Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex/SDR newbie

Art Milaca
Art Milaca Member ✭✭
Hello
I recently acquired a NIB Flex SDR-1000. I see there is no longer support for the 1000.
First thing I need to know what is a good sound card to use with the 1000 ? I want to use a stand alone USB type because My shack computer is an Intel NUC and no provision for internal card.
Secondly I would appreciate any info on groups etc that deal with Flex so I can get help as needed.
Thanks
Art K0KUK

Best Answer

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓

If you do a web search for flex sdr-1000 you will find alot of info.

http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50108.aspx

I am pretty sure you are going to need a pc with a parallel port, once upon a time there was a usb adapter available that worked for this radio, the driver is available but you will most likely not find the adapter.

I had to run windows 7 32 bit to get mine to work.

I used the version of powersdr from the KE9NS website called Excalibur, if you can't find it I have it backed up on my NAS.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Art, you can get a lot of help and information right here on this forum, even for out of production radios like your Flex 1000.

Another source of good info is the FlexRadioSmartSDR forum on groups.io.

FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io | Topics

Between these two sites, there is every chance that you will get questions answered and problems solved.

Congratulations on obtaining a NIB 1000! Not quite as cool as finding an unbuilt Johnson Viking kit, but still pretty exciting! Have fun with your 1000 and let us know how you are getting along with interfacing it to your NUC.

• Art Milaca
    Art Milaca Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Hi Larry \n The 1000 that I got is virtually unused in the sealed box. I have the parallel port from radio to USB connector. \n I guess I'm going to have to get a totally different computer because all my machines are Windows 10.\n \n"}]
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Art, can you operate in Win 7 compatibility mode?

• Art Milaca
    Art Milaca Member ✭✭
    What is a current soundcard that is ok for the 1000 ?
    When trying to install PowerSDR 1.8 it calls for NET framework 1.1.4322 which I cant find. Every link says unsupported.
    I was going to try the PowerSDR 2.8 +Excaliber but only link I could find for download was in russian.
    I am a complete dummy at this and trying to stumble my way through it
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

I spent two weeks getting my SDR-1000 up and running and that was the operating system I was able to get it working on. I never had the parallel to usb adapter so I am not sure if that would have let it work with windows 10.. Others may know that answer but I would try it on windows 10 and see if it will connect to the radio. I think the biggest issue is if that USB driver is compatible with windows 10.

PowerSDR Excalibur

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B6ccZsTVwk5szJw6z9itij7QDQOeZhz1/view?usp=sharing

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

I was using the Edirol FA-66 on mine which requires a firewire card to connect to PC.

• Art Milaca
    Art Milaca Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":" It seems that the sound card suggested are all not manufactured anymore.\n I have found some used but don't know if I want to take a chance on something that might have a little glitch .there is enough of a learning curve here without have to fight anymore stuff\n"}]
  • Art Milaca
    Art Milaca Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":" Okay so here is where I'm at.\n I am getting a dedicated Windows 7 machine to eliminate some of the pitfalls maybe and it seems that that is the machine that runs well for most of you guys. It will be an i5 with 4 gigs of RAM and probably a 250 gig hard drive\n Still wondering if I'm going to have a problem with needing that NET framework 1.1.4322 that seems to be necessary for running power SDR 1.8.\n Again I was thinking about doing power SDR 2.8 with Excalibur but as I said before the only place I found to download it the information is all in Russian. So if anybody might have that on on a flash drive or something I would appreciate getting it or if you would have a link to the download that is in English I would appreciate it\n As I mentioned before I do have the USB adapter for the radio but I'm going to go with the db25 cable and maybe again eliminate some pitfalls for now\n"}]
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Art

I would leave Windows 7 behind and go to Win 11. It is actually very stable and much faster than Windows 7. Yes, we hear a lot about Win10 issues, but that is only because of the HUGE install base. Windows 7 was released to the public over 10 years ago which is a lifetime in this industry.

Windows 10 came out in July of 2015.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I have been playing with Windows 11 as well and once I changed to the Beta updates solution I have to say I'm really getting to like it, you just need to check your computers hardware to make sure it will work BEFORE you install it otherwise it could leave you in a non working state with the utility they released to do just that.

good luck

• Art Milaca
    Art Milaca Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Well it seems that a lot of people are running Windows 7 with the 1000 and no issues.\n"}]
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

I use win 7 with a 6400 which works well. There is nothing in win10 or 11 that would enhance my operation.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

Art check your messages.

• Art Milaca
    Art Milaca Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022

Ok back to playing with the SDR-1000..... Using to M Audio Delta 44

I have hit a wall. when I try to run power sdr I get error message saying that deltapnl.dll is missing in newer ver of driver . I guess this dll is not in newer ver of driver... Evidently there is a work around using the newer driver if I have the deltapnl.dll file. link below explaining that is in flex database.

http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50012.aspx

Sooo being a computer dummy I guess maybe someone could send me an older working driver or just the dll file and I could try the work around.I guess if this fails I will try the Edirol/Roland FA66 firewire

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.