Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No Waterfall & Pan Display but everything else OK on brand new HP Win10 LT

I can control the radio, hear receive audio see the S-meter etc everything seems to work but the panadaptor and waterfall. I can tune up/down with the mouse fine. This is a proven setup I have been using it with my other win10 LT and Ipad but this new HP LT gives me this result. Everything with the video on the LT seems FB plays youtub etc perfect. This is on my LAN I have not tried it on WAN. I feel it must be some setting in the HP LT I am missing. Hopeful someone else has ran into this problem and can lead me .

Doug K9CRT

Best Answers

• Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

So, I finally had a chance to set up a "sandbox" environment on an external hard drive to test the Intel 30.0.100.9667 June 8th beta release. It does indeed fix the frozen panafall display 😁! I will work with it in the "sandbox" for a few days and if all is good and stable, I will capture an image of the laptops primary hard drive, and install on the production configuration.

I am glad intel finally fixed this graphics driver bug, but it sure took a while, and if it wasn't effecting much more popular applications it probably never would of happened. It will probably be another 6 months before the OEMs start including the corrected drivers in their pre-installed driver packages as well.

As a result of this bug, the last laptop I bought in March used the AMD processor and chipset, The AMD processor is superfast, but it is a bit of a power hog (45W vs 15W and 2 hr battery life max) at least Intel is back in the game now...

Ted WR4T

• Andrew Mitchell
    Andrew Mitchell Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

30.0.100.9667 Beta did not work for me however, I installed 30.0.100.9684 today and that seems to have fixed it, finally!

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Doug, have you tried clicking the New Panadapter button in the lower left hand corner?

Len, KD0RC

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

yes all that does is bring up a 2nd panadapter etc. No help the more I sit here and think about this it might be a audio problem into the program got me bu

• KD0RC

Can you post a pic of what your screen looks like? Do you by chance have multiple monitors? I am wondering if the display is just not in a visible place right now.

Len

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

Here you go

• aa3ssradio
    aa3ssradio Member ✭✭

One thing I notice is receiver is on ant 2 and transmitter on ant 1. That is a lot of noise on there.

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

correct about the ant selection but has nothing to do with it. That is the way my station is configured using a loop for receive and actually not that much noise if you look at the s-meter level about s-5 which is low noise for my qth on 75m It just looks like a lot of noise because of the way the program is functioning now. The system as it stands works perfect on both my other LT and my IPAD but after buying this new HP Laptop this afternoon and installing SSDR on it this is what I get. I can tune the radio fine, toggle on my PGXL amp everything works but the waterfall is missing and the panadapter deal.

• aa3ssradio
    aa3ssradio Member ✭✭

Looks like an issue with the graphics in the computer. Did you try updating the driver for it??

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

yes tried updating all drivers etc. I just uninstalled SSDR and went and got a fresh download at Flex but still no joy. Actually the video is wonderful on this machine very high dollar LT I-7 processor and all other programs run great. You tube movies etc work perfect. So it has got me I guess I will make a ticket with Flex and maybe Tim has seen this before hopefully or one of the other techs.

Thanks for the input never the less.

Doug K9CRT

• KD0RC

Hi Doug, thanks for the pic. Click on the Display button on the left hand side and look at the Rate and FPS values. It almost looks like your rate is too low (affects waterfall speed).

Len

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

Len thanks for the comment but the rate is not to low. As a matter of fact it looks to be about 80 and the FPS is well over 2/3. Doesn't matter this is not the answer I have had them at all rates and makes no changes.

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭

I've had the exact same problem in the past with Windows, and there is a one word solution: firewall.

For a few more words: make sure you put a firewall exception in for SmartSDR, DAX, and CAT. Everything should be normal at that point.

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

yep already checked the firewall and it has all the Flex stuff checked. To go even farther I disabled the firewall to double check and still no joy. Again thank you for your input your input is spot on .

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Doug,

is that a 6400? It looks like the issue when the heatsink comes off the SCU and the SCU heats up. There was an ECO for that. The noise floor is at -50.

Open a Help Desk ticket. Support can check your serial number to see if the radio is affected.

Dave wo2x

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭

I know it looks like you are describing but that is not the case. Yes it is a 6400M but I did the heat sink mod myself then sent it back into Flex for the 2nd part of that recall. Radio works fb on all other computers and the face of the radio. Only happening with this new yesterday lap top. Hopefully it can get sorted out but thanks Dave for your input always good to have support from others. The screen shot here is not accurate as far as how the radio is running but because of this weird problem it is how it is cast here with that screen snip.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Ok, no problem. Another thing to check is if any firewall software is running try to disable it and try again.

as I stated, open a Help Desk ticket too.

Dave wo2x

• Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭

I have the exact same problem with a new HP Laptop, it is a compatibility issue with Intel's new Iris xe GPU. The GPU is not working correctly with applications that use the Windows Presentation Framework graphic environment (WPF). I saw a thread on Github and another one on the Intel's support website with complaints from other developers that WPF library routines are not working when GPU hardware acceleration is turned on.

A work around is to disable hardware acceleration, Flex Support can tell you how to do this with a registry entry to disable hardware acceleration and another registry edit to re-enable. The laptop has an 8 core CPU so it can easily support the required graphics in software, but it is not the way it is supposed to work and having to re-enable graphics acceleration for other apps is not desirable.

I am now considering returning this laptop while it is still under the 30 day return window, I don't think Intel has a handle on the problem yet and who know when or if they will have it corrected. It's a shame as the laptop is otherwise very nice.

Ted WR4T

• Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭

Thought I would provide a follow-up if anyone is interested in looking into the behind the scenes software engineering issue, here is a discussion of the issue on github https://github.com/cefsharp/CefSharp/issues/3280. And here is the thread on Intel's support page https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Iris-Xe-and-AWS-Workspaces/m-p/1244351 with a rather discouraging, we will get back to you...

• ShawnQuinn
    ShawnQuinn Member ✭✭

Doug

I had the same problem with a new Windows 10 laptop in December. Here is my post:

https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/8023740/panadapter-and-waterfall-frozen-on-new-windows-10-laptop#latest

I submitted a Ticket, the reply Tim provided, is a work around till intel can provide a fix. My Smartsdr 3.1.12 waterfall and panadapter work as they should now.

"If so that graphics adapter/driver combo has a defect for the GPU implementation and a temporary workaround solution The bug is in the Intel Iris Xe hardware acceleration implementation. Hardware acceleration has to be disabled. 

Below are the registry commands for disabling hardware acceleration and re-enabling when a fix is available.

Copy and paste the following into the Command Prompt with administrator rights and press the Enter/Return key.

reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics /v DisableHWAcceleration /t REG_DWORD /d 1

To re-enable:

Copy and paste the following into the Command Prompt with administrator rights and press the Enter/Return key.

reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics /v DisableHWAcceleration

Tim Ellison, W4TME

Customer Experience Manager"

Shawn

VE3XYY

• Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭
    There is some recent news on the Intel Iris Xe graphics driver Bug. As of 3/10/21 Intel has assigned a Bug ID (bug ID# 14013495876) to the issue and is investigating a fix, fingers crossed... maybe we will see a driver update in coming weeks/months.

Here is a thread on the intel support forum with latest information: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Iris-Xe-and-AWS-Workspaces/td-p/1244351/page/2

The bug is affecting some other popular apps: AWS work space tools, Citrix, TurboTax, etc
  • Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭
    I am continuing to follow Intel's work on this known bug (bug ID# 14013495876). Here is the latest information that Intel posted on their support page for the Iris Xe Graphics GPU. Hoping they will get their GPU working with the Microsoft WPF software soon....

Bryce_Intel
    ‎04-21-2021 06:52 PM
    Hello all,
    Update for you:

A lot of traction on this lately. There was some push back from debug but we made a good case and they pushed forward.

They did provide this:

Based on so far checking, it seems the issue is happening when MSFT .net WPF (Windows Presentation Framework) used in APP design with HW acceleration on with specific platforms, which explains why only some apps have this kind of issues not all apps.

Already confirmed it's not a regression by testing 1-year-old and 6-month-old driver releases, same symptoms.

So far, we are not clear the issue comes from which specific part (CPU, GPU…). We are trying to repro the issue with the simple .net app mentioned in the thread instead of the Amazon Chime which will help us to debug easy. Will update later.

Further debug on the WPF UMD example shows actually not only 1st frame was presented, but also 2nd (the 1st back buffer generated by APP), but not 3rd, 4th.....;

The flow is like below:
    (1) Initial front buffer presented OK;
    (2) app draw on back buffer, unlock/release to WPF/GFX for present;
    (3) The back buffer presented OK;
    (4) app draw on back buffer, unlock/release to WPF/GFX for present;
    (5) The new buffer could NOT present ;

(6) repeat step 4/5;

So the problem statement should not be "freeze on 1st frame", but "after initial front and back buffers present, later ones could not present."

This is now passed to a different team who owns the suspected component. More to come...

And here is a link to this thread on their support page:

community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Iris-Xe-and-AWS-Workspaces/m-p/1275644#M96477
  • Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭
    edited May 2021

Well, Intel has confirmed a fix for the IrisXe GPU bug effecting SmartSDR will be released around June 9th, 2021. Looking forward to being able to use the GPU with SmartSDR. Here is a link to their update on this bug:

community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Iris-Xe-and-AWS-Workspaces/m-p/1283236#M97290

Ted, WR4T

• Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭

Hello,

Same issue here. Bought new laptop this weekend, HP with Iris-XE.

Hope HP will come quick with updates!

Laurens PD9X

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

I just bought a Dell XPS 8940 desktop with 11th generation i7 and UHD graphics 750. Serious issues with SSDR.

Not happy.

Robby/HP3SS

• KD0RC

Hi Robby, what issues are you having?

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

SSDR loads and I can hear the radio and I had a QSO but the grass in not moving in the display and no waterfall. Everything is frozen and the display tab on the left has all the controls but they don't do anything. I have some other apps that don't work either so I guess it is all from the problem with the 11th gen i7 chip.

Robby

• KD0RC

Ah, OK. It almost sounds more like a network issue. One thing to try is plugging the computer directly into the ethernet port on the radio (you will probably need to shut down the computer and radio, then start them both back up). That will bypass the network and help determine if the network is the culprit.

If the direct connection doesn't help, I would suggest putting in a helpdesk ticket. Give a good description of the problem, radio model, computer and operating system (Win 10, etc). Also let them know how you are connected (WiFi, LAN cable, remote via SmartLink, etc). There are lots of places that can tie things up if not configured right. It may or may not be the computer itself.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a Windows Firewall issue to me, try turning OFF windows firewall for a few minutes and see if that help, You may have to set the Network type to private instead of in Public settings to.

• KD0RC
    edited June 2021

Maybe this is it... Sounds like the same symptom that Shawn had.

Panadapter and waterfall frozen on new windows 10 laptop. — FlexRadio Community

EDIT: Sorry, accidentally sent before I finished...

You will want to submit a helpdesk ticket. The fix supplied for Shawn's situation might not be exactly the same for your video board. Since it was fixed with a registry edit, you do not want to experiment - just do exactly what Flex says to do to fix it.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭

I can see no value in opening a ticket with Flex. It is not a flex problem. It is a problem for Intel. Their new processor has some bugs and they need to fix them. They have been aware of them for months and predicted that the fix would be available by June 10th. Obviously they were a bit over confident but I believe the solution must come from Intel and we should see it soon.

Anyone who buys a new PC with the intel 11th generation i7 processor can expect a problem somewhere. I am not the original poster of this thread but while I was trying to figure out what was wrong I finally did the smart thing and checked this forum to find others with similar issues with the same chip. Better days are coming.

I can wait. I have several laptops that are 9 or 10 years old that run SSDR just fine on the same network.

73, Robby/HP3SS

• Ted S
    Ted S Member ✭✭

Intel released a Beta driver update on June 8th, the moderator on the Intel community board claimed it would resolve the issues with Windows Presentation Framework applications (SSDR, and a host of other common apps). The driver version is 30.0.100.9667 Beta. It can be downloaded from the Intel site, Download Intel® Graphics - BETA Windows® 10 DCH Drivers. I am traveling this week so I can't test it but plan to give it a try next week. In the mean time the registry entry that disables the GPU for WPF applications has been a good work around. I have not confirmed this but supposedly that work around only disables GPU acceleration for WPF based applications.

Best,

Ted WR4T

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.