Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

iOS SmartSDR Has Feedback on Transmitted Audio

W9WLX_Chuck
W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS
I'm getting feedback in my transmitted audio using SmartSDR for iOS after setting up a new iPad.  Config is iPad 7th gen running 13.2.3.  Radio is at 3.1.8 and using version A3.6.4:4.43 with DB D3.0.4 (27.9.2019).  I have double checked the obvious, the monitor settings are off on both panels--the right panel P/CW tab and left panel on the Audio tab.  The audio is ok if I use the balanced line input from my local mic, just not any audio from the iPad.  I tried both internal iPad audio and ear bud mic.  I must be missing an audio setting somewhere.

Thanks, Chuck

Answers

• DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited January 2020
    Chuck, it seems you did not yet maintain the Microphone Threshold slider in the left audio menu, right?

This is necessary. A value around 0.4 should be good but it would be best to follow the description in the Manual to find the best value for your individual device.

Marcus, DL8MRE
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There are several of us that have talked about this bad TX audio issue and seems to have started at least with my station when I updated to version 13 of IOS. 
    I have found that dropping down the Audio level almost all the way down < -3 in the "audio" settings for TX in the top Left hand  menu options turn OFF the Processor compression and set your MIC audio in the TX tab so your down to about -5 to -10 DB ALC. 

This does NOT fix the distortion issue BUT it makes it so at least it is usable

Bret
    wx7y

• DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited November 2019
    Bret, did you maintain the Mic Threshold slider yet?
    Marcus
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    yes I sure did it is way down too still distorted and hi TX audio
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks, Marcus.  That seemed to help considerably.  I tweaked it before, but didn't get the result until I went to the extreme.  Seems to work best between 0.9 and 1 for me.
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited November 2019
    And what is your current threshold value?
  • DL8MRE
    DL8MRE Member
    edited November 2019
    That seems to be high but if it’s working, it’s working.

However, if you want, you can also see if the following three settings will further increase the audio quality:

- Under the Flex-6xxx tab -> Phone there is a Mic Bias and Mic boost option. Usually both can be turned off.

- In the right menu, the slider right from the mike selection (iPad or iPhone) can be used to adjust the general audio level

- and finally,  the microphone volume adjustment slider in the left audio menu.

On all of my devices, including older iPads and the newest iPad Pros and iPhones under the newest iOS I achieved excellent audio quality by maintaining these settings, including the threshold slider. Also, when using either the old or new AirPods.

Keep in mind that except for the settings in the left audio menu, all values are stored on the Radio. For those, if you require different values for different clients (iOS App and Windows Software) better use profiles to store and recall them for each client individually.

Marcus, DL8MRE 
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    the threshold is 0.8,  Mic Volume is -5, I will test more tomorrow on our 80 meter NET where i can get many different people giving there opinion. 
    My phone did another update this morning so Audio may have fixed itself, I no longer see it picking up every little bit of noise and slamming the ALC audio levels like it was and the ton's of feed back when trying to monitor my self on another Radio so it may be back to normal.
    will know in the morning at any rate. 
    Thanks Marcus
    Bret
    WX7Y

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    MIC Boost was on
    I think that took care of it
    looks a lot better

Thanks Marcus
    Bret

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Marcus, after this mornings net and it was reported to me that my Audio was really good so looks like the IOS update yesterday morning did the trick 

Thanks for you help 
    Bret
    WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.