Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Intermittent VOX

Running 6400 2.6.5

I am having ongoing issues with VOX mysteriously not working. I have reset my database, checked all mic connections and the problem still crops up intermittently. A work around is to close and restart software? That works most of the time. Is this a software bug or a possible hardware issue?

Thanks, 73 de Dan KG0AQ

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

It looks like you need to increase your Delay and you may have increase your VOX Gain.

The variables are unique to each operator.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Dan, it could be that you are just at the edge of some adjustments. I would start by turning DEXP all the way down to see if that helps. If not, try turning up the VOX gain. If it chops in and out, try setting the delay up a bit.

• J.C. W4QK
    J.C. W4QK Member ✭✭
    When this happens check that the DAX button is not selected. I have had this problem a few times when changing from FT8 digital to SSB operation.

73 - John, W4QK
  • Dan KG0AQ
    Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭

Len & John,

I have tried both of your suggestions prior and nothing changes the behavior other than a software restart. It is like VOX does not exist.

Could it be a third party program causing this behavior? I run DDutil and Stacks 3 all the time.

Thanks 73,

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I run DDUtil, and have not had any problems. Not sure about Stacks 3. Try without it to see if the behavior changes. If not, it is probably time to submit a HelpDesk ticket.

• Dan KG0AQ
    Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭

Serge,

Thanks for posting these links. I missed these in my original search. It does appear that others are having my same issue. Unless someone from Flex can come up with a solution to my issue I will wait for a fix to defect number #7724 someday. At least the restart solves my issue for now. BTW, using a Heil PR-781 with +20db bias on.

Thanks again, 73 de Dan KG0AQ

• KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭

kinda same issue here, i know about Dax issue and have it off. but sometimes during ragchew it just unkeys and you have to take a breath and it will start back up, not too bad but it does get aggravating!

Thanks!

Richard - KI4P

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@KI4P Hi Richard,

I have the exact same problem. I am NCS for the Wolverine Single Sideband Net (3935Khz) on Saturday evenings. I use VOX. This 6400M has the craziest VOX I have ever seen. First I can't find an anti-vox control. Second the VOX just quits. I have to cup my hand around the mic to get it back. What gives?

Ed KA9EES

@Mike-VA3MW

@Ken Wells

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

For those having Vox issues:

First, I need to see your settings either from SmartSDR or your FrontPanel. If you have to, take a picture of it.

What is the Vox gain set to and Vox delay?

Next, when you drop out, keep an eye on your Audio Level meter. Are you peaking to -5db or so? Or, did you drop way down.

I also need to know how you are connected to the radio. LAN? Front Panel Maestro or SmartLink.

I would start with making sure you Mic Levels are set correctly.

Next, start with the Vox Gain and Vox delay set to about 1/2 way.

All the above is critical so we can attempt to recreate it.

73, Mike

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Mike va3mw

This VOX is driving me crazy. No matter how I set it up it drops out. I'm fixing to kick this 6400M to the curb. This is my current settings.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021

@Mike va3mw

Here's the mic settings.

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

Waiting for September to write : Dear Flex...it has been 2 years since bug reported and I hope it still on top priority :(

Sergey

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Mike va3mw

I should have mentioned. As you asked. The mic is an old Radio Shack dynamic (Shure 1070C). Sometimes I use a R0DE POD MIC. They're connected directly to the back of the 6400M.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Mike-VA3MW

I think I finally got it right. I increased the vox gain. Like you said. I actually had to decrease the delay. It was a bit too long. This is with the RS (Shure) mic. Now to see if I can go back to the R0DE PODMIC. With these settings to start. They're very similar.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.