Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Software Logging Programs

Richard, N7HX
Richard, N7HX Member
edited August 2020 in Third-Party Software
I have doing my logging and other tasks manually in the past. Now that I have a 6500 and a SteppIR beam antenna, I am looking for a good software program. There are a number out there such as DXLab, HRD, etc. and it is hard to know which will suit me best. For someone new to SDR, what is a good program that is not overly complicated and hard to learn? I of course would want a program that will work well with the 6500.

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Very happy with DXLab's DXKeeper. Commander works well as a CAT interface, and has support for the 6500 already.
  • Kirk, K6KAR
    Kirk, K6KAR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Richard, My primary interests are digital. I've not used DXLab but I have used HRD which I don't care for. I do use FLDIGI, MultiPSK and ALE141. Unfortunately the 6000 series radios don't have the capability of using Virtual Audio Cables (VAC). If and when DAX becomes available and in order to use these programs, you will have to have an interface between your 6000 series radio and the computer which I find unacceptable. I would start with FLDIGI. It's an outstanding program and is strongly supported with great help file. Kirk, K6KAR
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Richard, I use DXLabs. To perform logging, all you need to do is start 2 of the apps: Commander & DXKeeper. Commander is the program the does the CAT communications with the radio. DXKeeper is the actual logging program. The basic operation of DXKeeper is easy to learn. The upside is that there are MANY more features that you can grow into as you become familiar with the program. 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have used DXLabs DXKeeper for many years and recommend it highly. It is very well done and has an active user community.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I use HRD. Works great for me.
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I use the free N1MM DX logging software. Works like a charm with my 6700.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I happen to use Logger32 and find that it fills my needs for a general logging program/awards tracking/Lotw... For the little contesting that I do I use N1MM and import the results into Logger32. N1MM does not do awards tracking but is a great contesting program. Everyone has there own likes... Logger32 is free and activily supported AL, K0VM
  • philip.theis
    philip.theis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Casual and archival logging, DXLAB can't be beat. For Contest logging most people choose N1MM.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    dxlabs for windows or macLoggerdx for mac's
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I use AC Log 4.1 , till waiting for UPS to deliver my 6500 maybe Tuesday
  • W5UG
    W5UG Member
    edited August 2013
    I used it just fine the latest version of WRITELOG as a basic logger. Have not tried it in a contest yet
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am currently using N3FJP's ACLog 4.1 with DDUtil & the FLEX-1500. I will begin testing with the 6500 when it arrives next week. I will report back. ACLog is a very nice program and he has a bunch of dedicated contesting programs available, too, that will import logs into ACLog 4.1.
  • NM1W
    NM1W Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I've used dxlab since it first came out. I've tried others but none can match what the suite can do, and Dave's support of the suite cant be beat.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    I use DXBase which happens to be the first and best logger in the business!
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have enjoyed HRD for many years but there is a learning curve. I am still using the latest HRD paid version 6. However, it has too many pages to setup and for a first time user or average computer savvy I do not recommend it. This is a question that; what may be good for one may not be what you are looking for. I tried FLDIGI, MultiPSK, MixW (paid version) and personally I did not find any improvements or as versatile as HRD. I am waiting for DAX to be implemented before I return to the digital mode or "IF" FRS offers a license for the digital modes/logging etc..
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I use ACLog and it work just fine. It shows unknown in the CAT software until I click ton the Unknown and click refresh and then AcLog 4.2 shows up.
  • Slawomir
    Slawomir Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Im use CommCat. It work just fine on my 6700. Slawomir SP6DLO
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Richard, I have been a DX4WIN user for over 15 years now. It does a great job of just about everything, in fact, if I wasn't so fond of DDUtil I could use DX4WIN to control my M2 rotor and SteppIR, do RTTY, PSK and so on.... But Most of all, the reason I keep it is to keep track of all my DXCC, WAS, WAZ, IOTA and awards numbers and countries, etc.... So far it has been working well with DDUtil and my 6500. I worked that TO2TT on 40m SSB last night with only 100w. I double clicked on his spot, my 6500 jumped to his xmit freq and his listening freq, put me in the correct mode and I snagged him on the second call.... I hit enter and he was in the log....
  • Rene PA3ECL
    Rene PA3ECL Member ✭✭
    Hi Richard. Try different logging programs until you find one that you feel good about. You can also try Log4om. Often used at Hams in Europe.
  • W4POT
    W4POT Member
    I'm using N1MM+ with great success.
  • W1WRA
    W1WRA Member ✭✭
    For my day to day logging, I use Log4OM. I have my digital modes applications to automatically log there for me. Its feature rich, and free. If you are trying out logging software, I would add it to the list of ones to try.
  • Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin

This is NOT an official company recommendation. It is my personal preference.

For my day-to-day logging, I use N3FJP's ACLog, which at present is in version 6.6. (I have used ACLog since 2003.)

It will read your band/frequency/mode information from the API from whatever slice is "Active"

It is not the most powerful logger available, but is probably one of the easiest to use, and powerful enough for what I am doing.

For Contesting, I use N1MM+, which is very powerful. After the contest, I export the .ADI file from N1MM and import it into ACLog. Simple.

As others have mentioned, there are a great many other logging programs in use. A large number of them are free, or cost very little. Try them out and find one that suits you. That is the spirit of Amateur Radio exploration!

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭

LogHX2 is the best and free log (at least for me).

I tried many logs and LogHX is the best one - http://rx4hx.qrz.ru/

The forum in Russian, but author will answer in English, very responsive and making progress with new feature requests and bug fixes almost on daily/weekly basis.

I used with Yaesu radios and last 2 years with Flex6600.

Sergey, KN7K

• nt9e
    nt9e Member ✭✭
    I have been a happy HRD user for over 10 years. I use the HRDLogger as my everyday logger. I use N3FJP and N1MM+ depending on what contest I am participating in. I worked for HRD as tech support for almost a year so if you have a problem I might be able to help.
    Dave NT9E
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭

I use DXLabs as my main logbook & N1MM+ for contests. -- 73, Ray, K9DUR

• David N4IW
    David N4IW Member ✭✭
    I use DX Labs DXKeeper and think that is does a great job for me. One very nice thing about it is that it is free to try out so you lose nothing for trying.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

I originally used HRD log, until they had a spat with another sw developer’s app that I was using and stoped logging. So I dropped them forever, no excuse for what they did to a PAYING customer. Picked up Log4OM V1 and have used it since then and now V2, which is really good, and still for free with a request for donation, which I have done. V2 is now rock solid and works very well with all my other apps, using UDP coms.

• KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020

i use Log4om2, have used several like dx labs suite and hrd, but Log4om2 suites me fine, and its free!

Good luck!

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭

I also use Log4OM V2 and it does everything I need and being free is a plus!

• Ray G6UJB
    Ray G6UJB Member ✭✭

I use DXLabs - DXKeeper, very comprehensive logging app and great support from the developer and excellent online documentation. I would recommend trying all the free ones to see if it meets your logging style and move on from there. Most of the logging apps will allow you to export/import the log so no reason to feel stuck with a particular developer. In fact the ability to have complete control of my logging data in and out of the app is one reason I like DXLabs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.