Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Bugs That Bugs You the Most

Comments

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

I had  suggested something like that  a year ago.

My idea was just before you close SmartSDR or shutdown the radio it asks “Do you want to save session changes” YES Or NO? If YES changes are saved to current profiles, If NO changes are discarded.

But I thought a simple ON/OFF switch would be easier to program and would make more people happy.

• James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Geoff,
    I run a 6600m with the latest v3.whatever software and I experience the problem from time to time.  I'm not sure how often it occurs because it is vey difficult to trap. 

Basically, when contesting in CW you don't watch a power meter so you are unaware when the rig fails to transmit.  If it does fail, it is only for a fraction of a second because as soon as you let up the key the transceiver switches to receive and will properly transmit the next time the key is pressed.  You don't notice anything is wrong because the side tone is still there.

What the other end hears is a garbled character, say a 'K' misses the first dash and comes out an 'A'.  You begin to suspect something when you hear your call coming back wrong.

I trapped the problem by watching an external power meter on the output of the transceiver and as soon as I saw what was a loss of power I held the key down to be sure.  The power stayed off for as long as I held down the key, but the side tone and everything else seemed normal.  

Letting the up and then pressing it down even a tiny fraction of a second later restored transmitting power.

Jim  AD0AB  
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Is that just at high speeds or all speeds?
  • DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    All speeds, same problem here. Was absolutely horrible during contest. But only happened on 40m. I guess some component related to CW is very hf sensible. 73
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Any speed, but it really hard to spot at 30+ WPM because the dots and dashes go by so fast.  The real indicator is excessive requests for 'fills' during contests.
    Jim  AD0AB
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Beeing the starter of this thread I just kindly want to remind you all what I wrote:
    This is about bugs... (not about things working as intended i.e. profiles or remote side-tone).

Feel free to start new topics regarding features that is not behaving the way you like :) Lets keep discussing bugs here. This way users that are encounting issues can find out if others are affected and if has been reportetd earlier. And maybye just maybe Flex will noitce the number of users that are affected i.e. getting those bugs moved up on the todo list.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I agree. My switch would ALWAYS be turned off. As a result of auto save I am still on version 2, with $200 burning a hole in my pocket waiting for the auto save on/off switch to be implemented.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I will upgrade as soon as  they add the ON/OFF switch but until then I will stay on SmartSDR version 2.49 as it is the most stable overall at this time.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I remember Eric saying as simple as the on/off switch sounds it would be very difficult to do, but he said that's their problem not ours.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    With respect, Lasse, to me the unannounced changes to existing profiles in Ver 2 IS a bug. It bugs me every day. Also, the explanation given as to why the changes were made doesn’t make sense. Profiles are setup by the user, for the settings the user wishes to set, and should not be changed accidentally by the user inadvertently touching a knob or a control surface or by making a temporary change to a setting. I implore Flex to deliver on this fix.
  • James Whiteway
    edited April 2020
    I'll play,,,,,, the ANF is all but useless on a carrier ( tuner upper. Intentional or otherwise) on top of a QSO . Unless it's a very weak signal ( the tone being generated) then , no matter the setting combos used, the tone blows right thru the top of the conversation you're trying to copy. My Icom radios and the Flex 1500 running PSDR all eliminate offending tones. And leave the recieved signal intact without distortion. Even my Timewave DSP 599 ZX hooked to my 6600M removes the tones without distortion. It appears nothing will ever be done to correct the issue. James WD5GWY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    With all due respect, Flex is not obligated to advertise or tell us about anything they are working on. This is not a bug,. It is a feature. The fact that Flex has been drowned in help desk tickets meant that they needed to do something, it makes great sense. But in doing so It is bothering some because of their operating methods.
    It was great that Eric spent the day talking to us and asked what conditions causes problems, they heard clearly. In my case it makes no difference to me either way. I have had no problems with it in the way I operate.
    So you see, you don't need to implore anyone, leave it with them.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    And adjusting the ANF strength doesn’t help?
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    No, it doesn't help.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I beg to differ Bill, but let’s just leave leave it there. Life is too short to argue over a difference of opinion. Keep well and 73. Winston
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Does not work for me either.   Even at the deepest setting.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    The ANF is not working properly, it's well documented. And it is not a Bug, it is simply unfinished. And this was on the survey most of you took part in.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Interesting.  6600 (non-M) here into an SPE 2K.   I monitor with an LP-700 and work CW 90% of the time, usually around 30 wpm and I don't think I've seen this issue... yet...

I'll keep an eye out for it.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Mark,

Unless you are constantly watching the watt meter you will not be aware of this issue.  Or as Jim says you are being asked for fills.  It seems to be worse with hand sent code using a straight key or bug.  That's when I notice it the most.

Perhaps you could write a little program to send up a Windows alert box when TX power drops out during TX enable being active ?

Joe
    N3HEE

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I see these SSDR crashes too, and like you, Sergey, I can't correlate them to anything. Something I'd like to see is for Flex to publish their network service requirement. I've been playing with a Maestro on SmartLink for the last week or so and it's a hot mess. Waiting for a 50' Ethernet cable to show up so I can eliminate WiFi, but what's the spec? I've looked over years of questions on the forum and there's no hard answer on what triggers a connection reset. Is it n lost packets? Out of sequence packets? k of n lost packets? Checksum errors? If I know the spec I stand a fighting chance of at least configuring my network gear correctly, even though I still have no control over carrier networks. I have multiple 100 Mbps connections on both sides and SME enterprise grade networks on both ends of the connection.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    There are some people with this problem, for most of us I for one have never seen a crash, thanks for posting that screen shot of your crash, now I know what it looks like.
    Asher, it seems that you are having many problems. Have you contacted Flex to ask this question? They have staff that are really good finding out what the problems would be.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Asher, I do not use any wifi on my setup and 6600 and Maestro hard wired to a Network switch. Last week my radio and PC is 24h ON and there is no a single crash.

My typical Network status look like that - captured this morning after about 10hours of idle.

As I said above, it is intermittent and hard to catch a correlation with anything.

Sergey, KN7K
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    I agree about the WNB. 20% humidity here today with a slight breeze. Powerline noise is acting up.

Here is a video of WNB in action.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/onvpyip15p7iw1d/Desktop%202020.04.16%20-%2011.38.23.01.mp4?dl=0

Dave wo2x 
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    What BUGS me is when you set the preamp on Ant 1 than switch to ANT 2 and set preamp than go back to Ant 1 it defaults back to 0 so I set it back to where I want it than switch back to Ant 2 it also defaults back to 0. This past week 10M has had some good openings and it's a real PITA having to keep resetting preamp gain EVERY time just to swap/compare between 2 different antennas. Then theirs what they call "Diversity" reception, I sold my other kidney to get the 2nd receiver thats on the 6600. I ASSumed it was thrrsignal of interest. 
    Using ver 3.1.8
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Do you mean on the 6400? about the preamp settings and ant1 and ant 2?
    The 6400 has one SCU, so that's the only way it can work.
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    6600 look on left side in the ANT tab, theirs slider for adjusting preamp gain
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I just noticed on my post that it chopped off my ending part about Diversity reception, my **** thumb hit send accidentally and now it looks ****, which I am lol and I cannot edit and correct it since Bill was super fast in replying to my post.
    what I wanted to comment regarding the Diversity was that I wish it was like it is with the 5K running Powersdr where you can change the phase between the 2 receivers to either null out or enhance the signal of interest. I hope that makes sense ? 
  • Uwe - DK3WW
    Uwe - DK3WW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Lasse,
    I can confirm what you wrote in point 1. I was extremely annoyed again today. I hope that something like this will be done soon! I am using f6600 with ssdr 3.1.8. 73! Uwe
  • Paul G4AFU
    Paul G4AFU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Lasse/Geoff AB6BT
    I was using my bug at its minimum 22wpm and had to QRS last night on 60m (qrp 10w out) for a newbie so switched to CWX at around 14wpm. The tx dropout was so severe I had to give up on the QSO. I currently use V2.6.1 and am seriously considering rolling back to 2.4.9 if that cures the tx dropout. 
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What bugs me the most?
    Put more effort in learning how your radio work than wasting time reading this!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.