteam.org)

• Rick Clark
    Rick Clark Member ✭✭

Len, I have tried audacity and have not had any success. There are three settings in audacity plus the settings in windows to direct rx and tx audio. I can get the level indicator for the dax tx audio to work but can't get the audio into the mic input when transmitting. Playing the audio thru the speakers from an audacity file works okay.

• KD0RC

Hi Rick, Here is a shot of Audacity and SmartSDR. It takes these two settings together to make it work.

• Rick Clark
    Rick Clark Member ✭✭

Len, I sent you an email with pics of all my settings and options. Maybe this will help you see what I am doing wrong. Thank you, Rick.

• KD0RC

Hi Rick, everything looks OK. Are you clicking the MOX button in SmartSDR or pressing the PTT switch? It won't transmit until you do. I don't think VOX works with DAX.

• Rick Clark
    Rick Clark Member ✭✭

Tried both mox and ptt, no luck. Also tried putting smartsdr and audacity on laptop with windows 10pro. No luck there either. Thought maybe windows 7 was the problem.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

What people are suppling for answers are correct, but in summary:

• Audacity - playback device must be DAX Audio TX to ensure the recorded audio is directed to the right place
    • SmartSDR DAX - must be running - when you play the audio in audacity, you should see the bar graph for TX Stream
    • TX Gain about 50% and do not overdrive the audio levels in the radio. No higher than -5db on the level meter
    • SmartSDR - DAX TX must be selected - this will turn the TX Box blue in SmartSDR DAX
    • PTT or MOX to send the audio on the air.

The audio travels like this:

Audacity<>SmartSDR DAX<>LAN<>Radio

• Rick Clark
    Rick Clark Member ✭✭

Here are my settings but I still can't get the Audacity audio to play on flex 6400, ptt is depressed and also tried mox. No luck...🙄

• Rick Clark
    Rick Clark Member ✭✭

mic is selected above proc. button, not pc. My error.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited December 2021

So, you have audio to SmartSDR DAX! Excellent. That works. Thanks for the picture. Very helpful.

Your configuration looks correct. What if you reboot the radio and restart DAX?

• Rick Clark
    Rick Clark Member ✭✭

Still doesn't work.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

At least on my radio DAX, VOX and PC Mic won't work when both are enabled.

change your Microphone to something other then PC and give it a try.

Have you tried ANY other sound card program like WSJT-X, or FLDIGI ??? if those work then the radio is set correctly.

Also may I recommend a Nice program called Voice Keyer by Ray K9DUR @ https://k9dur.us/voice_keyer.php

This is a great program like the rest of Ray's FLEX Radio utilities. Once you get the Radio working with Sound card programs then this program will give you a automated way to let the radio be keyed and send one of the 10 WAV Audio memories using DAX and a CAT PTT Port setup.

Use Audacity to record your WAV audio files and load them to the Voicekeyer program building a separate (VoiceKeyer Profile) NOT TO CONFUSE this with Flex radio Profiles.

You can have and endless number of (VoiceKeyer Program Profiles) each holding 10 Audio WAV file Memories.

Don't get frustrated and if you need help it may take a Teamviewer session with someone who can show you what may be the problem, you probably need to just ask.

hope you get it figured out.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.