Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Voicekeyer = FRStack + StreamDeck

I don't think I've seen this done yet, so forgive me if this has already been posted. I've used the combination of FRStack and StreamDeck for many things including controlling my 4-square (8-direction) and 8-circle array. (see my VE3CKO QRZ page for details)

Now for a voicekeyer. I know with programs such as N1MM you can assign keyboard keys for voice keying and it works great but you have to be on focus and this can quickly become clumsy and awkward to use. So taking the tools on hand, the great FRStack program and the StreamDeck why not create some VoiceKeyer profiles. So I did this by using the StreamDeck to trigger a series of events that will play an audiofile through any Flexradio 6000 series. Separate buttons for CQ, QRZ etc. and can easily expand to have a separate folder for each type of contest, search and pounce or run station.

I will give an example of how to create one button, "CQ", use it to create your own, and then many more.

This is assuming you already have some knowledge of FRStack and that you have a bunch of audio files already created, if not you will of course have to do that, and label them so you can easily identify them. I'm going to assume you know how to create audio files with a program such as Audacity. It will also assume that FRStack is already connected to your Flexradio and you are on the active slice you want to transmit on.

You will need to to setup a couple hotkeys in FRStack, DAX and MOX, this is what I used:

• CTRL-ALT-D for DAX
  • CTRL-ALT-M for MOX

Then within StreamDeck you need a starting place for the voicekeyer so create a folder called VoiceKeyer. Then in that folder create a button by dragging the MULT-ACTION function from the right column of StreakDeck. In the Title field label the button "CQ" or anyway you want. The content field will say 0 actions. We need six actions in order to do what we want (see screenshot below). Simply drag the six actions:

• Hotkey - this will toggle on DAX
  • Hotkey - this will toggle on MOX
  • Play Audio - point this to where your audio file is located, this will play that file
  • Delay - you must set this delay for the time length of the audio file, in milliseconds
  • Hotkey - this will toggle off DAX
  • Hotkey - this will toggle off MOX

That's it, that simple. It will play the audio file through the radio on the active TX slice. Other buttons can be created faster by copying and pasting the button to an empty button space and changing the labelling and actions accordingly.

Comments

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭

I have tried to set this up. Everything works except that there is no audio output. The reason is that DAX will not stay on in SSB mode. Even if I click the DAX button in SSDR it only momentarily turns blue and then is OFF again (when in SSB, it perfectly fine in DIGI modes). Why is this and what do I need to do?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Erik

TX DAX and SSB operation is mutually exclusive. You can have one or the other.

Mike is pretty good about his coding, so I am sure he turns on DAX TX when the voice keyer is playing and then off when it is done. You might want to check with him.

• Erik Carling EI4KF

Hi Mike, yes his coding shows that I think. He turns DAX on, plays the audio, turns it off. I have coded it the same. My problem is that as soon as DAX is turned on, it immediately turns off thus the audio file is not transmitted. It is the same if I click DAX when in SSB mode, it briefly turns blue but then goes off - which from what you say is correct. Therefore I do not know how any voicekeyer can work, let alone this one via Stream Deck. How, when in SSB mode, is DAX kept on for the duration of the length of the audio file?

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Erick, just got your email, I did not see the postings here. Anyways, I've retested mine and it works fine. Could you check your DAX window and be sure the TX stream goes from yellow to blue during the transmission, in otherwords be sure TX stream is ON, see below. Without TX stream ON, I also could not get audio either so hopefully this is the easy fix for you.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited June 2021

Hello Mike. When I initiate the voicekeyer in Stream Deck I see the TX button go momentarily blue and then back to yellow immediately. I see the level meter go up as the audio file is sent but there is no transmission. DAX does not stay on. I have also found the same issue when sending an audio file in N1MM. So something is bad here but I do not know what.

Additionally, when the radio is in SSB mode, I cannot turn DAX on. It is only on when in DIG mode. Mike VA3MW seemed to say that TX DAX and SSB operation is mutually exclusive thus when in SSB, DAX does not work. That being the case, how do you get your Stream Deck voicekeyer to keep DAX on throughout the transmission?

If I use Control-Alt-D from the keyboard, with FR Stack running, again DAX only momentarily turns on. It goes off immediately. This is clearly what is happening with the Stream Deck voicekeyer. Is this a software problem? I am on the latest version.

In another posting about DVK this picture was included:

The radio is in SSB (LSB) and DAX is on. I cannot do that. DAX will not go on in SSB mode. What is wrong please?

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

I am on SmartSDR v3.2.39, oh I just thought of more things to check out with StreamDeck. Have you setup a simple button to play an audio file and confirmed it plays the audio file? If so is it through the audio (speakers) of your computer. Also open up the button on StreamDeck, see below my example, the last line, you must have the output selected DAX Audio TX (FlexRadio Systems DAX TX.

• Erik Carling EI4KF

Hello Mike. Yes the audio file plays through the computer speakers. Also if I set the radio to DIGU and execute the Stream Deck voicekeyer, DAX stays on and the audio file is sent (well kind of, obviously the mode is incorrect). But put the radio back in SSB mode and DAX will not go to on.

Yes, I have DAX Audio TX set in the last line of your Soundboard configuration.

I will open a support ticket. I think something is very wrong here.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Erick, your reply came through while I was entering my reply so I didn't see it, now I've had a chance to read it, you say, "I use Control-Alt-D from the keyboard, with FR Stack running, again DAX only momentarily turns on. It goes off immediately. This is clearly what is happening with the Stream Deck voicekeyer. Is this a software problem? I am on the latest version."

I didn't catch that before, yes you are right this should not be happening and my guess is some 3rd party software is doing this. Let's try the process of elimination, try running just SmartSDR, FRStack with the StreamDeck unplugged, close down everything else including N1MM and do the Control-Alt-D to see if DAX stays on. If it does try with StreamDeck, you get the idea, lol. Me thinks it might be some setting checked in a 3rd party software.

Something else, I must ask a silly question, I'm assuming your setup works with say WJSTx for FT-8? If you make FT-8 QSOs then that is evidence that DAX is ok for the most part. I'm asking because in the past, before the fixes came out there was issues with Microsoft updates messing up DAX, many have experienced that including myself affecting this very setting DAX Audio TX.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited June 2021

Hello Mike, Thanks for trying to help. I am running SmartSDR, CAT, DAX and FRStack. The problem is the same.

Oh hold on.... I have just closed FR Stack itself and I can turn DAX on SSB mode from SSDR. Yes, launch FR Stack and again I cannot turn DAX on.

Ok well, this is not a Flex problem. They will hate me, I opened a support ticket. And I cannot ask you to help with FR Stack. There is no obvious reason why FRS would do this.

So thank you so much for helping find the reason. I really appreciate it. I will look into the FR Stack issue.

EDIT: I uninstalled FR Stack and reinstalled it. With default settings your Stream Deck voicekeyer works perfectly. On the FR Stack DAX/MOX tab I did previously have Mode is not DIGL/U sets DAX off. That was it.

73 de Erik.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

Fantastic, glad you got it sorted out.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Eric

Good on you for sharing what you figured out. It will help others.

• KR5OG Paul K
    KR5OG Paul K Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021

Mike, VE3CKO

Your instructions are right on, I have my StreamDeck set up with a VoiceKeyer as you demonstrated in your writeup, it took me some time but got it figured out but after gaining some experience it is working very well.

Thank you

Paul Kr5og

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭

Can this option work if you are operating the station remotely.

In other words have the StreamDeck connected to your laptop while away from home and connected to the Flex via Smartlink.

John K3MA

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

John, FRStack on my PC uses SmartLink to connect to my remote Flex while my PC is also using SmartLink while running SmartSDR to the Flex. The StreamDeck is physically connected by a USB cable to my PC and gets linked to FRStack which in turn forwards radio commands to the Flex over SmartLink. So yes, it all works together while remoting back into your Flex from anywhere.

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭

John, thank you for the explanation. Does that chain cause any significant additional audio latency/delay issues beyond what you get with a microphone connected to the remote computer connected back to the station via Smartlink?

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

You are welcome John… no, I have not experienced additional latency concerns when using StreamDeck remotely. Of course, operating remotely is the only way I have ever used it as my antenna is miles away from my home QTH. A pictures is on my QRZ page. I consider FRStack essential and StreamDeck incredibly useful to manage multi-step command sequences to the Flex. Have fun!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.