Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Option to set RCA TX Ports for Tune independently

Dwayne_AB6A
Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I would like the option to set the RCA TX Ports Enable / Disable for the Tune Button...

When I switch bands, I switch Transmit Profiles between an Amp and No Amp version so that when I hit the Tune button, the amp is not keyed up while Tuning is occurring.

I would instead like additional fields in the TX Profile so that RCA TX1/2/3 can be set differently for tune vs normal transmit...

40M | RCA TX1 | RCA TX2 | RCA TX3 | RCA TX1 Tune | RCA TXT2 Tune | RCA TXT3 Tune 

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not sure I fully understand your need, but....in the meantime before this may be added to Smart SDR, take a look at FRStack, "TX RCA" under "options".  Your functionality to inhibit any of the RCA TX Ports during Tune may be available here.

I found you have to be tuning from within FRStack for this TX inhibit to work.

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I would like to assign a dedicated foot switch or hand switch to the tune function, are there any ports on the back of the 6600M that I can do this?
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    No, nothing directly for remote tuning on the Flex.

FRStack has a "Tune" button.

I set up a "Tune" button on my Node-Red Dashboard.  Using a Raspberry Pi and a GPIO "in" pin, operating the  Tune button with an external switch could be made to work.   Here is a link to the Flex Community Node-Red discussions;

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote-operating-and-node-red

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Not sure this can be done because the RCA TX1-2-3 ports are outputs not inputs, depends on if these come from switching transistor's on the newer radios like the older radios of course, I know they could NOT do this.

Why can't you just change the mode to CW and hook your foot switch to the KEY jack?  
    You could build a little switch box to have the Foot switch between the PTT and the CW Jack.
    Bret
    WX7Y

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Any pins on the DB15 that could be used?
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I added additional PTT logic, as you describe (tune inhibit) and more (exciter power gate), for my Palstar LA-1K amp, using logic inputs from the Flex Server and relays in series with the Flex PTT RCA jacks.  Node-Red running on a Raspberry Pi ties it all together.

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I do not see anything like that in the hardware manual.   There is a TX inhibit, but that would prevent you from also tuning.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    OK I guess when the warranty expires I could just tap off the tune button on the front panel and mount a jack on the back of the 6600M for an external hardware tune switch like a foot switch or hand switch.
  • Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    All these replies and I really appreciate the feedback but SmartSDR is software... It is such an easy programming change to make. I know since I develop on a number of platforms.  
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It is possible to do this with FRStack and a Stream Deck. I have it working very nicely using a REST "Tune" command to FRStack, and clicking on the "Tune" button on the remote control program for my KPA1500 using AutoHotKey.
    I use a "switch" function on the stream deck, so the second push cancels the above. It really works very nicely.
  • To Dwayne and FlexRadio team:

It would be a great help if there was a software setting (switch) in the TX Band Settings that would inhibit the RCA TX during tune. I see where others have come up with work arounds, but why not implement such a feature. Todays solid state amplifiers are really sensitive to SWR and being able to Tune without tripping the amplifier into action will really help a lot of people with new solid state amplifiers! For instance Acom Elecraft KPA500 KPA1500

Any chance this could be included in 3.4 or in an optional patch to 3.4
    Sincerely,
    Dalton Williams W5EIM
  • George M.
    George M. Member ✭✭

I also agree, Amp TX should be inhibited during Tune.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2023

Curious --- Are there any other OEM HF radios that allow for this?

I know that it was mentioned that LMDOS amps are sensitive about this, but that really isn't the case any more. Today's amplifiers have amazing SWR protection.

I have transmitted into shorts and opens on my KPA500 more times than I care to admit. :).

• George M.
    George M. Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023

Not that I'm aware of, but when does Flex Radio compare itself with and do what other Manufacturers do?

Yes, my KPA500 trips fast also, however, then you need to release/reset the fault to get back to operating. This could be avoided in the first place by not keying up and having that fault.

Also, when do you need or require the amp "keyed up" to tune anyway? Bad for the Tuner/Coupler, Never mind the interference with tuning up at a higher power than necessary.

Just My Humble Opinion and Thoughts.

George N1NAZ

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

I have a Drake L-4B that is fully manual. I use the Flex tune function all the time into a dummy load to adjust the L-4B.

That's my 2 cents...

• George M.
    George M. Member ✭✭

This is True Geoff, It’s been a while since I have had a manual amp. (as opposed to a no tune solid state) that’s why an option to turn on or off TX1,2,3 be a good idea.

George N1NAZ

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

George

Are you open to alternative solutions to disable the PTT line, during Tune? If so, we (I) can suggest some ideas. For example, add a switch or relay to open the PTT from the RCA connector. This could be done with a manual switch in your shack, or with software, such as Node-Red and displayed on your computer monitor.

Or, if this is simply a request for Flex to add this logic/function to its Smart SDR, then enough has been said already?

Alan. WA9WUD

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

I am one who needs the option for it to remain the way it is. I have the need to key the amplifier with the tune button without it defaulting to eliminate the amp. A simple option so that those with each preference can select it and not defaulting away from it.

Bill AB7AA

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023

Since I have a manual tuner, I created a nifty little multi-action button on my stream deck that sets the TUNE power to 5 watts and toggles the TUNE function on and off. I have the "Tune RCA TX Control" set to "disable" in FRStack so it accomplishes what you're talking about with a single button push.

73, Rick N0VT

• George M.
    George M. Member ✭✭
    edited June 2023

This ability to turn "Tune" on or off on the TX1,2,3 line is a convenience not a necessity and just a suggestion.

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭

Another vote in favor of a tune option that inhibits a PGXL amp AND can assert one of the RCA TX outputs. My use case is for a remote tuner mounted next to a wire antenna. My old tuner (MFJ998RT) autotunes when it senses RF but wants 10 watts or less. I'm considering a replacement tuner (Stock Corner JC-4s) that needs a tune contact closure.

I say old tuner because I can confirm that a 500W tune signal does not make the MFJ tuner happy, but I can't blame MFJ.

Does FRStack work with SmartLink connected radios?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Yes FRStack does work on SmartLink

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.