Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smartlink login fails

I enter user and password and only get a blank white screen with a small ok on it. I updated both the 6500 and Maestro and does the same thing.

Comments

• matt_bohl
    matt_bohl Member
    I'm getting the same thing. New update and the BS begins and STILL NO SQUELCH!
  • WP4SK
    WP4SK Member
    Same Here
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin

We are aware of this issue that impacts all customers and unrelated to any Smart SDR version. Our engineers are working to solve the issue, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Dan, N7HQ

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

I’m able to use it with no trouble.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
  • Bogdan SP8BRE
    Bogdan SP8BRE Member ✭✭
    > @Ike said:
    > I enter user and password and only get a blank white screen with a small ok on it. I updated both the 6500 and Maestro and does the same thing.
    >

Exactly the same is with me May 13, 2021 Bogdan SP8BRE
  • Remo
    Remo Member ✭✭
    same error my side ...

would be nice if an error message would presented to the customer
    cheers

Remo
  • Duane5241
    Duane5241 Member
    Will uninstalling 3.2.34 and re-installing 3.2.31 allow operations while the fix for the new version is in progress?
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

No Duane, as Mike has kept us in the loop on what is going on all versions of Windows and Maestro SmartLink are broken.

we'll all just have to patiently stand by and probably if we are lucky they will release a new version of SmartSDR early next week.

If you have a MAC iPad or iPhone they are supposed to work so NOTHING you do on your end will fix this until the new version comes out.

• VE6WZ
    VE6WZ Member ✭✭

Just FYI....there are likely quite a number of us Flex users that are remote ONLY using W10, like me. I never touch my radio. If you use your radio at home, this "issue" means nothing to you.

I realize the boys are working on this, but for the last 3 days my Flex radio is nothing more than a useless paperweight !!

I have no radio. Kinda strange to lose the use of your radio for what might be a week because of a software "cloud" issue???

Good thing condx are poor and this is not a BIG contest weekend !!!

73, de steve ve6wz

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@ve6wz Please keep an eye on the Community announcements.

Yes, this is going on much longer than any of us would like. We have people working overtime, weekends and 1 person whose vacation we keep interrupting.

Hang in there please. We feel your pain

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭

Any chance to add routable support to SSDR? I can live without radio discovery since my radios have fixed IP addresses (managed through local DHCP). I run a routed VPN and even at home have the ham stuff on its own subnet. Everything except the Flex works fine just routing between subnets.

• Mike-VA3MW

@Asher - K0AU

Not at this time for a variety of reasons. One, is the lack of security with open ports on your firewall. SmartLink actually works really well, easy to support, and easy for end-users to operate.

• K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭

The new SmartLink version just released is out for the PC. Obviously, it requires a corresponding upgrade at the radio.

Unfortunately for us remote users, the radio will not update via SmartLink so we're still dead in the water.

I'll be off the air until the next time I can travel the 800 miles to the radio location.

• Mike-VA3MW

@K9SO

Yes, this is the way that SmartLink is designed currently. We have always recommended since day one that having a PC local to the radio to handle updated and other Network issues very valuable.

I know it doesn't help in your case, but maybe you can have someone drop by with a laptop and update it for you. I had a neighbour do that for me once.

If you can get a SoftEther VPN in place somehow, you could update over that method.

Sadly, we didn't expect an issue with Auth0 of this nature to cause such an impact.

• Paul Christy
    Paul Christy Member ✭✭
    Mike,

This has been devastating to me as well. I understand there is a new patch for PC users but not Maestro yet. I think you operated remote before there was a such thing as SmartLink. Is your system up now or are you in the same predicament as the rest of us? Are there instructions somewhere how to remotely access Flexradio with SmartSDR without SmartLink? I can get a fixed IP or use DYNDNS if I need to. Seems like there must be a way. I have been sabotaged by SmartLink before.

Thanks a lot.

Paul.

N0GN
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike ... sometimes you have to get into trouble so you can show everyone how good you are at getting out of it ... as the Flex team is doing.

I have a question you may be able to answer:

I do have a working PFSense VPN in place and pre SmartLink it was working just fine for remote access. When I installed Smartlink, it just took over and only allowed me to connect via SmartLink. Until now, this hasn't been a problem since it worked so well and I never spent any energy on trying to figure out why.

But now, I'd like to turn off the SmartLink control and don't know how to do that. I'm hoping that without SL on, it would revert back to my old setup (which hasn't changed). Is there a way to do that? That would fix my Maestro problem too.

Right now, when I turn on the Maestro, it just says "no radios available" and SmartLink Setup is greyed out.

Fred, K9SO

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭

Mike - How does adding SmartLink increase reliability- availability-security when a VPN is required for remote control and management?

Even with SmartLink, I run a routed VPN to access my emergency management remote desktop PC, rotator control, Antenna Genius, remote dry contacts and AC/DC remote power control.

Understand there may be users with a Maestro and a G5RV who don't care about advanced station management, but SmartLink is only a partial solution for remote operation of configurations with more peripherals and antennas

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Fred, On mine when running a properly configured VPN when I bring up SmartSDR SmartLink is not shown, BUT when using NO VPN SmartLink is the only one shown.

I am attaching 2 Pictures One shows with my VPN running and One shows with the VPN turned OFF and using SmartLink.

If your VPN is working CORRECTLY this is how it should work and automatically selects to use SmartLink or SmartSDR so you DON'T have to make that decision,

I am running the radio locally so don't let the Multilink and the (Disconnect) stuff confuse you but the Laptop I took these pictures with is on a Cellphone network and different then my Desktop home network connection.

• Mike-VA3MW

@Asher - K0AU

It is wonderful that you have the skills to allow you alternate routes to the radio. And, I seriously mean that. This is why the radio is designed in the way it is. Build a VPN and do your own thing.

However, for those that do not, and that is most of the radio install base we always need to have a simple and reliable solution that works. SmartLink fills that void. In that way, SmartLink is reliable and secure thanks to the TLS encryption.

For the initiated, there are bunch of things you need to deal with in a VPN:

• Decide on which VPN to use
    • Build or configure the service side
    • Build or configure the client side
    • Track the WAN address (static or DynDNS)
    • Install your encryption keys
    • Setup the required port forwards

Tada... you are on the air! :)

If any of the above fails, then it fails. Again, with your skills, easy enough to fix. However, say you built such a system for your friend a 2 hour drive away. A month away, it fails, now you are in a post setup fix cycle. This now requires someone with the right skills to figure out a way to fix it.

All the above was seriously considered as SmartLink was designed. It had to be easy to get working, easy to manage and secure.

In today's world, product design is based on economics. If we do 'x' will we sell more and more radios (or software) to fund it. As well, what is the post sales impact to the support and services team. How many people will we have to pay to make it feasible? This is the economics of the business.

SmartLink came out around early 2017 if I remember correctly. And, while there has. been a few hiccups, it has been very reliable.

As I mentioned earlier, if it is something you don't like, then there is no requirement to use it as there are alternatives with VPN's like SoftEther. Users are not locked into 1 solution.

BTW, one awesome byproduct of the update to .NET is that SmartLink now seems to be much much faster with less latency.

73 and good DX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.