Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I have a problem with my Flex 6600 and power drop-off

Roger G3LDI
Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
I have a problem with my Flex 6600 and power drop-off. It was first notice bya local station who said I had missed several characters when sending CW.I thought it might be SWR related, but the SWR is good. I tried it on dummy load with the same results.If I send a series of dits, you can see the power varying as the FLex is keyed. If the power drops completely I can carry on sending dits with no recovery. If I let go the paddle and start again, power is there. I am using SDR 2.6.1

Comments

• Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I will take a first stab at one potential problem, if you happen to have your transmit bandwidth too tight, then as you bounce around to make contacts, you may get close or beyond the set bandwidth and it will diminish the tx power or stop it entirely. Running digital modes for example, some may narrow the tx bandwidth down to a minimum causing a power drop at the edges of the tx signal.
    If you narrow the tx bandwidth down to say 100 hz, it won't take too much of a shift in your cw frequency position to cause the drop.  Just a thought, 
    Jim  KJ7S
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Does the same thing happen using CWX keyboard. Try the straight key too. It may be a setting on the CW parameters. Check your power limit parameters. From your email you are not using an amplifier.

It is pretty strange. Consider filling out a help desk ticket.

73 Bill W9JJB
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited December 2019
    Hi Roger 

You should open a support case.  One of the first questions they will ask is what is the health of the power supply under full load?  It sounds like the voltage is dropping and this will reduce your RF out.

You'll have to test this by using a voltmeter connected at the back of the radio (not at the power supply) while under full load.  Go into FM at 100% power into a dummy load and see if the voltage starts to sag.

Is your power supply a 25A power supply or greater?  

Mike
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Sounds similar to what I have: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/spuruious-no-power-output
    I still see this, but reducing the transmitter hang time to go over to receive inbetween characters lessen the problem.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have the same problem.  Power goes to zero.  The problem is random and only happens occasionally.  I cannot reproduce the problem.  Started with version 2.5.1.  Flex 6600M.  Only noticed this when sending CW so far.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited December 2019
    Hi Joe

Now would be a good time to open a support case so we can look into it if you haven't already (I didn't check).

Merry Christmas 

Mike
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    That would only be a factor if he was using modulated CW. The transmitted
    bandwidth is under the tab for phone.
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited April 2020
    When this occurs, please make note of both the current and voltage from your power supply.  That data will help our technicians diagnose the issue.  Also, please check your supply cables.  I've seen this symptom due to poor power connections.  The supply cable should be about 3m long or shorter, constructed of #10 AWG and terminated on the radio end with 45A Anderson Powerpole connectors.  If your connectors are warm to the touch, check and clean the contacts. 

Dan
  • Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for the replies guys. My status:
    1  I am not using a linear.
    2  My power supply is a linear 40A supply and the lead is 1.5m long, very thick power cable.
    3  I did some tests on dummy load. When sending a series of dots, IF the fault occurs, I can carry on sending dots ( I have tried up to a few minutes ) and the fault stays, i.e. no output at all. If I just quickly drop the paddle and restart, the power is up full again.
    4  It does not seem to happen when using N1MM, for example I did both CWT periods on CHristmas day and the fault did not occur once.

Next step is to wire up my MM3 and a straight key and test those. However, it looks the same fault the Lasse has and also another local has the same problem, but has not been active over the Christmas period.  It looks to me like a soft/firmware problem. I might raise a support ticket when I have carried out the external keyer checks.
    Many thanks for the replies and have an enjoyable Boxing Day.
    73 de Roger, G3LDI
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Roger I have the same problem.  It rarely happens though.  Let me know if you can reproduce it.  I have tried but cant seem to get it to happen on demand.  I will also open a ticket once I get a better handle on whats happening.  Thanks -Joe N3HEE
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Have you tried a reset?
  • Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I can reproduce it with no problem at all. It is occurring every few seconds now. |If I send a series of dots into a dummy load, it happens after 20 seconds or so. If I keep the paddle pressed the fault stays, and even changing quickly from dots to dashes the fault remains and sill STAY until I de-key. I can the key instantly again with full power until it does it again.
    It happened with the MM3 keying as well, and also when using a CW key within  Logger32. I have a 40A linear power supply and it is wired correctly with heavy duty leads, about 1.5m long. I am not using a linear.
    I think I shall try a reset next, before finally deciding to open a ticket, as N9VC suggests.  Power cable and connectors are cold. I was running 40w into the dummy load.The serial number of the Flex is: 2618-1546-6600-1427
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Roger you seem to suffer a lot more than I do...  I am using V2.60 and Maestro, and it do happens every now and then but can go hours before I noticie it.  Interesting you see it when using Logger32 to key, I have yet to notice the drop-out using either N1MM or DX4Win. As you do use a dummy load it's not RF related, and only 40 w would indicate there is no over current issues.  /Lasse SM5GLC
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Just had a TX power dropout on 160 meters CW calling a JA DX station.  I was in the middle of sending my call sign a couple of times and noticed the power meter on amp go dead.  Also noticed TX monitor on panadapter go dead indicating no RF output. This will happen with or without amplifier in line. Let up on the key and resent call sign without issue.  This does not happen very often so hard to recreate it. 

1. TX power was 34 watts driving Ten Tec Titan @ 1KW
    2. DC power supply 13.3 volts with key down.  13.9 volts with key up.
    3. DC power supply showing 12 Amps key down.
    4. Using my paddles connected to radio.
    5. Semi break in with delay set at 300 ms.
    6. SSDR Win 10 client connected to radio.
    7. FRStack and DX Labs connected to radio.

I will open a ticket.

• Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Joe,
    please do open a ticket ASAP! I have done so and just got this reply:
    "This issue has been logged as defect number: G7759
    At this time the only workaround is to stop sending and allow the radio to transition to RX and then start resending."

We are a number of hams seeing this, and hopefully it will be taken very serious if we all report the issue.
    /Lasse SM5GLC
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I opened a ticket with Flex support yesterday.  I had it happen twice yesterday ! 
  • Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭

As it is now 2022 and I am still suffering this CW power drop to zero - occasionally - but often enough to be VERY ANNOYING, I am just reporting that I have again reverted to version 2.4.10 to lessen the problem. Two others locally are also suffering, but have become disillusioned with the fact that NO updates on SmartSDR have been offered for quite a while. We were hoping that comparing it to PowerSDR, SmartSDR is not as Smart and lacks a lot of potentially very useful things contained in PowerSDR.

We were hoping that there would be a major re-write before Christmas ( 2021 that is! ) but as usual nothing materialised. Several UK amateurs have now abandoned the wait and have transferred loyalties to Elecraft and Icom.

I suspect that the main team at Flex is not CW orientated and that could possibly be why this problem has not been cured. For the record, my circumstances have not changed from those described in December 2019 so this problem is well over two years old now.

Opening a ticket seems to be the only thing we have recourse to use and that does not do much to cure the probem.

Any chance of getting something as a late Christmas Present to us CW fans, PLEASE? Preferably with some nice things that we all use as "Add-ons" at present!

73 de Roger, G3LDI ( PS I am 83 so cannot wait TOO many more years.............)☹️

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

Users of 2.4.10 will not be able to use SmartLink for remote. Might not be an issue for you Roger, but anyone that consider remote, should be aware of this.

/Lasse SM5GLC

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭

Hi Lasse.

Interesting point! Not - as you say - that I am into remote operation, unless they have that facility after I have popped my clogs! Thanks for the details about reversion though. I am just concerned that support for this version might fade as it is quite old.

If enough people complain again there might be an update this year........ Several have got fed up waiting and have changed to other rigs however.

Happy new year to you Lasse.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.