Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

node-red-contrib-flexradio v0.8.0 for controlling flexradio from NodeRed

N1SH
N1SH Member ✭✭

v0.8.0 of node-red-contrib-flexradio nodes are now available via Manage Palette and NPM. (The NodeRed manage palette may be delayed as it takes a bit for systems to refresh updates.) These nodes allow you to control and monitor your flexradio from NodeRed (http://nodered.org).

Updates in this version include:

* Numbers in delivered messages are now actually numbers and not numbers wrapped in strings. This is from an overhaul (again) of the command stream parser code. Handles for clients, streams, and such are kept as hex strings and not converted to numbers, example: 0x40000001. Where a handle is not prefixed by '0x' in the flex radio responses, one is added to maintain consistency.

* Found a few more edge cases in the command stream parsing, `meter 24 removed` which were causing errors and in some cases complete crashes of the system.

* Reorder items in node configuration so that the `Name` field is last. This maintains consistency with the built-in NodeRed nodes. This is only a user interface change.

* Clean up the event handlers among the nodes to more gracefully work with re-deploys and not consume extra memory and resources. Refactor many of the listeners in the top-level exposed nodes to be more consistent. 

* Change the default radio hostname from `localhost` to `flexradio` as the radio hostname will surely never, ever, be `localhost`. It was misleading.

* Update the `vita49-decode` node which enables access to the VITA-49 datagram parser without creating a UDP listner (e.g. the `flexradio-discover` or `flexradio-meter` nodes). This is an advanced feature which may be removed in a future version. 

* Add `flexradio-decode` node to enable access to the parser without a connection to the radio. Could be used if you want to manage the TCP connection yourself. An advanced feature which may be removed in a future version.

* Rewrite the vita49 parser to use `binary-parser` npm module. This adds a dependency, but it's a small one and will make the parser more flexible in the future.

* Begin to add support for more complex data streams (panadapter, waterfall, etc.) in the VITA-49 parsing. Mostly very low level in the parser. Prototype `flexradio-stream` node.

* Write and rewrite test scripts and workloads for both command stream (TCP) and data stream (UDP) parsers to exercise them and their use.

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

This is amazing work!

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Mike,

Take a look in the Node Red site’s files section, under !1!Files by Type/Radios there is a folder for flows that use Stephen’s new Flex nodes. My flow is a straightforward one, similar to my previous Flex flows. Alan uploaded his flows which have a lot more integration and are geared towards MultiFlex.

The next fun thing will be parsing the VITA49 data.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

My dashboard needs a complete overhaul.

I get to the point that it is working and 'good enough'. :) Then you do a great job of polishing it up.

Thanks!

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Check out my PG XL and TG XL flows. You will need my CSS flow which is in the misc folder.

Also VE3NNT uploaded a polished Rotor Genius flow I helpeD him do.

Dave wo2x

• N1SH
    N1SH Member ✭✭

There's a couple of YouTube videos I created for folks to get started with the nodes:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFeSzqhDMutUQJwLXwDYo94M8RThH9I6U

Dave and Alan have much of this done for you and their flows are worth taking a look at for some of the things you can build.

As an aside, I'm on the prowl for a wireshark capture of the PG XL, and TG XL, and the antenna switcher thing. Both data and command streams (TCP and UDP). I don't have access to these products but would like to make sure things work properly with them and with them connected to a radio.

Lastly, Mike, thanks for the compliment.

• HUGE MASSIVE THANK YOU to everyone who is working on this: I architect and design applications for a living--but I can't code to save my life. This is actually a chance for me to build something that my (much smarter) friends who code can put stuff on top of!
  • N1SH
    N1SH Member ✭✭

Thank you Pete_K7LEE.

It's thanks like this that keep me going on the project.

Next up is autodiscovery so you won't even have to put in your Radio's IP address if you only have one.

Stephen

• N1SH
    N1SH Member ✭✭

Updated to v0.9.0 which has a few small bug fixes and auto-discovery of radio(s) added.

• Mike-VA3MW

Steve, all I can do is keep saying thanks!! :)

• N1SH
    N1SH Member ✭✭

...and that's what keeps me going.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.