Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

60m with WSJT-X / FT-8

Today I tried to use FT-8 on 60m. I successfully added the frequency to WSJT-X and tried both Region 2 and All. In both cases, if I click on it in WSJT-X, WSJT-X shows a frequency in black of 5.357.0 OK but the Flex 6500 goes to 10.713 MHz. If I move the frequency in the Flex, I get a long string of numbers and commas in WSJT-X. If I set the Flex to 5.357.0, the frequency field in WSJT-X goes to all zeroes in red.  WSJT-X and the Flex work fine on all other frequencies.  I am using the latest version of WSJT-X and SmartSDR. Confused.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@JohnK2CIB

Hi John

That is very strange and I would suggest that you do a 100% review of your WSJT setup as it is not communicating correctly to the radio.

You may find that using SliceMaster may help you out.

• JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭

It is strange because WSJT works perfectly on every other band. I have SliceMaster, but am not familiar with it. Last I changed the checkmark in the setup menu for Use TCP but it didn't make any difference.

There is a possibility that there is some RF problem at the remote site, but the problem is perfectly repeatable. I will use my RF sniffer and play with some toroids, etc. next time I get out there.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

This is not an RF issue, but more likely that WSJTx is sending a command for the radio to change frequency.

Make sure that 'fake it is off' in WSJTx settings.

It would help if you post a screen shot of WSJTx while on 60M as that would allow for a more detailed review. Also, if you have any other programs connected to the radio, like FRStack, you may want to shut those down.

• JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭

Here are my screen shots:

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

Hi John,

Looks like your TX and RX frequencies are above the Bandwidth of your carrier (2700).

Also, have you seen the other Forum comments on this?

Bill, NE1B

• JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭

Hi Bill -

No that is not the problem. There is a communication failure between the Flex and WSJT-X but only on 60m for some reason. Today I fired up SliceMaster, which, I think, intercepts that communications, and 60m worked fine! Not sure I will leave SliceMaster in there, but it does have some benefits.

I am off to Northern Vermont for a couple of weeks at the end of the month. Wouldn't it be nice to have lunch together? Guess it would be too long a drive for that, though. Next time.

73 and best to you and yours, John

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.