Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Bugs That Bugs You the Most

Lasse Moell
Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
So nothing better to do than complaining and starting a new thread.
This is about bugs... (not about things working as intended i.e. profiles or remote side-tone).
Here is my top three bugs:

1. Spurious CW TX drop out!  ****... This bites me every day, try call a DX in a pile-up and only realize you do not emit, or make a long "transmission" in a rag-chew. Makes me think evil thoughts.

2. AGC. Outright awful performance. Narrow filters and strong signals should not make you start to weep. My other SDR's are like music to my ears vs. Flex :(

3. Equalizer on slice B. Now having to "activate" the Eq by cylicling mode is a working work-around but why should I need doing this?

My top two are show-stoppers, really! Not sure I wouild be a "Flexer" if I known about them prior to commiting to Flex.
What is your top three bugs?
And keep the thread clean :) Wash your hands!!
/Lasse SM5GLC

Comments

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Although not a Bug just a bad idea in my opinion, AutoSave is a so called feature added to SmartSDR when V3 came out.
    They say it was added to lower tech support calls into flexradio because people did not know how to use profiles. I say why not just make some instructional videos and try to get people to just learn how to use profiles. After all a Flexradio is unlike any other radio most people have ever used before and should not expect it to operate like an an old traditional radio.

Some like Autosave that is why Adding an ON/OFF switch would make everyone happy!

To me that's like saying “Hey I don't know how to fly the space shuttle could you change it to drive like my Chevy because I don't want to learn how to operate it correctly.

:)
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Well...

1) Spurious CW TX drop out - I've never had this happen.  My Flex6600 was on for more than 280 days without a single hiccup.  I op 90% CW and I've never seen anything.  I'd say this is a bug if it is happening to you.

But more details may be warranted.  Are you using the built in keyer?  Are you using CWX?  IE more info on how your system is configured would be helpful.

I do know that sometimes, rarely when using CWX I'll have some network issues cause CW transmission problems.  But that is usually the fault of the network.

2) AGC - Without more info your "bug report" is kind of useless.  I mean be more specific... What is the issue?   I was comparing the AGC on my Flex6600 to an ICOM 7610 that was loaned to me and I personally liked the AGC on the flex more.  It was more responsive than the Icom and I had way more control.

But really, a bug is something that doesn't work the way it was designed or intended.  It is not a bug if you simply don't like it.   So I'd like to know what the issue is.

3) Equalizer slice B - I have not tried to use this so I can't comment.  Some reproduce steps would help.

Mark WS7M
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Mark,
    my bad. I should have posted links and defect numbers so you not think I am dreaming or not using the radio in a correct way.

1. Reply from Tim: "This is defect G7759 and it is currently being investigated by the software team.  At this time the workaround is to stop sending and allow the radio to transition to RX and then start resending." We (not just me) have had this issue for more than a year.
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/6600m-transmitter-stops-intermittently-on-cw?topic-...

2. defect #4505 and I posted this 3 years ago....
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/agc-pop

3. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/audio-equalizer-on-rx-b-slice .
    If you really want to test this, invoke the RX Eq and increase the audio. Then open slice B, and notice for the same volume setting, the actual volume is lower on B.  Now change mode and back again. Presto, the audio is matching that of slice A.

So whats your "favourite" bug?

/Lasse SM5GLC

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I can't think of any bugs that effect my operation. I do not use CW much, so it is not important for me, how ever I understand for others there are some defects that effect the CW operation.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    As always, we only hear of problems that individuals report.

I wonder what percentage of CW operators experience this CW TX power drop out.

I have a 6400 that I've been using for two years, still running 2.4.9, and I have never experienced this problem. Oh, and I do operate CW frequently.
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Well, as long as we're at it....and I love the radio overall .....   I complained about the WNB doing absolutely nothing and was told it is for well structured noise and to read the manual.   Yes, I know the WNB is for well structured noise and I know how to read the manual but when my friends say theirs works just fine and I see it working well on U-tube, please don't just brush me off and them close the ticket...

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    1. VOX bug !!!
    2. ATU not reliable
    3. Random SSDR crash when left working in the evening and it is closed in the morning.
    4. Noise reduction - not a bug, but need improvements for a different types of noise
    5. Automatic AGC - not a bug, but need improvement, it is not practical to do it every time when change the bands. Besides, you can only guess you did it properly. So, it is NOT "AUTOMATIC GAIN CONTROL".
    6. PGXL - Windows utility not readable. Waiting for update for a long time.

Sergey, KN7K

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I have the "right" kind of noise and the WNB is a lifesaver! Depending on band and time of day, I get a 10dB reduction in the noise floor across the band. 80 M in the evening can be completely unusable without it. Getting rid of noise is a complex business, and not all reduction schemes work on all noise. I don't doubt that there will be advancements in this area, but I feel like Flex has done as well or better than most. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    SSDR crash may be due to screen saver.  Just did some testing and for sure it crashes the radio, via killing SmartSDR.  
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I do not think so.
    I do not have any screen saver enabled.
    Over last few month I worked in different contests till late night 12-1am, going to sleep and find different scenarios in the morning:
    1. SSDR does not respond to band changes

2. SSDR completely closed and that screen shows up

3. Weird band confusion.
    Watch that video, after few hours of radio standby ,I find my radio on unknown band - Frequency on the top shoes 14Mhz, Frequency on horizontal band show 3.5Mhz. WHERE AM I? Why?
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DHh1giv12kt0tMKGsrQ3T2MbhIyPFMTt

4. Maestro does not respond - need to go the Menu-Radio-Switch Radio_Connect-Smart Control. This action needed sometimes to reconnect even it is show me it is in Smart Control Mode.

5. Last week I was working fine FT8 on lower bands in the evening.
    Woke up in the morning, found no TX on any modes, besides CW.
    Closed Stack3 and all other utilities - no change. Restarted SSDR-no change. Took me about 30-40min to figure it out.
    Power cycle 6600 - all good.

Again, these things are random, I can not correlate to anything yet.
    Also, 90% of the time it is working fine, but when you see it is happening it is pretty annoying.

Sergey, KN7K
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Most annoying 

DSP Modes completely unusable. Any bigger signal nearby distorts audio when any DSP mode is ON . WNB defunct completely for me. It was better with earlier Software.
    Noise Reduction sounds awful. 

Missing sidetone monitoring via LAN 

ATU takes far to long and fails on LOW SWR ́s .

Information Flag most times covers signal when you want a big waterfall and less Spectrum. 

Development seems DEAD , mostly any other DSP Radio Software gets updates, bugfixes, features at least once a month. 

If i would not have the 6K4 at the clubstation for remote ( and need to keep 2 more  years as club owned ) it would NOT STAY . 

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If Meastro counts as well then the inexplicable performance issues. 73, Volker, DL4RCE
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I agree with #1 and #2 but have not experienced #3.  #1 reared its ugly head this weekend during the SKCC WES.  It is very annoying.
    Jim  AD0AB
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    CW TX dropouts are real and very annoying and happen more often than I want them to.  This bug started with 2.5.1 for me.  Hopefully a fix is on it's way soon !

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for doing that!

My favorite bug... I'm gonna have to think about that because based on my operating modes and styles I haven't run into many...

But let me think today!
  • Rune Wande
    Rune Wande Member
    edited April 2020
    CW TX dropout on my 6600 happens to me frequently using the Maestro and as the sidetone works I do not notice that dropout unless I watch the output meter "all the time". 73 de Rune SM5COP
  • Adde Tjernberg
    Adde Tjernberg Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    This with using DVK when working remote... In order to play the .wav-files from the logging software (or DVK software) it requires DAX TX to be enabled. But with the DAX TX enabled the PTT does not work. In N1MM+ there is a function that do this for you (I assume it's a CAT command?), but to the best of my knowledge it's just N1MM+ that support this.

Adde, SM0SHG
  • K5XH
    K5XH Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

Some filter settings are not properly "remembered". For instance: I set a profile for RTTY operation (using DIGL mode) and select a 300 Hz filter. Switch to a SSB profile and then switch back to the RTTY profile and the filter is set to something odd. I must select another filter width and then back to 300 to set things right. Been that way since I got my 6600 two years ago. I consider this a minor bug but shouldn't be necessary to do this each time when switching between several SO2R profiles during a contest.

WNB doesn't work very well for me. My old 5000 worked better on my type of noise as does my little IC-7100.
    NB seriously distorts the signal so I don't use it much.

Using 2.4.9 still.

73, Mark K5XH
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    So nothing better to do than complaining and starting a new thread.

Sad to hear you have nothing better to do.

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Venting in time of stress can be valuable.... letting off steam in a harmless way.
    Besides, these issues have been on people's minds for a while. It is nice to see we are not alone and possibly something positive may come of it.   
    Everyone has minded their manners and, hopefully, will continue to do so.
    This is an excellent forum with some great contributors. I learn a great deal by reading the comments.
  • Paul G4AFU
    Paul G4AFU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Lasse, I though it was just me with TX dropout until I came back to this forum and realised others have the same problem. It is a #1 problem that needs fixing. The whole cw configuration in the Flex needs looking at and other have commented elsewhere. 
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Paul,  what I find iteresting is that some (like us two) suffer badly from this, others report that they never have noticed this.  Question remains what we do different to have this issue? This an aknowledged bug by Flex, so why do only part of us Flex users have this?
    /Lasse SM5GLC
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Has Flex said this is a bug with a tracking number? Do you know where they said that? I would like to read it to see their wording. Or i can just do a search for it..
  • Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I second this! Breaking the Profiles with AutoSave defeats the entire purpose of Profiles in the first place. An on/off switch would be a great solution.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

Yeah seems pretty obvious!

Someone tried to say that AutoSave is like using a traditional radio in that it remembers where you leave your knobs set. However some versions of the 6000 series do not have knobs. Besides so many of the settings are hidden in sub menus and if it did have a knob and switch for every function of the radio you would need hundreds of them on the front panel.

Just adding an ON/OFF switch to autosave in SmartSDR would make everyone happy. If you like autosave leave the switch ON, If you don't like autosave leave the switch set to OFF.

Problem Solved!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Question, what if someone turns auto save off then forgets to save a profile?  Would it not be better to have a box pop up to ask if you want the setting saved?
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Bill,  this is a transscrip of what Flex Helpdesk replied to my report (and do read my reply to Mark, there's a forum link for further information):
    "I have conferred with Engineering and the analysis of your HelpDesk support incident has concluded that the issue you reported is a probable software defect. I have transferred this issue to the Engineering/Software Development group and placed it in their bug tracker for further analysis.

This issue has been logged as defect number: G7759

At this time the only workaround is to stop sending and allow the radio to transition to RX and then start resending.

The primary purpose of a HelpDesk request is to allow our technical support engineers to assess and address your software, configuration or operational questions or issues. Since your issue has been initially classified to be a probable software defect, the responsibility for its disposition has been transferred from the HelpDesk / Support group to Engineering/Software Development. You may be contacted to provide additional information or assist with the determination of the issue's root cause or test a possible fix for this issue. Currently, there is not a date when this issue may be addressed."
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Ok thanks,,that pretty much closes this up then,,will wait and see if and when they get to it.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'm still curious about the circumstances regarding this CW TX power drop out problem.

What versions of SmartSDR are being used when this occurs?

As I mentioned, I am using 2.4.9 and have never experienced the problem. Has anyone seen this with 2.4.9?
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Geoff,
    i think it did happen earlier on but started to be a real nuisance from 2.51 (I'm currently at 2.60 and Maestro). I have yet to notice this using CWX or using keying from a logging program, only when keying the radio direct at the front panel. I am using the built-in win-keyer, but did notice the drop-out using external keyer too. Note everything appears normal i.e. side tone, and radio in transmit. Just no oputput. You need to keep an eye at the output meter to notice. As soon as you do a TX->RX->TX cycle your back in business. If are running full QSK or very short delay you may never notice the issue, as your transmission drop will be a character or less.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.